By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Xbox Brand Simply Weaker Than the Playstation Brand?

Which Gaming Brand is the Biggest?

Playstation 690 76.07%

Xbox 51 5.62%

Nintendo 124 13.67%

iOS 42 4.63%

Total:907
Mr Puggsly said:

To be fair, Nintendo and Sega was pushing 3D gaming before Sony entered the fray. And we all know N64 was superior with the polygons.

When PS1 launched they made a platform that did a pretty good job pushing polygons. But people still give them way too much credit, Sony came into the industry because it was already thriving. People seem to think video games weren't popular until PS1.

It never thrived as much before the PS1.  Sony and PlayStation are what helped push gaming into the mainstream.  Deny it if you wish. I know sometimes the truth can hurt if you don't want to except it.

Around the Network

Playstation is the stronger brand, no contest. In the US it is more split, but overall PS is still stronger. Not to say Xbox brand is weak, it's just not as strong as PS. And Nintendo is kind of a mixed bag as they've only owned two home console brands, the NES/SNES and the Wii/Wii U -one being strong and the other being weak.

Miyamotoo said:
Shackkobe said:

Holiday 2014 was really good for Xbox One. Price cuts plus good games and superb console bundles caused sales to spike...but (worldwide) it still couldn't outsell the PS4.

Could it simply be that Playstation is a stronger gaming brand? Playstation has been on the market longer than Xbox. Playstation is also the brand that sold 150 million consoles in one generation (a feat that may never be repeated). To a large number of gamers worldwide, Playstation is synonymus with gaming, and Xbox may not necessarily have that reach.

Should Microsoft concede and simply settle for second place since the Playstation brand is stronger?

Leave your thoughts.

PS4 selling much better than Xbox One have nothing with stronger brand, stronger brand did not help PS3 last gen.

Main reason why PS4 is selling much better than Xbox One is that same multiplat games works on 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One.

Thanks to that brand name, Sony managed to come back from an awful launch and a late start to end at higher sales than 360 WW.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

jmorris724 said:
i guess. but "xbox" has become shorthand for "playing videogames" the way nintendo used to be.

I have literally NEVER heard someone use Xbox as short hand for games, and I love in the Xenophobia capital of America (Texas). If there's one place that will choose American stuff at the default, it's Texas, and "Nintendo" is the only video game shorthand that uses a band name.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
jmorris724 said:
i guess. but "xbox" has become shorthand for "playing videogames" the way nintendo used to be.

I have literally NEVER heard someone use Xbox as short hand for games, and I love in the Xenophobia capital of America (Texas). If there's one place that will choose American stuff at the default, it's Texas, and "Nintendo" is the only video game shorthand that uses a band name.

I have, a lot. Mainly in Cali/Oregon. Also TV shows tend to use it a lot as shorthand for games here. Dunno how it is in Texas (havent lived there in 9yrs o~o) but over on the west coast Ive seen a few people use Xbox for video games.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Aeolus451 said:

Alot of teenagers and adults didn't play many games until playstation came out. Was there a market for mature games before playstation? No. Playstation was the console to buy if you wanted more mature themed games.. Was it sega? Nope. Was it nintendo? Hell no. Even now, nintendo barely dabbles with mature themed games. It has nothing to do with what seemed "cool". It's as simple as playstation having games that appealed to teenagers and adults. Playstation introduced gamers to the likes of Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Tomb Raider, Twisted Metal, ect when nintendo wouldn't touch games like those. Look at what games sold the best on Playstation. The vast majority of the games on the Playstation were mature or rated for teenagers. You can deny it all you want but surely playstation opened the floodgates on mature games and that's why it was so popular.

So much wrong in this post. In a nutshell, I completely disagree.

I guess you weren't around during the early 90s? I saw plenty of teenagers and even adults playing video games. And I assume many teenagers and adults played Pac Man, Galaga, and other classics.

I'm not sure where the revisionist history of just kids playing games comes from. Its simply not accurate.

Yes, I was around. I played the original NES when it came out and many of the old nintendo consoles. Sure, some teenagers/adults were playing games but not as many as compared to after playstation came out. You didn't bother to look at any best selling game lists for playstation did you? First console to sell over 100 million consoles and the fact that the majority of the games on it were targeted to teenagers/adults didn't have anything to do with it selling that well? Hmm.

You hit the nail on the head: how many people bought a PS1, based soley upon the FFVII marketing campaign? Tons. I knews tons of high schoolers and college students who bought a PS1, played FFVII for 2 hours, realized it wasn't Super Mario XXVII, and stopped playing. What did they do next? They got Madden, Tekken, RE, Tomb Raider, etc. Sony cracked the teen/adult market wide open. When I was kid, SNES/Genesis was for "nerds." When the PS dropped, everyone got into the scene, and gaming suddenly became "cool." I had the N64 before I had the PS1, and the library was games like Mario 64, Goldeneye, DKR, MK, Blastcorps, Staf Fox, and a host of mostly family friendly games. My first PS1 game was MGS. My friend's first games were House of the Dead and Maximum Force. Mortal Kombat, Spaltterhouse, and Nighttrap may have existed and hinted at the future potential of the gaming market, but no company capitalized on that potential until Sony actively pursued it.

Miyamotoo said:
Shackkobe said:

Holiday 2014 was really good for Xbox One. Price cuts plus good games and superb console bundles caused sales to spike...but (worldwide) it still couldn't outsell the PS4.

Could it simply be that Playstation is a stronger gaming brand? Playstation has been on the market longer than Xbox. Playstation is also the brand that sold 150 million consoles in one generation (a feat that may never be repeated). To a large number of gamers worldwide, Playstation is synonymus with gaming, and Xbox may not necessarily have that reach.

Should Microsoft concede and simply settle for second place since the Playstation brand is stronger?

Leave your thoughts.

PS4 selling much better than Xbox One have nothing with stronger brand, stronger brand did not help PS3 last gen.

Main reason why PS4 is selling much better than Xbox One is that same multiplat games works on 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One.

Well, I wold like to believe that there is a little more to the PS4's current dominance than simply 1080p. But, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

Insidb said:
Aeolus451 said:

Yes, I was around. I played the original NES when it came out and many of the old nintendo consoles. Sure, some teenagers/adults were playing games but not as many as compared to after playstation came out. You didn't bother to look at any best selling game lists for playstation did you? First console to sell over 100 million consoles and the fact that the majority of the games on it were targeted to teenagers/adults didn't have anything to do with it selling that well? Hmm.

You hit the nail on the head: how many people bought a PS1, based soley upon the FFVII marketing campaign? Tons. I knews tons of high schoolers and college students who bought a PS1, played FFVII for 2 hours, realized it wasn't Super Mario XXVII, and stopped playing. What did they do next? They got Madden, Tekken, RE, Tomb Raider, etc. Sony cracked the teen/adult market wide open. When I was kid, SNES/Genesis was for "nerds." When the PS dropped, everyone got into the scene, and gaming suddenly became "cool." I had the N64 before I had the PS1, and the library was games like Mario 64, Goldeneye, DKR, MK, Blastcorps, Staf Fox, and a host of mostly family friendly games. My first PS1 game was MGS. My friend's first games were House of the Dead and Maximum Force. Mortal Kombat, Spaltterhouse, and Nighttrap may have existed and hinted at the future potential of the gaming market, but no company capitalized on that potential until Sony actively pursued it.

I think before the PS1, M games were mostly just tolerated.  But, Sony was really one of the first console  companies to truly embrace them, even using there own money to advertise and/or develop them.  It's also important to note that  many of these games weren't just M for their blood and gore, like in the past, but also because of their dark/mature atmospheres and themes.

Shackkobe said:

Microsoft is fighting tooth and nail to win this console war.

Multiple price cuts have been made and they even abandoned Kinect...tech they spent millions to develop. But the PS4 continues to outsell the Xbox One.

I am left wondering if it is actually possible for Microsoft to win this console war. 

From an engineering perspective, the Xbox 360 was twice as good as PS3 as a gaming machine. Unified shaders, unified memory, legitimate dual threaded tri core CPU, 10 MB edram etc.

With all this tech, 10 million consoles sold, a years head start, and a disasterous PS3 launch, the Xbox 360 still couldn't shake the PS3. They were dead even at the end of the console generation.

Leave your thoughts.

"From an engineering perspective, the Xbox 360 was twice as good as PS3 as a gaming machine. Unified shaders, unified memory, legitimate dual threaded tri core CPU, 10 MB edram etc." 

Well from sales perspective PS3 still edged out 360 which showed that the brand was bigger in worldwide. But it will have to settle down below Wii.

Shackkobe said:
Miyamotoo said:
Shackkobe said:

Leave your thoughts.

Well, I wold like to believe that there is a little more to the PS4's current dominance than simply 1080p. But, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

But it's a little outrageous when certain sources come forward to defend 900p resolution and gamers can't know the difference. It's a direct affront.