By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I Like Mortal Kombat X And All But...

Tagged games:

I don't like how it's called Mortal Combat X when it is the ninth main title in the series. Seriously though, I wouldn't be too concerned about balancing issues because they will get patched over quickly enough. I'd personally be more concerned with issues that will not be so easily rectified such as the underwhelming story mode .

Around the Network
bouzane said:
I don't like how it's called Mortal Combat X when it is the ninth main title in the series. Seriously though, I wouldn't be too concerned about balancing issues because they will get patched over quickly enough. I'd personally be more concerned with issues that will not be so easily rectified such as the underwhelming story mode .

Fighting games aren't supposed to have AAA stories. Im just glad they put one in. More content for me.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

alternine said:
bouzane said:

Fighting games aren't supposed to have AAA stories. Im just glad they put one in. More content for me.

I suppose that in a competitive fighting game like Mortal Kombat the story mode is hardly essential to the experience, I'll give you that. However, you have failed to address my biggest gripe, why is this called Mortal Kombat X when it is the ninth installment in the series :p?

bouzane said:
alternine said:

I suppose that in a competitive fighting game like Mortal Kombat the story mode is hardly essential to the experience, I'll give you that. However, you have failed to address my biggest gripe, why is this called Mortal Kombat X when it is the ninth installment in the series :p?

Mortal Kombat 1

Mortal Kombat 2

Ultimate MK 3

MK 4 Gold

MK Deadly Alliance 

MK Shaolin Monks 

MK Deception 

MK Armageddon 

Mortal Kombat 9

Mortal Kombat X

Im counting 10. Well technically 12 but Special Forces and Mythologies are just spin-offs.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

alternine said:
bouzane said:

Mortal Kombat 1

Mortal Kombat 2

Ultimate MK 3

MK 4 Gold

MK Deadly Alliance 

MK Shaolin Monks 

MK Deception 

MK Armageddon 

Mortal Kombat 9

Mortal Kombat X

Im counting 10. Well technically 12 but Special Forces and Mythologies are just spin-offs.

I was under the impression that Shaolin Monks was also a spin-off but watching some videos I can see I was mistaken. That's one less gripe (as minor as it was lol) and I'm sure most of the others are going to get fixed soon enough. I'm definitely going to pick this one up at some point.

How good are the new characters? Also, who is your main?

Around the Network
bouzane said:
alternine said:

Mortal Kombat 1

Mortal Kombat 2

Ultimate MK 3

MK 4 Gold

MK Deadly Alliance 

MK Shaolin Monks 

MK Deception 

MK Armageddon 

Mortal Kombat 9

Mortal Kombat X

I was under the impression that Shaolin Monks was also a spin-off but watching some videos I can see I was mistaken. That's one less gripe (as minor as it was lol) and I'm sure most of the others are going to get fixed soon enough. I'm definitely going to pick this one up at some point.

All the new characters have there ups and downs but overall they're all pretty good. My main is Takeda. His combos take some time to learn but its EXTREMELY satisfying to pull one off during a match lol

- Max Payne 3

I think NetherRealm overall nowadays have gotten sloppy and a tad bit greedy.

Mystro, dont blame Netherealm. This is all on WB, the publisher. They did terrible things and probably will again with Batman aswell.

bouzane said:
alternine said:

Mortal Kombat 1

Mortal Kombat 2

Ultimate MK 3

MK 4 Gold

MK Deadly Alliance 

MK Shaolin Monks 

MK Deception 

MK Armageddon 

Mortal Kombat 9

Mortal Kombat X

The list is incorrect. Shaolin monks is a spin-off. Mortal Kombat vs DC  is Mortal Kombat 8. The game was called mk8 as it went under development hell with the fall of midway and WB aquisition. The game emerged as MK vs DC.

MKX is mortal kombat 10. Dunno what the X stands for. Maybe the green power that runs in the cage family.

Besides that, i totally disagree with Alternine. The story is the main factor of the vast majority of fighting game's sales and hardcore playing is a minority in comparison, despite it beeing the main atraction of the game. Heck, they even have an option to skip fights in this game, wich i find ludicrous but hints you that that is the case. Not everyone has the time or reflexes to become good at fighting games and just buy them for the story and because they look cool.

I am actually sure that most people that played SF4 dont even know the game has combos, because they are so tough to pull off.

In case you are curious, i started by using Johnny Cage in stunt double variation, but after practicing combos i found the nut punch too unintuitive to pull off in combos, so i ended up migrating to Balance Kenshi. Lots of character seem fun to use. I will definitly try to learn the kenjutsu variation of Kenshi, Sub-zero, Reptile and maybe ermac once he gets a better outfit. I'm also looking forward to Tremor, but i wont be getting any DLC until they sort the online out and my Goro, because i dont have the pre-order code working nor can i purchase him manually.

Nem said:

MKX is mortal kombat 10. Dunno what the X stands for. Maybe the green power that runs in the cage family.

Roman numerals man...roman numerals

sundin13 said:
Nem said:

Roman numerals man...roman numerals

They have said that the game is called MK "Ex", not MK10... though it is the 10th in the series. Yeah the roman numeral is obvious, but there has to be more to it. I'm sure the next one wont be called MKXI.