By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Without Playstation, would the industry be in another crisis?

thismeintiel said:
Materia-Blade said:
thismeintiel said:

Nintendo didn't save anything.  They were just in the right place at the right time.  If it wasn't them, then someone else would have come in, instead.  Or so I've been told.

That's not how things work. if nintendo hadn't saved the industry, things would have gone way differently. Probably for the worse.

onionberry said:
thismeintiel said:

Nintendo didn't save anything.  They were just in the right place at the right time.  If it wasn't them, then someone else would have come in, instead.  Or so I've been told.

This doesn't make any sense, what if I save somebody because I was in the right a place at the right time, a "If it wasn't them, then someone else would have come in" is not going to change the story whether you like it or not.

Nah, people would have just moved to Sega and they would have been credited with saving gaming.  Nintendo didn't really do anything significant, just released a decent console at the right time.

"Nintendo didn't really do anything significant"

Yeah, they just saved the industry with an amazing console and also created some of the biggest franchises in gaming, with characters recognized worldwide. and they keep making those great games while trying new franchises.

Around the Network
naruball said:

It is black and white when certain individuals refuse to give any credit where it's due.

Also, interesting how you bring up ps1 and not ps2. Did ps1 not dominate? Why did they not go all arrogant with the ps2? Nothing went over my head. Nice try, though.

Not drunk of their succes yet I suppose.

Is it that hard to admit Sony can make mistakes? Every company does.

Nintendo: being dictators when it came to third party relations and stuck to cartridges when they should've moved on to CDs. PS would've failed if the N64 used CDs. The N64 sold a lot better than the PS1 during the first year. Something you seem to be not aware of.

Microsoft: RROD with the xbox360 and E3 Press Conference of 2013

Sony: PS3 and Vita.

deskpro2k3 said:

There would be no Uncharted, Legend of Dragoon, and no Star Ocean: The Second Story etc. It would be pretty bad with just Mario and friends for all of eternity.

So without Playstation, third party developers would just disappear? LMFAO!

bigtakilla said:
deskpro2k3 said:

There would be no Uncharted, Legend of Dragoon, and no Star Ocean: The Second Story etc. It would be pretty bad with just Mario and friends for all of eternity.

I don't see many third party on the wii u. do u?

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Materia-Blade said:

He chose the ps3 because it's the perfect example of treating consumers badly. they could be losing 1000 dolars on each console, what matters is that it was a very expensive console because of tech unrelated to gaming and they even told people to get a second job.

Really? Treating consumers badly? By losing $200 on each console sold? I wish more companies would treat me that badly.

Bluray has more storage space. It enabled games to have better quality cutscenes and audio files. It also gave consumers a device that was cheapest that any blu ray player. So what if it that's unrelated to gaming? Consoles can be multipurpose devices. Same with phones that are not only used to call people, but play videos, music, take great quality pictures, etc.

As for Sony telling people to get a second job, I find it laughable to say the least. "Sony" never made the console with that line of thought in mind. It was simply an idiotic thing a Sony representative said. But people with an agenda will, of course, use his statement as an excuse to bash Sony until the end of time.

Had Sony charged $600 for a console that cost them $400 after the success of ps2 and ps1, I would have called them arrogant and greedy too. They didn't. They took a massive loss instead.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
naruball said:

It is black and white when certain individuals refuse to give any credit where it's due.

Also, interesting how you bring up ps1 and not ps2. Did ps1 not dominate? Why did they not go all arrogant with the ps2? Nothing went over my head. Nice try, though.

Not drunk of their succes yet I suppose.

Is it that hard to admit Sony can make mistakes? Every company does.

Nintendo: being dictators when it came to third party relations and stuck to cartridges when they should've moved on to CDs. PS would've failed if the N64 used CDs. The N64 sold a lot better than the PS1 during the first year. Something you seem to be not aware of.

Microsoft: RROD with the xbox360 and E3 Press Conference of 2013

Sony: PS3 and Vita.

I have absolutely no problem with the bolded. Of course, they made a mistake. I just wouldn't call it arrogance.

naruball said:
Materia-Blade said:

He chose the ps3 because it's the perfect example of treating consumers badly. they could be losing 1000 dolars on each console, what matters is that it was a very expensive console because of tech unrelated to gaming and they even told people to get a second job.

Really? Treating consumers badly? By losing $200 on each console sold? I wish more companies would treat me that badly.

Bluray has more storage space. It enabled games to have better quality cutscenes and audio files. It also gave consumers a device that was cheapest that any blu ray player. So what if it that's unrelated to gaming? Consoles can be multipurpose devices. Same with phones that are not only used to call people, but play videos, music, take great quality pictures, etc.

As for Sony telling people to get a second job, I find it laughable to say the least. "Sony" never made the console with that line of thought in mind. It was simply an idiotic thing a Sony representative said. But people with an agenda will, of course, use his statement as an excuse to bash Sony until the end of time.

Had Sony charged $600 for a console that cost them $400 after the success of ps2 and ps1, I would have called them arrogant and greedy too. They didn't. They took a massive loss instead.

I'm really starting to question if you're being serious.

"Really? Treating consumers badly? By losing $200 on each console sold? I wish more companies would treat me that badly."

Treating consumers badly by charging $600 for something that was never supposed to cost more than $500 at launch and telling people to get a second job. yeah, that's treating badly.

Materia-Blade said:

"Nintendo didn't really do anything significant"

Yeah, they just saved the industry with an amazing console and also created some of the biggest franchises in gaming, with characters recognized worldwide. and they keep making those great games while trying new franchises.

Like I said, Sega would have been given that credit if Nintendo didn't enter the console market.  They were just lucky and actually did nothing really important.  Just as some are trying to argue against Sony here, right? 

deskpro2k3 said:
bigtakilla said:

Well, as far as third parties they have had Square-Enix (Deus X, Dragon Quest), Activision (COD), WB Interactive (Arkham City and Origins), Tecmo Koei (Hyrule Warriors, Ninja Gaiden, Fatal Frame), Namco (Tekken Tag 2, One Peice), Ubisoft (Rayman, Assassin's Creed), EA (Mass Effect), Platinum (Bayo, W101), ect....

I think every major 3rd party has made a game or two on the Wii U. If Playstation and Microsoft disappeared nothing would happen to the third parties, they'd just be making more games for the Wii U.

deskpro2k3 said:
bigtakilla said:

Either ur being a smart-ass or that went right over ur head.

What's he saying is if Playstation was never created, those 3rd party games wouldn't cease to exist, they would have simply been created for Sega Saturn or Nintendo 64 instead.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.