By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Without Playstation, would the industry be in another crisis?

Gaming was getting bigger and bigger with every generation. That's why Playstation became a thing in the first place. They just wanted a piece of the pie. They were the winner in an era where 3D gaming was finally able to be done decently.

Some of the franchises that "wouldn't exist without Playstation" were multi-plat (Resident Evil, Tomb Raider) so I'm not sure how that would work.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
zorg1000 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
zorg1000 said:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo got millions of non gamers to buy consoles last gen, that's exactly what moving the industry forward is.

And where are those people now? Probably not playing games, maybe playing phone games, the avid gamers went to Playstation and Xbox, and small percentage of them will actually get a Wii U.

Nintendo got rich primarily on casual gamers that went away. Much like pogs, Wii was a fad. On a side note, moving away from the Wiimote for a tablet control was the dumbest move this gen.

Those people moved onto other devices, that doesn't somehow negate the fact that Nintendo moved the industry forward during the Wii era.

And how exactly are Playstation/Xbox moving the industry forward? Like I said in another reply, PS2+Xbox & PS3+360 will sell roughly the same, and it's very likely PS4+XB1 will as well. They haven't done anything in 15 years to move gaming forward since their audience has remained stagnant for 3 consecutive generations.

Again, the Wii was a fad and its impact on the industry wasn't worth much. I mean the Wii isn't credited for anything that we love about gaming today. It was a neat machine for people that still enjoy Mario games and waggling to pop music.

How is Xbox and Playstation moving the industry forward? Well they invest more money in their hardware, which can be used to raise the bar in game design. They have created great online gaming infrastuctures, while Nintendo platforms feel archaic in that regard. You feel Nintendo moves the industry, while many of us are waiting for them to catch up.

Nintendo wishes its console sales were stagnant, the Wii bubble bursted and now the Wii U is probably going to be their worst selling console. Hopefully it will achieve the Dreamcast userbase this year.

But thats all that the twins really have done. Upgraded hardware. Almost every other thing they tried to do to push the industry forward has failed. Move, Sixaxis, Kinect, 3D gaming, VR, etc. etc. Heck even going back to the Analog Stick and Diamond button layout was Nintendo pushing gaming forward. Its easy to take for granted, but most of the twins innovations were built on the back of Nintendo.

Bofferbrauer said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Lets step out of fantasy land. Nintendo stuck with cartridge all the way up to N64, and then its weird mini disc on the Game Cube. Last time I check, Sega last two consoles use CD roms and if there was no PS1 then I'm pretty sure most of the third party support would go to Sega because of its larger memory capacity.

The Dreamcast actually uses GD-ROMs which are higher capacity CD-ROM, but actually have less capacity than the Mini-DVDs used on the Gamecube.

And the Gamecube actually had pretty good third party support, even Square Enix came back after the fallout from Secret of Mana settled.

Even the Nintendo 64 had some nice third party titles like Turok, Goldeneye 64 and Doom64, to name just a few. Back then most space on a disc was still used by video sequences and out-of-engine cutscenes. Take these away, and 90% of the playstation titles would have fit on N64 cartridges; you'd just need to tell the story in a different way.

But then again that's the whole point for this thread, you wouldn't have play gamecube if PS1 wasn't there with their CD ROM, Nintendo would have stuck with catridge  becuase SEGA faild with their saturn and CD, Nintendo will just adopt catridge and games only be on expensive PC and mainstream gamer will not exist outside Japan. SONy brought games with their global marketing and financial, and design the console not for Japan and define game not only for "kid".

HollyGamer said:
Bofferbrauer said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Lets step out of fantasy land. Nintendo stuck with cartridge all the way up to N64, and then its weird mini disc on the Game Cube. Last time I check, Sega last two consoles use CD roms and if there was no PS1 then I'm pretty sure most of the third party support would go to Sega because of its larger memory capacity.

The Dreamcast actually uses GD-ROMs which are higher capacity CD-ROM, but actually have less capacity than the Mini-DVDs used on the Gamecube.

And the Gamecube actually had pretty good third party support, even Square Enix came back after the fallout from Secret of Mana settled.

Even the Nintendo 64 had some nice third party titles like Turok, Goldeneye 64 and Doom64, to name just a few. Back then most space on a disc was still used by video sequences and out-of-engine cutscenes. Take these away, and 90% of the playstation titles would have fit on N64 cartridges; you'd just need to tell the story in a different way.

But then again that's the whole point for this thread, you wouldn't have play gamecube if PS1 wasn't there with their CD ROM, Nintendo would have stuck with catridge  becuase SEGA faild with their saturn and CD, Nintendo will just adopt catridge and games only be on expensive PC and mainstream gamer will not exist outside Japan. SONy brought games with their global marketing and financial, and design the console not for Japan and define game not only for "kid".

But that's not a guaranteed result. Without Sony Bluray wouldn't have won the format wars and HD-DVD would have been the standard. There would have been other routes to take and most likely would have been taken. Besides if anything Nintendo would have shifted towards SD cards and that would have worked out fine for them. Also there were others besides Sega who messed around with CDs. 3DO and Atari come to mind.

d21lewis said:
Gaming was getting bigger and bigger with every generation. That's why Playstation became a thing in the first place. They just wanted a piece of the pie. They were the winner in an era where 3D gaming was finally able to be done decently.

Some of the franchises that "wouldn't exist without Playstation" were multi-plat (Resident Evil, Tomb Raider) so I'm not sure how that would work.

Resident Evil started out on playstation and sold very well. It was later ported to other consoles after it sold well. If playstation wasn't around for the game to be released on and find success with, the series would of never became a series. Nintendo wouldn't touch a game like that then. I doubt the game would of be no where near as successful on a sega console. Sega was dying as a console maker regardless if playstation entered the market or not. 

It's the same story with Silent Hill and other games. 

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
Ljink96 said:

In all reality, even with the Saturn, devs still were more interested in 3D development for N64. Saturn was a mess of a console with poor controls and it was EXTREMELY hard to develop for. If PS1 didn't exist, devs would have simply jumped on 64. Just like Square Enix. They knew Saturn was disc based but it wasn't a good platform to develop for.

I disagree wholeheartedly. The CD is what won the day for PS1. That was the single biggest factor in Sony winning. Developers would not have wanted to work with Nintendo and their extremerly limited, overly expensive format. 

And remember, the N64 was there. They could have easily just made games for it instead of the PS1 but they didn't because of the two reasons I mentioned above. 

So had the PS1 not existed, the Saturn would have taken it's place because it featured the one thing that gave Sony their victory...CD. They would have gotten around the difficult programing just like they did for PS2.

if you think CD the only factor of PS1 winning, i say " LOL " you must be the guy from the past , PS1 strong because:

1. Suported by the bigest company and brand in electronict entertainment Industry on world scale.

2. PS1 was design to be on global appeal (PS4 is the life prove or every PS console sold very well a cross the globe is the prove).

3. PS1 design is to be appeal for mainstream and more audince and not just familly or kid like Nintendo, or hardcore like SEGA but entire market (a gain you can see the prove why gender, and age and social status is so variable on PS gamers).

4.SONY made their ownd divison for gaming that's show how serious their company with this.

5. It's the most advance 3d console ever exist.

6. It's easy to program

7. It has a lot of support firm 3rd party inside and outside Japan from small developer and big company like EA, Infrogames, Activision, THQ etc

8. It has a good support from first party (great actually from company that just only started)

9.For me on third world country CD is easy to pirate and cheaper and choose this over N64 with expensive cardtridge

So if you are saying SEGA will replace PS1 fortune, i say  "NO" , Sega will just bankrupt earlier because they dont have the power (money, brand, resource compatative marketing)  to survive. So PS1 actually help SEGA a lot,  except their own financial crisis ofcourse.

bunchanumbers said:
HollyGamer said:
Bofferbrauer said:
deskpro2k3 said:

But that's not a guaranteed result. Without Sony Bluray wouldn't have won the format wars and HD-DVD would have been the standard. There would have been other routes to take and most likely would have been taken. Besides if anything Nintendo would have shifted towards SD cards and that would have worked out fine for them. Also there were others besides Sega who messed around with CDs. 3DO and Atari come to mind.

So think do you think  PS1` stronger because of CD??? read my other new rply to AlfredoTurkey, CD is just the icing on the cake on PS1 winning on game industry back then.

RolStoppable said:
Aeolus451 said:

Resident Evil started out on playstation and sold very well. It was later ported to other consoles after it sold well. If playstation wasn't around for the game to be released on and find success with, the series would of never became a series. Nintendo wouldn't touch a game like that then. I doubt the game would of be no where near as successful on a sega console. Sega was dying as a console maker regardless if playstation entered the market or not. 

It's the same story with Silent Hill and other games. 

If PS hadn't been around, the same game could have been made for the Saturn. I am pretty sure that the game would have sold well there too, because Resident Evil became a thing because it was Resident Evil, not because it was on PS. Also, Nintendo had games like Killer Instinct and Goldeneye 007 around that time, so I don't know why anyone would think that they would have rejected Resident Evil from their platform.

But probably not. Even if it was released on Saturn, I doubt it wouldn't of been successful on that console. Playstation merely gave Resident Evil access to more people with the console being as popular as it was. It makes the world of a difference if a good game is released on a high selling console versus a console that's not. It could mean the difference if a game gets a sequel or not. 

Killer Instinct and Goldeneye 007 are completely different to games like Resident Evil. Killer Instinct was already popular through arcade and Goldeneye was known through the bond films. Resident evil was a new IP and because of that, I doubt nintendo would of wanted it at that point.

JazzB1987 said:

Sony itself is in crisis. The shape of the industry has nothing to do with Sony being there or not. TBH Sony is probably more irrelevant than random phone manufacturer today

And I agree that you got it wrong    Without the gaming Industry sony would have an even bigger problem

OP is talking about the gaming industry and what could it be without Sony and PS and ure talking about Sony's Crisis? u know sometimes its better if u dont talk at all insted of talking and not knowing what ure talking about.

Add me if u want :)

RolStoppable said:
Aeolus451 said:

But probably not. Even if it was released on Saturn, I doubt it wouldn't of been successful on that console. Playstation merely gave Resident Evil access to more people with the console being as popular as it was. It makes the world of a difference if a good game is released on a high selling console versus a console that's not. It could mean the difference if a game gets a sequel or not. 

Killer Instinct and Goldeneye 007 are completely different to games like Resident Evil. Killer Instinct was already popular through arcade and Goldeneye was known through the bond films. Resident evil was a new IP and because of that, I doubt nintendo would of wanted it at that point.

You do realize that in an alternate universe where PS doesn't exist, the Saturn would have been more popular, right? Sony came into the market, took the third party games and gamers followed. At the time of Resident Evil's release, the PS1 wasn't even popular. It shipped less than 10m units in its first 18 months on the market; of course this was a staggered launch, but there wasn't a big installed base in any country at the time of RE's release. Plus in Japan where RE released first, the Saturn was competitive with the PS1 at that point, the difference being merely a few 100k units.

Your suggestion that Nintendo would have declined a release of Resident Evil on their platform is nuts. I have to ask, are you serious about that? You've got to be fooling around.

Nintendo handles very tough competition just fine but sega bails out after sony has been in the market for a bit. That tells me sega wasn't really doing all that well to begin with and probably would of exited the console market without sony being there.  It just would of took a bit longer. Sega was horrible at handling consoles.

Yes, I think Nintendo would of turned down the first Resident Evil game without knowing what it would become. I doubt that a publisher would give the go ahead on resident evil on nintendo's consoles at the time. It was mainly a kid's console at that time.