By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Without Playstation, would the industry be in another crisis?

DonFerrari said:
Materia-Blade said:

They totally do, but nintendo's will alone isn't enough because of everything that happens behind the curtains.

So MS can pay for exclusives, take out exclusives from Sony, even when selling half the amount still get support even when not paying, but everyone avoids Nintendo because Nintendo knows how to get along, how to please and wants to do it, but misterious forces behind the curtain prevents that from happening? Even though they get support on HH?

Who says they are misterious? and what does this have to do with handhelds (that still aren't very supported)?

Around the Network
rolltide101x said:
generic-user-1 said:

you can see if a game is alpha or not on steam, just dont buy the alphas...

the average console gamer is a casual gamer, thats why they are fine with things like no mod support and that why they think gaming isnt in a crisis.  we havnt seen new game modes or genres or goo new features last gen, all we got is day1 dlc and smaller games for a gen.

thats why so many people are raging about sw battlefront. the game is much smaller and has alot less features than Battlefront 2.  a gap of 1 gen and nothing is bigger or new, they just cut cut cut.  just like they did with other games.

XD gaming is in a crisis..... Not

Battlefront 2 maps are not anywhere near as detailed as say Battlefield maps. There is NO WAY for them to cover the entire Star Wars universe in Battlefield quality. It is impossible.

Also about Steam and pre-alphas.... or Valve could stop trying to cash grab and force devs to put games up when they are done

battlefront 3 is just a cashgrab, like we saw so many in the last years...

and i dont mind pre alphas if they are called prealpha.

deskpro2k3 said:

There would be no Uncharted, Legend of Dragoon, and no Star Ocean: The Second Story etc. It would be pretty bad with just Mario and friends for all of eternity.

Without Nintendo games like Xenoblade, Bayonetta 2, The Last Story, Metroid, Zelda, Sin&Punishment, Mario Bros, Fatal Frame, etc. the gaming world would be a real wasteland.

I don't see Sony contributed much to gaming aside being bro with third parties. All the innovative stuff happened elsewhere. Don't get me wrong: the Playstations are fantastic gaming machines but there is nothing special about them. Every company could invented them.

RolStoppable said:
I have a couple of questions for the original poster:

1. You've made a lot of assertions, but when you were challenged, you couldn't be bothered to answer. Aside from a single response that reiterated the same flawed points, you didn't post in this thread.

2. Based on the above, the following question is absolutely justified: Has this been a hit and run trolling thread all along?

I'm not obliged to respond to everyone when the thread is nearly 500 posts with tons of interwoven discussions. If you bothered to quote me, I would have seen your comment and I might have given feedback on what you think. But that didn't happen and I didn't know you posted here until you whined about it in a different thread just now.

It's fine that you care so much about my thread, but I don't think my "what if" hypothetical scenario requires any challenge, it's just guesswork (and a pretty good one at that). Now, do I care enough to respond to your 2 cents? Probably not, this thread is a week old, right now I'm not in the mood and spirited to discuss old things, I have other things to do. Maybe I'll come back later or create a different thread where you'll get the chance to get noticed.

z101 said:
deskpro2k3 said:

There would be no Uncharted, Legend of Dragoon, and no Star Ocean: The Second Story etc. It would be pretty bad with just Mario and friends for all of eternity.

Without Nintendo games like Xenoblade, Bayonetta 2, The Last Story, Metroid, Zelda, Sin&Punishment, Mario Bros, Fatal Frame, etc. the gaming world would be a real wasteland.

I don't see Sony contributed much to gaming aside being bro with third parties. All the innovative stuff happened elsewhere. Don't get me wrong: the Playstations are fantastic gaming machines but there is nothing special about them. Every company could invented them.

That makes no sense. Hey lets praise playstation and then insult it..

Without playstation, there would be no Xenogear/Saga. If it wasn't for the those two, there would be no spinoff title like Xenoblade. Period.

Mario is what sells for Nintendo, and Pokemon.

Stay tuned for Pokemon Metalic Black. /s

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
z101 said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Without playstation, there would be no Xenogear/Saga. If it wasn't for the those two, there would be no spinoff title like Xenoblade. Period.

Why wouldn't Xenogears have been made without Playstation? It was developed and published by Square, Sony/Playstation had nothing to do with it.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
padib said:

And it was just established earlier that, had Sony not been in the picture, Nintendo would have had a CD-based console and not have any legal issues.

Thats why they contacted Sony though, right? Panasonic was no Sony. Sony had influence over the masses when it came to tech. What Samsung is today, they were in the 90's. Nintendo did not agree with the terms of the contract so they walked out on Sony. In a way Sony should thank Nintendo for walking out on them because their revenge brought them to a better place where they could find stability once everything else fell down around them. Sony's biggest influence upon gaming was using their influence increase media in more peoples homes. Without Sony the industry wouldn't have had that type of influence. I know for sure Microsofts influence wouldn't have been format based and Nintendo is dependent upon third party. 3DO was a group effort to enter the gaming realm by Tripp Hawkins with the likes of LG and Panasonic partnering with them and look how that turned out?

Panasonic (formerly Matsushita Electric Industrial) is an old and respected company in Japan.  It's also Japan's largest corporate employer.  They were very much involved in the consumer electronics field since the beginning and showed rapid progress into the 80's, 90's, 00's.  They sold products under a number of brands (i.e. Panasonic, National, JVC, Technics, etc).  Panasonic was also in the forefront of optical disc/CD technology, and that's what Nintendo needed in a technology partner.  Being another Japanese company would make things all the easier.  Panasonic had influence in the electronics field, especially in Japan.  And Japan is where a CD system would have helped Nintendo immensely.

I would prefer an industry with Nintendo-Sega, I think we would be better off as gamers, the collapse of Sega in particular really has robbed people of so many great games and so much personality from the gaming ranks.

So if Playstation didn't exist, most of those third party games simply would've just went to the Saturn, Sega would've shaken off a slow-ish start with the Saturn (not like the Playstation had a great start either) to win that gen and make a lot of money.

In my opinion that would've been the preferable scenario.

But y'know you can't really blame Sony. They won fair and square. The console race is less about matching each other for "big plays" like the fanboys make it out to be (as in a "oh yeah?! we'll top your big game/announcement with this even bigger one!" type thing). It's more like a game of golf ... the company/person that makes the fewest mistakes generally ends up winning.

That's basically Sony. They don't do anything shockingly mind blowing, but they don't make a lot of the stupid mistakes Nintendo and Sega (and even Microsoft) have gotten themselves into, other than the $600 PS3 to force feed Blu-Ray to people. In 20 years of being in the console biz that's the only major mistake they've made and by 2007 or so, the PS3 was already coming down in price to a reasonable level.

deskpro2k3 said:
z101 said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I guess Animal Crossing, Tomodachi Life, Luigi's Mansion, Super Smash Bros. and Zelda don't count anymore. And that's just the heavy hitters.

If we also include the games they publish in the West there's Monster Hunter, Yo-kai Watch and Professor Layton.

And since you're including spin-off games you shouldn't minimalize Mario like that. There's Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Captain Toad, Mario Party, 2D Mario platformers, 3D Mario platformers, etc.

They also have lot's of franchises that sell decently like Metroid, Fire Emblem and Star Fox.

And then there's their new franchises like Splatoon and xenoblade.

Monolith Soft would still exist without Sony lol.

Samus Aran said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I guess Animal Crossing, Tomodachi Life, Luigi's Mansion, Super Smash Bros. and Zelda don't count anymore. And that's just the heavy hitters.

If we also include the games they publish in the West there's Monster Hunter, Yo-kai Watch and Professor Layton.

And since you're including spin-off games you shouldn't minimalize Mario like that. There's Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Captain Toad, Mario Party, 2D Mario platformers, 3D Mario platformers, etc.

They also have lot's of franchises that sell decently like Metroid, Fire Emblem and Star Fox.

And then there's their new franchises like Splatoon and xenoblade.

Monolith Soft would still exist without Sony lol.

The majority of that falls under Mario and friends and yes, they are making more Mario and friend games so don't sugar coat it.

Secondly, I'm talking about franchises, not Monolith Soft, because we all know Monolith Soft exist.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5