By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Without Playstation, would the industry be in another crisis?

demonfox13 said:
Anyone who disagrees with the op is a delusional diehard supporter of Nintendo. The way consoles are now is fine. The Wii dominance ruined gaming whereas if GameCube or original Xbox dominating would have still moved gaming forward. Sega failed due to a horrible marketing team. Sony's marketing could use work, and Nintendo is reliant on nostalgia and the same ol Mario stuff. I remember the awesome days of backstreet brawler, bad dudes, double dragon and river city ransom. New ip's truly help the market and Nintendo (outside of pikmin /fire emblem) lack that. M$ has relied too much on halo to save them, and Sony better wake up to keep advancing the home console space (the order was an OK try, but Bloodborne did the trick). The winner this Gen will be the company who takes a "from gamers, FOR the gamers" stance. The Nintendo "we know what's good for you" stance is no longer going to work.

This doesn't even make any sense. This thread isn't even about Nintendo.

Also, the Wii dominance ruined gaming? So because Nintendo wanted to do their own thing and were very successful with it, they somehow ruined gaming according to you?

Also again, I have no idea how you're going to say that Sony is trying to advance the home console space in anyway. If you want to actually mention some examples with how you think this then go ahead, but before you mention something like Project Morpheus, Nintendo already tried that as well a long time ago.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
I think the industry would be in a crisis without any of the big 3.

Exactly, I agree with this. Saying that the industry would be in a crysis without one console is ridiculous, it would have to be a combination of several things including all of the big 3. 

FloatingWaffles said:
KLXVER said:
I think the industry would be in a crisis without any of the big 3.

Exactly, I agree with this. Saying that the industry would be in a crysis without one console is ridiculous, it would have to be a combination of several things including all of the big 3. 

Well I meant without 1 of any of the 3...

KLXVER said:
FloatingWaffles said:

Well I meant without 1 of any of the 3...

Oh, well your comment made it sound like you meant all 3 of them. Either way though my point stands, it wouldn't be dependent on just one console.

Always sad to see people unable to have a mature discussion and showing a need to downplay the significance of a console/company simply because they don't like them. At least there are a few who understand the importance of all 3 of them.

The industry would have been much different without any one of the big three. I don't think it'd be in crisis without ps, but overall sales would have probably been down massively. Just because apple or Amazon could have stepped in, doesn't mean they would have done well.

Around the Network

At least we can all agree that we're glad Atari screwed up.

There's really no point in discussing this, in the end Nintendo, Sony and MS (and many others) shaped the industry as it is today. For the better or worse.

Mind you without nintendo playstaion would not exist.(google playstaion).

sega messed up with saturn by releasing it too early(google that).

THE one thing that saved the gaming industry was the cdrom,without catridges you could release at fairly low cost...

but very interesting topic(even made me sign up after so long),

You make it sound like that scenario is awful and what we got now is amazing... and i couldnt disagree more.

Yes, most probably technology wouldnt be where it is today, but there would be loads more developers and publishers. Perhaps old Sega would still be around and we would still be getting their great games. Think more shemue, skies of arcadia 2, western PSO2, etc.
It is also likely that games that are short bursts with great graphics would be more common and hopefully none o this microtransaction and DLC madness,

Yup, i would've prefered the world where Sony and Microsoft hadnt joined the race. I think in terms of gaming quality we would've been much better served.

Had Sony not entered, I would imagine PC Gaming would be the mainstay. I am not sure what would become of Nintendo and SEGA.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

BraLoD said:
Protendo said:
The whole reason Xbox entered the market was because they were worried about Sony taking control of the living room with their OS, and wanted to stop that.

So we would have no Sony and no Xbox.

Didn't MS jumped in because they had just had an experience with it while helping Sega with the DreamCast and after the PS2 release putting the last nail on Sega coffin because they had no more spare money to keep it and MS had all the money one would possible need?

They were quoted that they were afraid that Sony would expand into the OS market, and that's why the living room battle became a thing. They really should have been preparing for Apple/Android.