By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Without Playstation, would the industry be in another crisis?

deskpro2k3 said:

The majority of that falls under Mario and friends and yes, they are making more Mario and friend games so don't sugar coat it.

Secondly, I'm talking about franchises, not Monolith Soft, because we all know Monolith Soft exist.

Nintendo has more iconic franchises than any other company.

The majority of Sony's games also fall under a certain category (movie inspired games/cinematic games). There's a bigger difference between Paper Mario and Super Mario 3D World than between TLOU and Uncharted. But I guess it doesn't count because it uses the same characters? Big freaking woop. Gameplay is more important than presentation.

Monolith Soft would still make great games with or without Sony.

I also forgot to mention Punch-Out! and Pikmin.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
deskpro2k3 said:

The majority of that falls under Mario and friends and yes, they are making more Mario and friend games so don't sugar coat it.

Secondly, I'm talking about franchises, not Monolith Soft, because we all know Monolith Soft exist.

The majority of Sony's games also fall under a certain category (movie inspired games/cinematic games). There's a bigger difference between Paper Mario and Super Mario 3D World than between TLOU and Uncharted. But I guess it doesn't count because it uses the same characters? Big freaking woop. Gameplay is more important than presentation.

Don't derail the subject I'm not talking about Nintendo exclusives either. If you wasnt speaking out of context, you'll stay on point.

The fact of the matter is that Nintendo existed back then, but if there was no PlayStation for Xenogears, there would be no Xeno series, period.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
Samus Aran said:

Don't derail the subject I'm not talking about Nintendo exclusives either. If you wasnt speaking out of context, you'll stay on point.

The fact of the matter is that Nintendo existed back then, but if there was no PlayStation for Xenogears, there would be no Xeno series, period.

Yeah, because xenogears couldn't have possibly launched on an N64 or Saturn. /s

Another thing to mention again is that if there was no Playstation then the Sega Saturn wouldn't have launched early in the US.

The Saturn had a surprise launch in the US where they announced at E3 1995 that it would be available for sale immediately.

This caused the following problems:

• They didn't have enough stock of consoles or games for retailers and had to pick and choose who to supply. 
  • They also didn't have enough choice for retail games available at the surprise launch either.
  • In the US because the Saturn was rushed into production to get in onto shelves early it added to the launch price.

All these things hurt the Saturn with both consumers and retailers.

Samus Aran said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Yeah, because xenogears couldn't have possibly launched on an N64 or Saturn. /s

Nope, don't u know anything?

Without Playstation games like Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy VII would have never been made and adults wouldn't have started playing games!!!!!!

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

With ps4 domination the order has been restored in home console gaming. Nintendo should focus on handhelds because none of their home consoles is going to cross 40-50 million mark again. Plus old gamers are tired of playing Mario, Zelda and others over and over again. This Industry needs new ideas, ips and successful third parties to widen the potential of gaming. If Nintendo was in charge then such things would've never happened.

daredevil.shark said:
With ps4 domination the order has been restored in home console gaming. Nintendo should focus on handhelds because none of their home consoles is going to cross 40-50 million mark again. Plus old gamers are tired of playing Mario, Zelda and others over and over again. This Industry needs new ideas, ips and successful third parties to widen the potential of gaming. If Nintendo was in charge then such things would've never happened.

Keep playing CoD, Assasins Creed, Batman Arkham series, Halo, GoW, The Witcher, Uncharted, TLOU (we all know a sequel is in development), LBP, Gears of War, FF, etc.

Those games never get sequels! Such new ideas!

So tired of the obvious hypocricy in the "Nintendo only rehashes the same games" posts.

Of the games I'm buying this year not a single one features Mario: Captain Toad, Majora's Mask 3D, Splatoon, Yoshi's Woolly World and Xenoblade Chronicles X. All different genres as well. I'm sure they'll announce some new games as well at E3 for 2015.

If people are tired of Zelda then why is Majora's Mask 3D outpacing Ocarina of Time 3D and ALBW in sales?

If Nintendo was in charge third parties would cease to exist? How will you explain that one to me?

Samus Aran said:
daredevil.shark said:

Keep playing CoD, Assasins Creed, Batman Arkham series, Halo, GoW, The Witcher, Uncharted, TLOU (we all know a sequel is in development), LBP, Gears of War, FF, etc.

So tired of the obvious hypocricy in the "Nintendo only rehashes the same games" posts.

Of the games I'm buying this year not a single one features Mario: Captain Toad, Majora's Mask 3D, Splatoon, Yoshi's Woolly World and Xenoblade Chronicles X. All different genres as well. I'm sure they'll announce some new games as well at E3 for 2015.

If people are tired of Zelda then why is Majora's Mask 3D outpacing Ocarina of Time 3D and ALBW in sales?

If Nintendo was in charge third parties would cease to exist? How will you explain that one to me?

ROFL. You put the last of us and witcher there? Ha ha ha. Tlou sequel isnt announced but this will be yearly rehash. Are you from future or really talking without thinking? By that logic captain toad or splatoon is a yearly game. This comment is so immature that I don't even know how to respond.

daredevil.shark said:
Samus Aran said:

ROFL. You put the last of us and witcher there? Ha ha ha. Tlou sequel isnt announced but this will be yearly rehash. Are you from future or really talking without thinking? By that logic captain toad or splatoon is a yearly game. This comment is so immature that I don't even know how to respond.

Who said anything about yearly rehashes? All these franchises get released in a more rapid rate than console 3D Mario platformers or Zelda games. One of the developers at ND said he was working on TLOU2 on his linkedin profile.

None of them are new IPs or new ideas as you like to claim. List your most anticipated games of this year, how many of them are new IPs?

But nooo, only evil Nintendo makes sequels to their existing franchises!

You're basically saying Nintendo needs to stop developing Mario and Zelda games. Some of the most succesful franchises in gaming history. It would take an incredibly stupid company to stop producing Mario and Zelda games. Companies make sequels to games that sell. Deal with it.

Samus Aran said:

None of them are new IPs or new ideas as you like to claim. List your most anticipated games of this year, how many of them are new IPs?

But nooo, only evil Nintendo makes sequels to their existing franchises!

You're basically saying Nintendo needs to stop developing Mario and Zelda games. Some of the most succesful franchises in gaming history. It would take an incredibly stupid company to stop producing Mario and Zelda games. Companies make sequels to games that sell. Deal with it.

AC, COD, Batman all came in Nintendo systems. How do you say it? Releasing them in Nintendo systems is bad?

Samus Aran said:

You actually bothered to put final fantasy there? Didnt final fantasy originated in Nintendo home consoles and kept getting sequels after sequels in NES and SNES?