By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Without Playstation, would the industry be in another crisis?

naruball said:
Samus Aran said:
SlayerRondo said:
If the PlayStation 4 was not their the Xbox One would be the frontrunner and the we would have day one dlc, no pre-owned games and a kinect that is mandatory.

And what do you think Sony would do if they had no competition? Price their console at $600 and tell you to get a second job?

Every company treats its customers like crap if they have acquired a monopoly. Wouldn't mattter if it was Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo.

That's why we can't have nice things. Did the ps(one) or the ps2 cost $600? No? Interesting why you'd choose the ps3 over the other two as an example. Let's also forget that they were losing $200 on each ps3 sold and that each ps3 cost less than any bluray player at the time. Pure greed, fo sho.

Did Sony have a monopoly when the PS1 released? You know... Their first console.

Not greed, but arrogance. But hey, if you like paying $600 for your console, be my guest.

The reason why I picked the PS3 as an example should have been obvious: Sony didn't screw up with their other two consoles. Clearly my post went over your head completely.

The world isn't black and white.

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:
thismeintiel said:

Nintendo didn't save anything.  They were just in the right place at the right time.  If it wasn't them, then someone else would have come in, instead.  Or so I've been told.

That's not how things work. if nintendo hadn't saved the industry, things would have gone way differently. Probably for the worse.

onionberry said:
thismeintiel said:

Nintendo didn't save anything.  They were just in the right place at the right time.  If it wasn't them, then someone else would have come in, instead.  Or so I've been told.

This doesn't make any sense, what if I save somebody because I was in the right a place at the right time, a "If it wasn't them, then someone else would have come in" is not going to change the story whether you like it or not.

Nah, people would have just moved to Sega and they would have been credited with saving gaming.  Nintendo didn't really do anything significant, just released a decent console at the right time.

thismeintiel said:

Nah, people would have just moved to Sega and they would have been credited with saving gaming.  Nintendo didn't really do anything significant, just released a decent console at the right time.

Yeah, they just created Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Duck Hunt, Punch-Out! and Excite Bike.

What a bunch of chumps.

Burek said:
I have always been claiming the same (and now as well in that strongest brand thread). Without PS, gaming would still be a fringe hobby catering only to children and hardcore hobbyists, and we would probably have seen a huge decline by the mid 2000s. Sony significantly expanded the market, brought it to be of mainstream relevance, and Microsoft helped significantly to further expand it to online interactions, thus taking it out of the child's bedroom/hobbyist's basement and bringing it to the living rooms worldwide.

I wouldn't be so quick to say this.  Mortal Kombat, and other games with massive amounts of violence existed long before playstation.  I don't think an older audience would have came by as quickly had it not been for playstation, but it was going to be a turning point with all the sports games, violent games, and ever increasing power of technology.

Had there been no Sony, Sega would still be in the console race as they wouldn't have felt pressure to rush the saturn, nor the Dreamcast.  The Dreamcast would have seen titles like Fable, Crazy Taxi, etc.  And, the Saturn would have been a much bigger hit with the crowd.  Sega, with their risk taking (The sega genesis had its own version of PSN) and you could even play against each other online in Japan, if I'm not mistaken, though it lagged.

But, the major factor in my reasoning is that sega had ideas, and took the risks to put them out there.  The only thing is they didn't take off because Sony was always in the back of their mind, causing them to rush consoles and not get the exposure they needed.

You speak of a decline, but you have to realise, if you are Nintendo, or Sega, and the entire market is going into a decline, what do you do?  Eventually, SOMEONE would have gotten the idea to go after the older crowd, like Sony thought to do.

zorg1000 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
POE said:
Wrong my friend. This industry is a pile of trash now, and thats thanks to Sony and Microsoft.

Please elaborate how Sony and MS ruined the industry.

Nintendo doesn't even try to move the industry forward, they basically just cater to their fans and focus on gimmicks. Which is why Wii U is a failure.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo got millions of non gamers to buy consoles last gen, that's exactly what moving the industry forward is.

And where are those people now? Probably not playing games, maybe playing phone games, the avid gamers went to Playstation and Xbox, and small percentage of them will actually get a Wii U.

Nintendo got rich primarily on casual gamers that went away. Much like pogs, Wii was a fad. On a side note, moving away from the Wiimote for a tablet control was the dumbest move this gen.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
Mr Puggsly said:
POE said:
Wrong my friend. This industry is a pile of trash now, and thats thanks to Sony and Microsoft.

Nintendo doesn't even try to move the industry forward, they basically just cater to their fans and focus on gimmicks. Which is why Wii U is a failure.

You do realize a gimmick is not an insult right? Play Super Mario 3D World, Metroid Prime 3 or Super Mario Galaxy and you'll find out why.

I guess the 3DS is a failure as well? Oh wait, never mind, handheld gaming doesn't count apparently.

Oh and controlling Zelda games with the gamepad of the Wii U or touchscreen of the 3DS is a godsend. Thank god for gimmicks.

I think the Wiimote was actually a good idea. I mean it was like controling a game with a mouse you hold up. Nintendo should have stuck with it, its practical and it creates and its a unique way to play games.

3DS was actually a good idea as well. Its a pretty basic portable system with a 3D screen. The system works fine even with 3D off. The dual screen is kinda dumb in my opinion, but whatever. DS and 3DS would have been successful even with a single screen.

Those aren't just gimmicks, they are more practical than they get credit for. The tablet control... that was a terrible idea. Even Nintendo struggles to find ways to use it. That's when Nintendo jumped the shark with gimmicks. Now where is my vitality sensor?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
zorg1000 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
POE said:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo got millions of non gamers to buy consoles last gen, that's exactly what moving the industry forward is.

And where are those people now? Probably not playing games, maybe playing phone games, the avid gamers went to Playstation and Xbox, and small percentage of them will actually get a Wii U.

Nintendo got rich primarily on casual gamers that went away. Much like pogs, Wii was a fad. On a side note, moving away from the Wiimote for a tablet control was the dumbest move this gen.

Those people moved onto other devices, that doesn't somehow negate the fact that Nintendo moved the industry forward during the Wii era.

And how exactly are Playstation/Xbox moving the industry forward? Like I said in another reply, PS2+Xbox & PS3+360 will sell roughly the same, and it's very likely PS4+XB1 will as well. They haven't done anything in 15 years to move gaming forward since their audience has remained stagnant for 3 consecutive generations.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

thismeintiel said:
Materia-Blade said:
thismeintiel said:

That's not how things work. if nintendo hadn't saved the industry, things would have gone way differently. Probably for the worse.

onionberry said:
thismeintiel said:

This doesn't make any sense, what if I save somebody because I was in the right a place at the right time, a "If it wasn't them, then someone else would have come in" is not going to change the story whether you like it or not.

Console makers were trying to get back into it, but ultimately failing becaue they were burnt out. I know you really don't believe what you are saying, and I get the point you are trying to make. Sony didn't just arrive at the right time, they played their cards right as well. It wasn't only luck, no matter who in this thread says it.

Samus Aran said:
naruball said:
Samus Aran said:
SlayerRondo said:
If the PlayStation 4 was not their the Xbox One would be the frontrunner and the we would have day one dlc, no pre-owned games and a kinect that is mandatory.

And what do you think Sony would do if they had no competition? Price their console at $600 and tell you to get a second job?

Every company treats its customers like crap if they have acquired a monopoly. Wouldn't mattter if it was Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo.

That's why we can't have nice things. Did the ps(one) or the ps2 cost $600? No? Interesting why you'd choose the ps3 over the other two as an example. Let's also forget that they were losing $200 on each ps3 sold and that each ps3 cost less than any bluray player at the time. Pure greed, fo sho.

Did Sony have a monopoly when the PS1 released? You know... Their first console.

Not greed, but arrogance. But hey, if you like paying $600 for your console, be my guest.

The reason why I picked the PS3 as an example should have been obvious: Sony didn't screw up with their other two consoles. Clearly my post went over your head completely.

The world isn't black and white.

It is black and white when certain individuals refuse to give any credit where it's due.

Also, interesting how you bring up ps1 and not ps2. Did ps1 not dominate? Why did they not go all arrogant with the ps2? Nothing went over my head. Nice try, though.

naruball said:
Samus Aran said:
SlayerRondo said:

He chose the ps3 because it's the perfect example of treating consumers badly. they could be losing 1000 dolars on each console, what matters is that it was a very expensive console because of tech unrelated to gaming and they even told people to get a second job.