By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Retro VGS: A new cartridge based Video Game System for the modern age

It's a pass for me. Disc based ftw!

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Interesting, but it'll hardly be any kind of success. Ouya also was interesting before launch.
It has to be really cheap, both the system and the games, otherwise people will just buy them on the consoles they already have, as I doubt a lot of indie games will want to ignore the likes of the PS4 and such an audience to sell to.

Would also need some good exclusive stuff, and that hardly happens with indie games, because even if they are good they don't get that much atention.

They'll go for support I think, the system will probably be in the 150-180$ range with 2 controllers and a game packaged in. And it's not about directly competing with the likes of the PS4, it's about having a physical copy.

Turkish said:
"but will be a standalone system were retro inspired games can be published on cartridges"

Uh why. If I want to do that I will release it on real consoles. Games still come out on old Sega consoles.

Because Sega doesn't make the genesis or it's cartridges anymore.

Sooooo... Basically if some indie developer wants to spend the extra money to put their game on a cartridge and make it available to a very, and I mean VERY, limited user base? As opposed to simply going digital, putting it on modern consoles/ PC, and making it available to a much MUCH larger user base and making much more money in the long run? I guess it's great to have options, but this would literally exists to please certain individuals and not make any form of profit.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

A couple things,
1) the controllers they show with it are just these, painted: http://a.tgcdn.net/images/products/zoom/f3a7_pro_controller_u_for_wii_and_wii_u.jpg
2: the extent of thier technical description is simply to say fpga with hdl descriptors, this is nonsensical in contect to specification, its like saying "the ps2 has a pcb (printed curcuit board) with bios support!"
3) the owners are actively avoiding answering technical questions on thier fb page.
4) nobody is going to make a new game for an old cartridge based system all updated to run on this when they could simply do the same for actual, popular consoles that stand a chance of selling well, digitally, where shipping issues and logistics are nonexistant.

What they show as proof of this thing is hollow statements, existing controllers from other consoles, unmodified painted shells from unmodified molds (isnt even a cart hole) and already theyre taking orders?

Its a cash grab, either it will never release and they disappear with the cash, or they release and its an atrocious system undershooting the lowest of expectations and never delivering on its promises.

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:
A couple things,
1) the controllers they show with it are just these, painted: http://a.tgcdn.net/images/products/zoom/f3a7_pro_controller_u_for_wii_and_wii_u.jpg
2: the extent of thier technical description is simply to say fpga with hdl descriptors, this is nonsensical in contect to specification, its like saying "the ps2 has a pcb (printed curcuit board) with bios support!"
3) the owners are actively avoiding answering technical questions on thier fb page.
4) nobody is going to make a new game for an old cartridge based system all updated to run on this when they could simply do the same for actual, popular consoles that stand a chance of selling well, digitally, where shipping issues and logistics are nonexistant.

What they show as proof of this thing is hollow statements, existing controllers from other consoles, unmodified painted shells from unmodified molds (isnt even a cart hole) and already theyre taking orders?

Its a cash grab, either it will never release and they disappear with the cash, or they release and its an atrocious system undershooting the lowest of expectations and never delivering on its promises.

1. Yeah, of course, in the OP it says just that. It's because it basically IS the same controller, because they are working with the same company that made the Wii Retro Classic controller

2. The technical discription is limited because the hardware isn't fully finalized.

3. ^^

4. They already have people that are interested in making games for it.

5. Go look on their facebook page. They have the actual moulding machinery. It'd be the dumbest cash grab ever to first buy 50 000 dollar moulds, do actual production runs of shells and then run with kickstarter money

6. They already launched their RETRO Videogame Magazine through Kickstarter and that magazine is still around today.

WolfpackN64 said:
Dulfite said:
I'd rather play the retro games (that already exist) on my Wii U where I can go off screen mode on the gamepad and move anywhere (or on my New 3ds XL for that matter). Also, I'm sure whatever 'new' retro games made will not JUST release on this device, but also on the eshop/steam/other streaming devices. It does sound interesting, though!

I'm pretty certain most games will not just be released for this. It's to give people choice. If you're ok with digital, this might not be for you, but if you want a physical cartridge and a simple console with nearly no OS interference, then it's indeed very interesting.

Physical cartridge = I have to clean the dust out of the stupid thing every now and then and make sure I don't drop it and brake off some of the inner fragile stuff.

I don't mind the 3-4 seconds it takes to boot up the OS on the Wii U (which is awesome because I can directly select which app I want to launch instantly upon hitting the button on the gamepad), but I guess if people are THAT impatient then this device would be worth it. I'm all about playing old school games, but I love the convenience of modern devices (and the Wii retro controller and wii pro controller are HORRIBLE compared to the Wii U pro controller).

fory77 said:
ktay95 said:
So uh why would I want one of these?? I mean most retro inspired games are going to be published on the new consoles and PC anyway.

Because horny retro gamers like me want something hard , and not floppy- like discs, in their collection of new games.

What wolf said.

if your dvds have gone soft you need to move them away from the radiator!

Also this looks like shit, I love retro and cart based game systems, but that does just look dire and reminding people of the Jaguar is not a good idea when trying to get money from them.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:
fory77 said:

Because horny retro gamers like me want something hard , and not floppy- like discs, in their collection of new games.

What wolf said.

if your dvds have gone soft you need to move them away from the radiator!

Also this looks like shit, I love retro and cart based game systems, but that does just look dire and reminding people of the Jaguar is not a good idea when trying to get money from them.

The moulds were available. He kind of saved a piece of video game history, even if it's the Jaguar. And I think the models look pretty cool. They still need to add the logo.

PxlStorm said:
WolfpackN64 said:
PxlStorm said:

Which (indie-)developer would be willing to make cartridge-based releases in the age of Steam and other digital platforms?

Vblank with Retro City Rampage would be interested, They have a release game with The Adventures of the Tiny Knight from CollectorVision. Those are the only 2 confirmed yet , but they stated they are talking with other devs, including AAA devs. They even have an industry advisory board with people who worked with Atari to attract support.

No AAA dev will release their games on this system, I can promise you that. (even if this system's creators are begging for it)

Think this pretty much sums up how much the point of this  system is being missed by so many on here.

There is a small niche of developers who DO want to make games in this sort of way. There is also a group of gamers (particularly the people who buy Retro Gamer Magazine) who would love a proposition like this (myself included).

It's not meant to sell lots. Ouya was a completely different proposition, it was a games console aimed at a group who don't want a games console (phone gamers). This is a system aimed at people's nostalgia for cartridge gaming (something Ouya NEVER offered). I actually know people who refuse to buy any digital software due to DRM (unless it's the DRM free stuff GOG offers). However, they would gladly pay a premium for a physical release.

At the end of the day, these indie developers are after every sale they can get. To think otherwise misunderstands the nature of the market. If they can sell an extra 500-1000 units at an $8 premium, that's more than worth t for them. These are the kinds of run that'll be done initially for this and you know what, if you're making an extra 1000 sales at $10 profit over what you've already done on steam etc that's still $10,000 extra money, which is no small change to these kinds of projects.

However the comments saying they can't afford this also miss, $20 game already pays $7ish to most stores be it iOS/Android/Steam/PSN/XBL/Eshop. So actually, if it only costs them $8 to make a physical version due to no licensing etc. That actually means the margins will be identical to those digital releases. (people forgetting that there is a 30% cut for the store owners?)

This system has a lot of potential. It's never going to be anything huge, but it caters to a market that could make it very successful within the scope of it's inception. Could be fun to see this thread in a few years time.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.