By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Without Playstation, would the industry be in another crisis?

Mr Puggsly said:
Materia-Blade said:

"The Nunchuck has a joystick, but not the Wiimote. For dual joysticks people had to get the Pro Controller."

Wiimote and nunchuck should always be considered together. and although a second analogue would be great for camera controls, the wiimote far surpasses the second analogue for fps (a genre that is casual but you consider core).

"No, by 2010 core software sales were abysmal on Wii. The biggest hits were Black Ops and Goldeneye."

cod isn't core. But regardless, wii got about 20 releases in 2010 that sold at least 500k. among them are super mario galaxy 2, donkey kong country returns, metroid other m, xenoblade chronicles (japan), kirby's epic yarn, epic mickey...

"Please show me the numbers that say Wii did as good or better at moving core software than SNES/PS1/PS2. Please show me these numbers that don't exist in our reality."

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=&platform=Wii&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

Best selling mario kart, best selling non bundled 2d mario, best selling smash bros, best selling 3d mario (and a 2nd 3d mario that still beat sunshine), best selling mario party, 2nd best selling legend of zelda + numerous multimillion sellers from existing franchises + dozen million sellers from new franchises...

This is the reality and your downplaying will never change it.

I am considering the Wiimote and Nunchuck together. Even together there is only one joystick. The Pro Controller has two joysticks. If the Wiimote had a joystick your argument would actually have some validity.

Not everyone agree the Wiimote is superior for shooters. Which is why the Pro Controller exist and most people play shooters on gamepads. Shooters do better on platforms with core appeal, something Nintendo platforms lack.

Haha! You consider 500K great numbers? The reality is that's why core support died on Wii. Those sales are crap compared to what PS360 were achieving. Core games were lucky to do 500K on Wii while its competitors were doing multi millions. Again, you say CoD isn't core but ignore how well it does on core platforms.

I said show me Wii did better at moving core software than SNES/PS1/PS2. I didn't ask for proof Wii could sell casual stuff and Mario games.

I'm not downplaying the Wii, I acknowledge what it did successfully. You on the other hand are trying to convince me it was a success in the core market and it wasn't. Bottom line, if Wii was a successful core platform then the Wii U wouldn't be struggling this bad right now.

"I am considering the Wiimote and Nunchuck together. Even together there is only one joystick. The Pro Controller has two joysticks. If the Wiimote had a joystick your argument would actually have some validity."

The games did just fine with what the wiimote + nunchuck had, so no.

"Haha! You consider 500K great numbers? The reality is that's why core support died on Wii."

GOSH, you didn't even read, did you? IN 2010, WII GOT 20 RELEASES THAT SOLD A MINIMUM OF 500K. most were multi million sellers.

"Those sales are crap compared to what PS360 were achieving."

ps360 had games that were multimillion sellers and also games that barely sold 500k. wii had games that were multimillion sellers and also games that barely sold 500k.

"Core games were lucky to do 500K on Wii while its competitors were doing multi millions"

Regardless of your definition of "core", that will always remain false.

"Again, you say CoD isn't core but ignore how well it does on core platforms."

Core platforms? you're gonna insist on those imaginary terms? anyway, if you think cod of all things is core, than you cannot possibly consider any genre as casual.

"I said show me Wii did better at moving core software than SNES/PS1/PS2. I didn't ask for proof Wii could sell casual stuff and Mario games."

"Casual stuff and mario games" This is pure downplaying. I didn't know that zelda, metroid, kirby, DK, fire emblem, xenoblade, punch out, sin and punishment... + many other 3rd party titles = mario games. even mario kart/party aren't mario games.

"if Wii was a successful core platform then the Wii U wouldn't be struggling this bad right now."

Absolutely no relation. A console's success isn't determined by it's predecessor. Just look at ps3 and ps vita.

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:

"I am considering the Wiimote and Nunchuck together. Even together there is only one joystick. The Pro Controller has two joysticks. If the Wiimote had a joystick your argument would actually have some validity."

The games did just fine with what the wiimote + nunchuck had, so no.

"Haha! You consider 500K great numbers? The reality is that's why core support died on Wii."

GOSH, you didn't even read, did you? IN 2010, WII GOT 20 RELEASES THAT SOLD A MINIMUM OF 500K. most were multi million sellers.

"Those sales are crap compared to what PS360 were achieving."

ps360 had games that were multimillion sellers and also games that barely sold 500k. wii had games that were multimillion sellers and also games that barely sold 500k.

"Core games were lucky to do 500K on Wii while its competitors were doing multi millions"

Regardless of your definition of "core", that will always remain false.

"Again, you say CoD isn't core but ignore how well it does on core platforms."

Core platforms? you're gonna insist on those imaginary terms? anyway, if you think cod of all things is core, than you cannot possibly consider any genre as casual.

"I said show me Wii did better at moving core software than SNES/PS1/PS2. I didn't ask for proof Wii could sell casual stuff and Mario games."

"Casual stuff and mario games" This is pure downplaying. I didn't know that zelda, metroid, kirby, DK, fire emblem, xenoblade, punch out, sin and punishment... + many other 3rd party titles = mario games. even mario kart/party aren't mario games.

"if Wii was a successful core platform then the Wii U wouldn't be struggling this bad right now."

Absolutely no relation. A console's success isn't determined by it's predecessor. Just look at ps3 and ps vita.

Again, the Wiimote + Nunchuck is not a standard gamepad. Most people (core gamers especially) prefer a standard gamepad so that is why the Pro Controller exist. The Wii U basically dropped the Wiimote because they wanted to appeal to core audience with a gamepad that has a touch screen on it. Which was stupid because the Wii U is another casual console and casuals like the Wiimote. The Wiimote also helped distinguish Nintendo platforms from its competitors.

No, go do your research. There are few 3rd party core games released in 2010 that sold over 500K. The only 3rd party core games that sold over a million and were released in 2010 was Black Ops and Goldeneye.

Here's is a reality you're ignoring... platforms appeal to different audiences. The core audience is not imaginary and its something Nintendo wanted to acquire with Wii U. It failed and that's why compnaies like Ubisoft will keep bringing Just Dance but not Assassin's Creed.

1st party games did extremely or pretty well on Wii, but that doesn't encourage 3rd party core support. Also the people primarily buying 1st party games on Wii were casual.

The success of PS4 absolutely has to do with PS3. The PS3 had the largest core audience and they went to PS4. PSP had a large casual audience and that went away (casuals aren't reliable, Nintendo learned this). As you might notice the Vita library attempts appeal to core audience because casual audience is gone. X1 is doing damage control but its still doing significantly better than Wii U because Xbox has a core following.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I like how pugsly is intentionally ignoring the tie ratio of the Wii.

Samus Aran said:
I like how pugsly is intentionally ignoring the tie ratio of the Wii.

Tie ratio? Are you talking about software attach rate?

We can get into that discussion assuming I know what you're talking about.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

No i think the video game market , would still be a good place for gaming without playstation in it. People seem to forget that sony only entered the video game market in the first place, because they had created a combo system ( cd/cart ) with nintendo and when nintendo realized they were going to get screwed over by sony, they dropped the joint venture. And because of this the playstation brand was born.
Also microsoft did enter the video game market, because they did not want sony to have the market to itself, and also some people seem to forget that microsoft got interested in the video game market ( console side ), when they worked with sega on the dreamcast ( provided sega with the operating system ).
I think the young video game players who joined the hobby during the playstation days, should respect nintendo more than they do, simply because without nintendo creating the nes, we would not have a video game market to play and enjoy like we have today.
In short, wether its been nintendo,sega,intellvision,colleico ( mispelled this i know ),neo geo,3do,atari,sony,microsoft or anyone else i forgot. All these companies have paved the way for the industry we love and enjoy, contributing all kinds of ideas over time and u begin to realize that no one company helped the industry more than the other. Yes certain ideas did push the industry further along, but its because a change was needed to evolve the hobby.
Been gaming since i was 4, i am 38 now. And i have a better apprecaition for this hobby i love, i think more than others, simply because i have seen its struggles over the past 30+ years. I sometimes wish the gamers of today , would just enjoy games in general and stop all the bs and system war crap , if u are a true gamer ( someone who can enjoy games on any system and spread the joy of this , i applaud u very sincerely ).

Sorry for the long post....

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Really? Nintendo won their case but they were involved in shady tactics to stay ahead of the competition before the Playstation arrived.
http://articles.latimes.com/1992-05-02/business/fi-1361_1_video-game-market

Isn't that exactly what sony and ms do?

They've never done anything short of paying for exclusivity. What Nintendo did was strong arm people into putting tech in their hardware preventing third party from venturing out and going multiplat. It was a scare tactic. Atari thought it was Nintendo trying to create a monopoly but it was really just Nintendo using strong arm tactics to hold down and force third party games to be exclusive. Its amazing how much people rationalize this stuff and no, MS and Sony have never done this.

zero129 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
yep... DRM box vs overpriced PC gaming components would be a bad place to be in.

Did you even read fully into how that was going to work?

Exactly how is PC gaming components over priced? this looks like another thing your just saying without looking into since you can build a PC now for pretty much the same price as a PS4 that outperforms it in pretty much every 3rd party game @1080P with much better effects...

Did you even read OP? Hes asking a hypothetical question.

Are you telling me that if millions of console gamers moved to PC, then hardware manufacturers wouldnt take advantage of the rise in demand?

Anyway, please send me the link for components that total £289 (how much a PS4 is on amazon) which can be assembled into a PC that will outperform a PS4, and state how long you expect that PC to outperform the PS4 for.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Materia-Blade said:

Isn't that exactly what sony and ms do?

They've never done anything short of paying for exclusivity. What Nintendo did was strong arm people into putting tech in their hardware preventing third party from venturing out and going multiplat. It was a scare tactic. Atari thought it was Nintendo trying to create a monopoly but it was really just Nintendo using strong arm tactics to hold down and force third party games to be exclusive. Its amazing how much people rationalize this stuff and no, MS and Sony have never done this.

Like I have already said multiple times in this thread, if 3rd parties really felt they were being mistreated they could have developed games elsewhere. Nintendo only shipped 200,000 NES in North America by August 1986 which is right around the time Atari 7800 & Sega Master System released. Also Sega's SG-1000 released the same day as Famicom in Japan, 3rd parties had other options before Nintendo gained massive marketshare, nobody made 3rd parties make Nintendo games.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

daredevil.shark said:
PS1 started the "revolution" for mature gaming. Plus it gave freedom to third parties and bought new IPs in the gaming. If it was not for Playstation video gaming would still be for kids and it would be treated as toy (tough its now adult peoples expensive toy).

Video games were never seen as a toy or kids thing. The only reason it seems more main stream now is because 40+ year olds grow up playing games. That wasn't the case 30 years ago. If it wasn't for Sony Sega would still be making consoles. Not to down play Sony, but video gaming would still be huge without them.

Context is important if you're talking about the game industry in the 80s/90s, which is very different from today.

Also you need to understand in Japan having a monopoly is not illegal or even considered bad. In fact, it's considered a compliment of your business acumen, lol (this is from the Console Wars book). So Yamauchi would have viewed everything that he was doing back then as perfectly fine.

If you called Nintendo "monopolistic" at that time, it was a compliment.