By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Both Playstation and Xbox Survive If Nintendo Makes A Console Comeback?

Who Drops Out if Nintendo Makes a Comeback?

Sony 49 6.10%

Microsoft 161 20.05%

Nobody Drops Out 298 37.11%

Nintendo Isn't Making a Comeback 295 36.74%

Total:803
Burek said:
Samus Aran said:

Wait, then why do Nintendo's games outsell those of Sony and Microsoft?

How many ten million sellers does Sony or MS have?

Nintendo has had 24 ten million + sellers in the 21th century.

Because if you own a Nintendo console, you only have about 24 games in total to choose from. PS and XBox owners have many many more games to choose from, so the individual games get their sales spread out between hundreds of titles.

If you bothered to check, you would easily have seen that even though Wii sold the most consoles, it is dead last in software sales. 

That was due to rampant piracy that infested the Wii. Its the most modded console in gaming history.

Around the Network

south east asian gamers have the pirated Wii version. and it was bundled with 10 games from what I've bought before. :)
since I've bought the Wii U, i'm buying the original Wii games.

anyway, back on topic, it is hard to say Nintendo would do a comeback as it is not their nature to push to have another identical system like PS/XBOX is. And we all know 3rd party won't support it that much.

absolutely not. both dead in the water ;) (just kidding, fanboys)

bunchanumbers said:
Burek said:

Because if you own a Nintendo console, you only have about 24 games in total to choose from. PS and XBox owners have many many more games to choose from, so the individual games get their sales spread out between hundreds of titles.

If you bothered to check, you would easily have seen that even though Wii sold the most consoles, it is dead last in software sales. 

That was due to rampant piracy that infested the Wii. Its the most modded console in gaming history.

So people pirate Wii so much that it have a low attach ratio, but then decide to break record on 10M+ SW sellers???

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
bunchanumbers said:

So people pirate Wii so much that it have a low attach ratio, but then decide to break record on 10M+ SW sellers???

Yes.  Did you notice how many of those games were games that are not considered by the core gamer? Wii Sports, Wii Fit, NSMB etc. Those games were bought by the family people who wouldn't consider modding a console and game piracy.

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:

There's just so much wrong with this post, I barely know where to start..

"Nintendo will never make a comeback, because the two "major" consoles are now PS and XBox, and third party publishers will never be inclined to return to Nintendo, as it has shown that it cannot sell consoles just based on its first-party games."

Third parties are always inclined to develop for nintendo, they don't for shadier reasons.

"Nintendo is a company stuck in the 20th century, making games stuck in the 20th century, and people are not interested in those games anymore, as can be seen by the WiiU results."

Nintendo is the only company that keeps making quality non rehashed games, and people are so interested that their biggest games always sells in the millions.

"Its next console, the announced NX will probably sell even worse, and will mark Nintendo's exit from home console market. That is why it was very wise of them to make a push towards mobile games, as that is where they should seek their fortune in the future.

I truly believe their home console existence is approaching the end very soon."

They don't have any home console announced and predicting the performance of an unnanounced machine that we know nothing of is just... wrong.

...okay, even as someone who enjoys his Wii U, I wouldn't go that far. o.O Nintendo isn't exactly a bastion of not rehashing the same concepts over, and over, and over, and over, to say nothing for a lineup that ultimately relies on the same main IPs all but ad nauseum.

However, while I disagree on originality, I do agree with you on quality, and I believe that speaks more to Nintendo's restraint when it comes to game development. Nintendo takes simple enough concepts, doesn't try to 'Go Big' and overextend as so many publishers do to their detriment, while polishing that core experience to a shine before even considering doing anything else with it. Look at Smash Bros. For Wii U; some new shiny features that are ultimately extremely simple in design, some new characters, but it's still the same basic game Brawl was, just as Brawl was the same basic game Melee was, etc. Rather than go nuts trying to make it into this even bigger, even more complex project, they kept their focus on getting all the elements in the game correct, as well as running buttery smooth, making their title compact, efficient, and highly enjoyable. ^_^

Comparing this to, say, Assassin's Creed Unity, where Ubisoft was all excited about their enormous crowds and traversable Paris interiors and blah blah blah, but ultimately spent so much time and so many resources trying to 'go bigger,' there not only wasn't any polish on the finished product, the thing was all but covered in splinters and exposed nails. xP The game sure as hell doesn't feel compact, or efficient, and I doubt my completion rate on that thing is even going to hit fifty percent before I get tired of it. More restraint, (thinking 'let's get this right,' rather than 'MAKE IT BIGGER!') might have done the game some good.

So yes, in partial disagreement there. I think Nintendo's in a very comfortable box that leads to, often, concepts being reused essentially to death, but that same comfortable box keeps them from reaching farther than their grasp, allowing them to work on quality as opposed to quantity or size.

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Ka-pi96 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
As far as the US in concerned, they haven't won since the NES which was like, 30 years ago. I seriously doubt they will ever win again either. I just don't see it happening. Things come, things go. It's just the order of life.

Same for Europe. Actually I think the Sega Master System may have even beat the NES in Europe meaning they've never won here.

Really? That's pretty interesting. Most people don't realize that Nintendo really hasn't had all that much success with consoles. It's their handhelds that have been dominant.

zippy said:
PxlStorm said:
Nintendo won't make a huge comeback. They'll never have a truly succesful home console again.

I remember quite a few comments like this thrown around when Gamecube was failing..we all know what happened after that.

Do you really expect another success like the Wii?

Burek said:
Samus Aran said:

Wait, then why do Nintendo's games outsell those of Sony and Microsoft?

How many ten million sellers does Sony or MS have?

Nintendo has had 24 ten million + sellers in the 21th century.

Sorry, no. Most of these ten-million-sellers came from Wii and DS. And these had big amounts of games. Is it really so hard to admit, that Nintendo does some very popular games? I constantly read from PS- and X-owners, they want Nintendo to go third-party, so they can play their games. Downplaying these numbers is like saying PS4 has no games or Vita is a bad console. That all isn't true.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

PxlStorm said:
zippy said:
PxlStorm said:
Nintendo won't make a huge comeback. They'll never have a truly succesful home console again.

I remember quite a few comments like this thrown around when Gamecube was failing..we all know what happened after that.

Do you really expect another success like the Wii?

If they adopt the Wii-strategy (or something similar) - why not.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]