By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Without Playstation, would the industry be in another crisis?

bigtakilla said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Lets step out of fantasy land. Nintendo stuck with cartridge all the way up to N64, and then its weird mini disc on the Game Cube. Last time I check, Sega last two consoles use CD roms and if there was no PS1 then I'm pretty sure most of the third party support would go to Sega because of its larger memory capacity.

Okay, but how does what we are talking about now show that Legend Of Dragoon, ect would never have existed? They would have, just on either Sega or Nintendo (or both).

I think I got distracted for a while when posting that.

Anyways to answer your question, there would be no Legend of Dragoon because the developer is Sony Computer Entertainment

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
Turkish said:

-Nintendo 64, would be the leader of Gen 5 which means gaming held back another generation of the constraints of cartridges.

That's all kinds of wrong. If the PS1 never existed, the Saturn would have kicked the N64's ass because just like the PS1, it would have brought all those third partys over thanks to the machine using a CD format. That, and Sega was way better at third party support and had a great relationship with alot of western developers. 

In all reality, even with the Saturn, devs still were more interested in 3D development for N64. Saturn was a mess of a console with poor controls and it was EXTREMELY hard to develop for. If PS1 didn't exist, devs would have simply jumped on 64. Just like Square Enix. They knew Saturn was disc based but it wasn't a good platform to develop for.

deskpro2k3 said:
bigtakilla said:

Okay, but how does what we are talking about now show that Legend Of Dragoon, ect would never have existed? They would have, just on either Sega or Nintendo (or both).

Anyways to answer your question, there would be no Legend of Dragoon because the developer is Sony Computer Entertainment

But it just talks about the lack of Playstation, maybe they would still decide to get into the video game industry, just on the software side instead of hardware.

I really don't understand this topic. The industry is in crisis. AAA budgets have gone overboard, B games hardly exist, and mobile gaming is a real threat to the handheld market. Combined console sales are down (excluding launch), combined handheld numbers are down, Japaneses game market is hurting, and more developers are closing/going out of business or converting to cell-phone titles than starting.

Sony could just as easily be part of the cause.

bigtakilla said:
deskpro2k3 said:

But it just talks about the lack of Playstation, maybe they would still decide to get into the video game industry, just on the software side instead of hardware.

I doubt Sony would develop games for Nintendo after the back stabbing deal Nintendo did against them with Philips. lol

Perhaps that was a good thing.

If Nintendo didn't break their agreement we would have the "Nintendo PlayStation 4" right now.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
bigtakilla said:

The real question would be if the only place you could get them was the Wii U, would they? And the answer is yes.

Lets step out of fantasy land. Nintendo stuck with cartridge all the way up to N64, and then its weird mini disc on the Game Cube. Last time I check, Sega last two consoles use CD roms and if there was no PS1 then I'm pretty sure most of the third party support would go to Sega because of its larger memory capacity.

The Dreamcast actually uses GD-ROMs which are higher capacity CD-ROM, but actually have less capacity than the Mini-DVDs used on the Gamecube.

And the Gamecube actually had pretty good third party support, even Square Enix came back after the fallout from Secret of Mana settled.

Even the Nintendo 64 had some nice third party titles like Turok, Goldeneye 64 and Doom64, to name just a few. Back then most space on a disc was still used by video sequences and out-of-engine cutscenes. Take these away, and 90% of the playstation titles would have fit on N64 cartridges; you'd just need to tell the story in a different way.

Ljink96 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

That's all kinds of wrong. If the PS1 never existed, the Saturn would have kicked the N64's ass because just like the PS1, it would have brought all those third partys over thanks to the machine using a CD format. That, and Sega was way better at third party support and had a great relationship with alot of western developers. 

In all reality, even with the Saturn, devs still were more interested in 3D development for N64. Saturn was a mess of a console with poor controls and it was EXTREMELY hard to develop for. If PS1 didn't exist, devs would have simply jumped on 64. Just like Square Enix. They knew Saturn was disc based but it wasn't a good platform to develop for.

I disagree wholeheartedly. The CD is what won the day for PS1. That was the single biggest factor in Sony winning. Developers would not have wanted to work with Nintendo and their extremerly limited, overly expensive format. 

And remember, the N64 was there. They could have easily just made games for it instead of the PS1 but they didn't because of the two reasons I mentioned above. 

So had the PS1 not existed, the Saturn would have taken it's place because it featured the one thing that gave Sony their victory...CD. They would have gotten around the difficult programing just like they did for PS2.

Materia-Blade said:
Mr Puggsly said:
POE said:
Wrong my friend. This industry is a pile of trash now, and thats thanks to Sony and Microsoft.

Please elaborate how Sony and MS ruined the industry.

Nintendo doesn't even try to move the industry forward, they basically just cater to their fans and focus on gimmicks. Which is why Wii U is a failure.

Right now, nintendo might be one of the last big companies that actually try to move the industry forward. Most of their games have serious work put on it, focusing on game quality and not eye candy . And they often try to discover new ways to play. take a look at the other companies games and it's clear they are the stagnant ones.

In what way is nintendo trying to move the industry forward? Changing their conrollers every console gen and making the same kind of games? Is that progression or is that really just a company not adapting at all to what gamers in the current market want. It's apparent with their consoles not selling. 

Sony and MS are both trying to push consoles and gaming beyond what it's been for the last 15 years or so. True all in one entertainment boxes with VR/AR tech. Playing games like No Man's Sky in full VR versus playing mario with a gimicky motion controller.

zorg1000 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
zorg1000 said:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo got millions of non gamers to buy consoles last gen, that's exactly what moving the industry forward is.

And where are those people now? Probably not playing games, maybe playing phone games, the avid gamers went to Playstation and Xbox, and small percentage of them will actually get a Wii U.

Nintendo got rich primarily on casual gamers that went away. Much like pogs, Wii was a fad. On a side note, moving away from the Wiimote for a tablet control was the dumbest move this gen.

Those people moved onto other devices, that doesn't somehow negate the fact that Nintendo moved the industry forward during the Wii era.

And how exactly are Playstation/Xbox moving the industry forward? Like I said in another reply, PS2+Xbox & PS3+360 will sell roughly the same, and it's very likely PS4+XB1 will as well. They haven't done anything in 15 years to move gaming forward since their audience has remained stagnant for 3 consecutive generations.

Again, the Wii was a fad and its impact on the industry wasn't worth much. I mean the Wii isn't credited for anything that we love about gaming today. It was a neat machine for people that still enjoy Mario games and waggling to pop music.

How is Xbox and Playstation moving the industry forward? Well they invest more money in their hardware, which can be used to raise the bar in game design. They have created great online gaming infrastuctures, while Nintendo platforms feel archaic in that regard. You feel Nintendo moves the industry, while many of us are waiting for them to catch up.

Nintendo wishes its console sales were stagnant, the Wii bubble bursted and now the Wii U is probably going to be their worst selling console. Hopefully it will achieve the Dreamcast userbase this year.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

PlayStation brought video game to mainstream audience and brought business level to global and gain more respect like other electronic industry and entertainment industry.

Thanks to PlayStation, that electronic entertainment business is evolving and being recognize like other big business.