By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Without Playstation, would the industry be in another crisis?

The Saturn would've just got all those games like Final Fantasy VII (which they were negotiating for, Sony outbid them), Resident Evil 2/3/etc., Metal Gear Solid, Dragon Quest VII, Tomb Raider 2, etc.

The Saturn was a bit harder to program for but it's not like it was impossible, the PS2 was also a pain in the ass to code for and developers got over it.

Which means Sega probably would've won that gen and made a lot of money, more than enough to survive. 

In which case, to be honest I think I'd prefer that scenario to the scenario of Sony being around. I like the Uncharted series, but to be honest, I wouldn't exactly miss any of Sony's other IP all that much.

Whereas the loss of golden-era Sega is a real shame ... so many great IP basically defunct now, and it drew Microsoft into the business which wasn't a net positive in my mind either.

I would prefer an industry with Sega vs. a Nintendo that's relevant to the mainstream console user (not just a handheld + maybe a soccer mom console company), versus basically the Sony/MS split we have today with Sega basically reduced to nothing and Nintendo pushed out into a niche console player for Nintendo fanatics only.

Warned - Leadified

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

I really don't get this argument, if Nintendo's practices to 3rd parties were so evil than why did they continue releasing games for them? Couldn't they have easily said, "fuck off Nintendo!!!!" and developed their games elsewhere?

SG-1000 by Sega literally released the same day as Famicom in Japan and NES shipped a whopping 200,000 in America at the time of the Sega Master System & Atari 7800 releases. 3rd parties had other options if they felt they were being mistreated, yet they stuck by Nintendo's side and kept making games for them.

Because the other platforms weren't viable... if they released for another company they couldn't release for Nintendo, so they would lose the lot bigger enviroment.

U just ignored what I said, there was no bigger environment.

SG-1000 released the exact same day as Famicom (NES) in Japan.

NES had shipped only 200,000 in the US when the competitors released.

If Nintendo's restrictions were so harmful to 3rd parties they wouldn't have supported Nintendo in the first place.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Nintendo's policies to third parties were draconian in the 80s/90s, that said Playstation fans always convienantly gloss over the Genesis. The Genesis provided competetion, so by the early 90s, Nintendo's "monopoly" on the console market was a non-issue.

Also the whole "consoles were toys before" is such a lark too. The Sega Genesis and Sega CD were designed to look like high end stereo components for an adult, not toys, so again, Sega did that first.

If anything Sony did nothing but rip Sega off ... Crash Bandicoot is an obvious knock off of Sonic the Hedgehog, Tekken was their answer to Virtua Fighter, Ridge Racer to Sega's arcade racers. Sega was already doing all the same stuff in the mid-90s, Sony just piggy-backed on what Sega was doing and took advantage of poor decision making by Sega's Japan division.

If there was no Playstation, the Saturn simply would've just taken the third party titles that Sony got (FFVII, Tekken, MGS, etc.) and they would've sold 80-100 million Saturns, thus putting them in a great position for the following gen. Nintendo would've taken their licks and come back at Sega the next-gen with the GameCube. 

Soundwave said:

Nintendo's policies to third parties were draconian in the 80s/90s, that said Playstation fans always convienantly gloss over the Genesis. The Genesis provided competetion, so by the early 90s, Nintendo's "monopoly" on the console market was a non-issue.

Also the whole "consoles were toys before" is such a lark too. The Sega Genesis and Sega CD were designed to look like high end stereo components for an adult, not toys, so again, Sega did that first.

If anything Sony did nothing but rip Sega off ... Crash Bandicoot is an obvious knock off of Sonic the Hedgehog, Tekken was their answer to Virtua Fighter, Ridge Racer to Sega's arcade racers. Sega was already doing all the same stuff in the mid-90s, Sony just piggy-backed on what Sega was doing and took advantage of poor decision making by Sega's Japan division.

If there was no Playstation, the Saturn simply would've just taken the third party titles that Sony got (FFVII, Tekken, MGS, etc.) and they would've sold 80-100 million Saturns, thus putting them in a great position for the following gen. Nintendo would've taken their licks and come back at Sega the next-gen with the GameCube. 

I agree with a lot of what ur saying except for Saturn selling 80-100 million. While Playstation did not make consoles mainstream in America/Japan, they certainly did outside of those regions. Genesis+SNES did about 20 million outside of America/Japan, Playstation alone sold about 45 million. I think that's something we need to take into consideration when trying to predict sales 5th Gen sales when taking Playstation out of the equation.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Because the other platforms weren't viable... if they released for another company they couldn't release for Nintendo, so they would lose the lot bigger enviroment.

U just ignored what I said, there was no bigger environment.

SG-1000 released the exact same day as Famicom (NES) in Japan.

NES had shipped only 200,000 in the US when the competitors released.

If Nintendo's restrictions were so harmful to 3rd parties they wouldn't have supported Nintendo in the first place.

Nope, I haven't... give a valid reason then for a publisher to ignore SG-1000 and release on NES and be mandated to keep that game exclusive for 2 years with no monetary incentive besides you either do that or you leave... when PS was a strong alternative they left and never truly came back. How is that for 3rd party satisfaction for you? Or you think they don't release on Nintendo just to be mean?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:
DonFerrari said:

And was that a good 3rd partie relationship?? Nintendo still don't know how to properly foster their relationship with 3rd parties.

They totally do, but nintendo's will alone isn't enough because of everything that happens behind the curtains.

So MS can pay for exclusives, take out exclusives from Sony, even when selling half the amount still get support even when not paying, but everyone avoids Nintendo because Nintendo knows how to get along, how to please and wants to do it, but misterious forces behind the curtain prevents that from happening? Even though they get support on HH?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

RubberWhistleHistle said:
DonFerrari said:
RubberWhistleHistle said:
i think i would prefer the industry without sony in it to be honest with you. i love the playstation, and to a lesser extent the playstation 2, but at this point, the ps3 and ps4 have been incredibly useless, participating in this competition with microsoft that has done nothing but dragged this industry through the mud. they have absolutely no respect for what gaming is.

if it were just nintendo and sega, the differences that i see are 1) gaming would have stayed niche for longer. at this point, it would be a lot more mainstream. 2) online gaming wouldnt be what it is today (which is probably a good thing, guys. think about it) and 3) games would be more evolved than they are now. 90% of the games that are released would focus on the important aspects of gaming rather than cutscenes and turning them into movies

We all know you would.

Is all you read the first sentence? lol

I read everything... just enfatized the part of you that is crystal clear for anyone... you don't like Sony and MS, and would love if Nintendo had like 90% marketshare... won't you update yours Sony won't ever get 50% marketshare for home consoles on 8th gen??? This year it have been outselling both all weeks. I miss your thread.

zorg1000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

They've never done anything short of paying for exclusivity. What Nintendo did was strong arm people into putting tech in their hardware preventing third party from venturing out and going multiplat. It was a scare tactic. Atari thought it was Nintendo trying to create a monopoly but it was really just Nintendo using strong arm tactics to hold down and force third party games to be exclusive. Its amazing how much people rationalize this stuff and no, MS and Sony have never done this.

Like I have already said multiple times in this thread, if 3rd parties really felt they were being mistreated they could have developed games elsewhere. Nintendo only shipped 200,000 NES in North America by August 1986 which is right around the time Atari 7800 & Sega Master System released. Also Sega's SG-1000 released the same day as Famicom in Japan, 3rd parties had other options before Nintendo gained massive marketshare, nobody made 3rd parties make Nintendo games.

Thats a terrible excuse. They are in business to make money just like anyone else. They were just forced into exclusivity when they wanted to expand. Thats what third parties do. Nintendo's force of using exclusivity would've broken contract with them and they essentially would have to go to the smallest market possible to make money. Nintendo knew they had the majority of the market so they used the tech to keep them locked in on their console. Nintendo is the reason Nintendo initially was thrown into a spiral of constant spending on first party just to stay alive. There is no excusing it. The court threw it out but they talked to Nintendo about unfair practices.

Soundwave said:

The Saturn would never have sold 80 to 100 million with or without the Playstations existence. Nintendo still maintained control over most third party and they wouldn't have wanted to screw the pooch and Sega has been notorious for pissing off third party with their erratic behavior. Sony was a breath of fresh air to third party and those who wanted a multimedia device hence the Playstations popularity. Sega would never have been as popular as the Playstation and would never have expanded the industry.

Sony was the mega corporation looking down upon two smaller entities in that time period. They understood how to dominate without personally affecting either of them, which was partnering with most third party instead of arguing with them like Nintendo or creating faulty launches out of fear like Sega.

Third party needed a company that share their vision and could usher in a new era of gaming. Neither Nintendo or Sega were up to the task so Sony took their cookies.

generic-user-1 said:

you can see if a game is alpha or not on steam, just dont buy the alphas...

the average console gamer is a casual gamer, thats why they are fine with things like no mod support and that why they think gaming isnt in a crisis.  we havnt seen new game modes or genres or goo new features last gen, all we got is day1 dlc and smaller games for a gen.

thats why so many people are raging about sw battlefront. the game is much smaller and has alot less features than Battlefront 2.  a gap of 1 gen and nothing is bigger or new, they just cut cut cut.  just like they did with other games.

XD gaming is in a crisis..... Not

Battlefront 2 maps are not anywhere near as detailed as say Battlefield maps. There is NO WAY for them to cover the entire Star Wars universe in Battlefield quality. It is impossible.

Also about Steam and pre-alphas.... or Valve could stop trying to cash grab and force devs to put games up when they are done