By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Without Playstation, would the industry be in another crisis?

Mr Puggsly said:
POE said:
Wrong my friend. This industry is a pile of trash now, and thats thanks to Sony and Microsoft.

Please elaborate how Sony and MS ruined the industry.

Nintendo doesn't even try to move the industry forward, they basically just cater to their fans and focus on gimmicks. Which is why Wii U is a failure.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo got millions of non gamers to buy consoles last gen, that's exactly what moving the industry forward is.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
POE said:
Wrong my friend. This industry is a pile of trash now, and thats thanks to Sony and Microsoft.

Nintendo doesn't even try to move the industry forward, they basically just cater to their fans and focus on gimmicks. Which is why Wii U is a failure.

You do realize a gimmick is not an insult right? Play Super Mario 3D World, Metroid Prime 3 or Super Mario Galaxy and you'll find out why.

I guess the 3DS is a failure as well? Oh wait, never mind, handheld gaming doesn't count apparently.

Oh and controlling Zelda games with the gamepad of the Wii U or touchscreen of the 3DS is a godsend. Thank god for gimmicks.

Didn't really want to get into this, but I'll bite. 

Turkish said:

-Microsoft wouldn't have entered the console business with Sony.

-Nintendo 64, would be the leader of Gen 5 which means gaming held back another generation of the constraints of cartridges.

-Online gaming coming much later to consoles, yes Sega invented it but with Nintendo as leaders it wouldn't have become standard. (hell Nintendo still hasn't sorted out their online platform).

Microsoft would hav enetered the console business regardless. They even tried to buy nintendo at one point. 

How do you kno the N64 would have had cartridges if the PS didn't exist? Nintendo used the PS as an example for how good they wanted their games to look, and realized they couldn't surpass the PS without the use of cartridges.

The N64 Disk Drive had online functionallity. See point above as to why PS stopped that. 

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Ka-pi96 said:
I would hope somebody else would have seen the potential of the industry and have stepped in.

If not then PC gaming would truly reign supreme.

Mobile gaming

Had PS not existed, Nintendo wouldn't have opened the gates for casual gamers. Mobile gaming might have made it in eventually, but I doubt it would be this big.

demonfox13 said:
Nintendo is reliant on nostalgia and the same ol Mario stuff. 

Wouldn't that counter the OPs point about the different age demographic? If they did what you are saying, and PS didn't exist, wouldn't they have a huge market by now? It's a gradual proces. 

Mr Puggsly said:
POE said:

Right now, nintendo might be one of the last big companies that actually try to move the industry forward. Most of their games have serious work put on it, focusing on game quality and not eye candy . And they often try to discover new ways to play. take a look at the other companies games and it's clear they are the stagnant ones.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
POE said:

I'm not saying MS/Sony are ruining gaming but they really aren't moving the industry forward as this is the 3rd consecutive generation where their combined install base will be flat.

PS2-157 million, Xbox-24 million, total-182 million

PS3/360-85 million each, 90-95 when done selling, total-about 185 million

PS4-120 million (estimate), XB1-60 million (estimate), total-around 180 million

If they were moving gaming forward, they would be increasing the number of gamers, not simply catering to their existing fans.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

If the PlayStation 4 was not their the Xbox One would be the frontrunner and the we would have day one dlc, no pre-owned games and a kinect that is mandatory.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

SlayerRondo said:
If the PlayStation 4 was not their the Xbox One would be the frontrunner and the we would have day one dlc, no pre-owned games and a kinect that is mandatory.

Didn't know that the PS4 saved us from day one DLC... Thank goodness.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

SlayerRondo said:

And what do you think Sony would do if they had no competition? Price their console at $600 and tell you to get a second job?

Every company treats its customers like crap if they have acquired a monopoly. Wouldn't mattter if it was Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo.

Samus Aran said:
SlayerRondo said:

And what do you think Sony would do if they had no competition? Price their console at $600 and tell you to get a second job?

Every company treats its customers like crap if they have acquired a monopoly. Wouldn't mattter if it was Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo.

That's why we can't have nice things. Did the ps(one) or the ps2 cost $600? No? Interesting why you'd choose the ps3 over the other two as an example. Let's also forget that they were losing $200 on each ps3 sold and that each ps3 cost less than any bluray player at the time. Pure greed, fo sho.