By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Retro VGS: A new cartridge based Video Game System for the modern age

Nettles said:

Don't people pay a premium for vinyl records over CDs or digital downloads? The vinyl pressing plants can't keep up anymore and sales are the highest they've been in 20 years.Whats the difference, if the games/music are good enough people will pay premium for physical.Plus i think some people may be underestimating the potential resale value (people buying these things just to resell on ebay later).It all depends on how good the games are.

The difference is that, first, most people are buying new music in vinyl, as opposed to only one very specific, very niche, genre or style of music. Second, most of the musicians providing vinyl records are already successful enough to be able to afford making vinyl records on the side. Third, making a vinyl record is simple. Anyone with the right equipment can do it. There is no video game equivilant to that, for obvious reasons, ye scallywag. Arrg. And lastly, the music that can be put on vinyl is limitless. Any song, past, present, and future, can be put on vinyl due to how uniform music files are, so the library for any record player is literally infinite. If my favorite band hasn't made a record for their album, I can simply press my digital copy and make my own record for it.

The library for this is limited only to the small handful of "retro-styled" games made specifically, and only, by a class of developer who only makes those types of games due to financial constrants that would stop them from making a move as financially risky as supporting a platform more niche than the game they're making.

So no, it's not even close to simply "depending on how good the games are."

EDIT: My point about burning records was a mistake. I was thinking about something else.

Around the Network
PxlStorm said:
WolfpackN64 said:
PxlStorm said:
This won't get any serious support.

Who knows, maybe it does.

Well, who's supposed to support the system, then?

Developers, like any other system?

Why did he pick Jaguar. And not try an original design.

WolfpackN64 said:
PxlStorm said:
WolfpackN64 said:
PxlStorm said:

Which (indie-)developer would be willing to make cartridge-based releases in the age of Steam and other digital platforms?

archer9234 said:
Why did he pick Jaguar. And not try an original design.

Because designing original moulds cost a gianormous amount of money. These Jaguar moulds were about to be scrapped. He got a good deal and saved the console and cartridge moulds. It's only the shells though, the internals will be completely new.

Around the Network
PxlStorm said:
WolfpackN64 said:
PxlStorm said:
WolfpackN64 said:
PxlStorm said:

Which (indie-)developer would be willing to make cartridge-based releases in the age of Steam and other digital platforms?

Vblank with Retro City Rampage would be interested, They have a release game with The Adventures of the Tiny Knight from CollectorVision. Those are the only 2 confirmed yet , but they stated they are talking with other devs, including AAA devs. They even have an industry advisory board with people who worked with Atari to attract support.

WolfpackN64 said:
PxlStorm said:
WolfpackN64 said:
PxlStorm said:
WolfpackN64 said:
PxlStorm said:

Vblank with Retro City Rampage would be interested, They have a release game with The Adventures of the Tiny Knight from CollectorVision. Those are the only 2 confirmed yet , but they stated they are talking with other devs, including AAA devs. They even have an industry advisory board with people who worked with Atari to attract support.

No AAA dev will release their games on this system, I can promise you that. (even if this system's creators are begging for it)

PxlStorm said:
WolfpackN64 said:
PxlStorm said:
WolfpackN64 said:
PxlStorm said:
WolfpackN64 said:
PxlStorm said:

No AAA dev will release their games on this system, I can promise you that. (even if this system's creators are begging for it)

They aren't begging for it, they are under several non-disclosure agreements already (might be re-releases or use of old IP's)

WolfpackN64 said:
Twilord said:
Needs Yacht Club's support. Super Shovel Knight as exclusive anyone?

XD, good idea, but I think there is a chance Shovel Knight would be ported.

Could you imagine if all the best known 'retro style indie devs' all banded together in a massive, high-risk high-reward, move to support this platform and mess with the AAA industry?

Wonder how many 90+ 5 hour exclusives it would take before it became remotely noteworthy under such insane circumstances.

Twilord said:
WolfpackN64 said:
Twilord said:
Needs Yacht Club's support. Super Shovel Knight as exclusive anyone?

XD, good idea, but I think there is a chance Shovel Knight would be ported.

Could you imagine if all the best known 'retro style indie devs' all banded together in a massive, high-risk high-reward, move to support this platform and mess with the AAA industry?

Wonder how many 90+ hour exclusives it would take before it became remotely noteworthy under such insane circumstances.

If they'd really manage to support it as long as they want to. It'll be able to accumulate some games.