By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Xbox Brand Simply Weaker Than the Playstation Brand?

Which Gaming Brand is the Biggest?

Playstation 690 76.07%

Xbox 51 5.62%

Nintendo 124 13.67%

iOS 42 4.63%

Total:907
Azuren said:
Redgrave said:

No, get off your high horse.

Calm down, dude. He was giving you advice to prevent future misunderstanding, not acting high and mighty. There's absolutely no need to get hyper defensive with him.

Advice? No. Repeating what another guy said and coming off smug? Yes.

I'm not getting defensive, just fed up with people on this forum telling others what to do. Tone down the smug if you're trying to give other people advice.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Insidb said:

Buying a console for the brand is not the same as that console having the bigger brand.

Here's an example: If I buy a Ferrari for the brand, Ford is still a WAY bigger brand.

I'd actually say Ferrari is the much bigger brand. It's much more desirable, it's what people want. Ford may sell more but that is because it is affordable while for the majority of people Ferraris just aren't. Ask someone which one they want to have for free however and at least 9 times out of 10 they'd choose the Ferrari.

I intentionally said "bigger," as opposed to "better." According to a 2014 survey, Ford has better brand perception than Chevy (the Fiat-Ferrari-etc. group), and Ferrari goes completely unmentioned. I'd be willing to wager that's simply a result of brand awareness; Ford IS selling hundreds of thousands more cars than Ferrari (If you use an order of magnitude analysis, Ferrari effectively sold 0 cars in comparison.). When we look at the XBox v. PS issue, the XBox is cheaper, is being bought for the brand, and is getting crushed by the PS. I'm sure you agree that this all gets very semantical very quickly, but international reach should be considered a component of brand strength. PS, like Ford, has massive, multi-level consumer appeal that XBox simply doesn't. What I've never fully understood, however, is why the PS seems to have a deathgrip on the EU. This is especially peculiar, because I think it's fair to say that MS is a bigger brand than Sony.

The survery link: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2014/02/2014-car-brand-perception-survey/index.htm

Miyamotoo said:
Angelv577 said:

Nah, that survey doesn't represent the whole gaming population.  You just have to look at history that almost every console that had won the console war had been the weaker one.  Do you think that if ps4 was the one with 900p on their games whereas xbox is the one with 1080p, xbox one would have been winning? that doesn't make any sense. 

Believe me, resolution is the least of the problem for xbox one.  Resolution is for console war mainly for the internet, in reality it's not important.

Insidb said:
generic-user-1 said:

why would you buy a ford?

It's more affordable, maintenance is cheaper and less frequent, a far smaller percentage of them have a tendency to burst into flames, reliability, etc.

While one might try to argue that those are brand associations, they are the reasons I would answer a survery for "Why did you buy a Ford?"

Meanwhile, no one can refute that Ford sold about 250,000 cars to Ferrari's 7,000, because Ford is simply a bigger brand.

again, why would you buy a ford, they make meh cars with meh tech and meh design.   there are so much better choices if you want  car that isnt as expensive as a Ferrari

playstation and xbox are both very changeable.

They dont are something special.

As soon ea, ubisoft and acitivsion would make a deal for a own consoles and would start only releasing new games on their own system, playstation and xbox would be dead.

Nintendo is the only gaming company who enough on their own.

Also overall console sales, nintendo is still at the lead in every generation of you count in handhelds.

Around the Network

what do you think would xbox one sale without any third party support?
They just sell about double of wii u per month, but get all the third party games.

Also xbox mostly sell well because of usa.

in my country, xbox and wii u sell each month about the same. And the wii u got like no third party game in the past 6 month.

gameboy and gameboy color where listed as 1 product in vg charts which sold 118 mio units.

Ps2 sold more though ur right.

Panama said:
In NA i reckon the Xbox reached a stage 2 years ago where its brand was much bigger, it's just that MS fucked up big time.

Microsofts best console sold on par with Sony's worst selling console. There is barely a comparison outside of library.

I would say you see Playstation around more on things, but Nintendo is the most known.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

GuyWithHighIQ said:
rolltide101x said:
Aeolus451 said:
Playstation consoles won every generation except one and xbox hasn't won any generation. So yes, sony's playstation brand is more popular and stronger. I think that MS shouldn't give up or just settle for second place. Competition is good for gaming all around. They can probably beat sony if they just stop using gimmicks to sell their console, nickle & diming gamers on things like cords/controllers (it diminishes value) and lastly, don't try to push those asinine policies on gamers.

Settling for 2nd place is EXACTLY what MS should do. Profit at 2nd or loss billions fighting a war they cant win? The answer is very simple

They aren't gonna profit for long if sales continue being eclipsed by SONY.

At the start of next generation, no 3rd party is going to agree to an exclusive deal with Microsoft. They had the benefit of the doubt this gen with the performance of the 360, but they won't have that heading into next-gen. Moreover, it still seems MS isn't willing to invest in their own 1st party studios, so we're back at Halo, Gears and Forza  all gen long.

Online gaming on the Xbox next-gen will be deader than it is now, since all the remaining Xbone guys aren't going to take any chances and go for the PlayStation, meaning XBL revenues will decline.

Microsoft can't keep doing petty deals to try to keep up with SONY. They need something drastic to gain back marketshare, and that something drastic is removing online-gaming fees. They started this BS greedy practice that's now killing their sales. It's time for them to end it once and for all.

MS will sell 30-40 million Xboxs no matter what, they can profit in that range if they play it smart. What they can not do is waste billions of dollars fighting a fight they cant win

generic-user-1 said:

again, why would you buy a ford, they make meh cars with meh tech and meh design.   there are so much better choices if you want  car that isnt as expensive as a Ferrari

That's exactly it: I could give you many reasons, especially on a survey, to buy a ford over a Ferrari that are not "brand." The PS4 is a perfect example of a megabrand's product having many reasons to buy it over the competitor that go way abobe and beyond just "brand:" more games, better 3rd party support, better exclusives, more powerful hardware, better controller, and a lot of other things that tend to be associated with the platform. I think that survey tells us very little useful information, aside from that is what buyers picked as their #1 purchasing reason.

Here's something to consider, though: what if by "brand," the consumers meant MS and not XBox?