By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Xbox Brand Simply Weaker Than the Playstation Brand?

Which Gaming Brand is the Biggest?

Playstation 690 76.07%

Xbox 51 5.62%

Nintendo 124 13.67%

iOS 42 4.63%

Total:907
Azzanation said:

More of these threads. A lot of you don't understand business and the gaming market. No company has a bigger name then the other. On Paper Nintendo has the biggest name out of all 3 if we are going by figures.

Ill try to make this simple for the kids that read this.

1: Sony are very good marketers
2: Xbox is as big of a name then the PS (last gen both finished on the same amount sold)
3: Every gen is different, there's always different winners.

Now before you call me a fanboy I am a PC gamer who thinks consoles are quite stupid (my Opinion)

All generations favour those who are hungrier, eg - Nintendo went aggressive with the Wii last gen since the Gamecube failed while MS went strong with the 360 because of the Org Xbox, PS3 failed to excite because Sony went into last generation big headed with the PS2s success. Results = Wii destroyed the market followed by the 360 then after PS3 caught up but.. PS3 caught up as the last gen finished as MS and Nintendo were focusing on next generation systems like there line ups which clearly shows that the PS4 lacked launch line up games compared to there competitors

This generation we have gotten the exact opposite, MS went out over confident while Sony were the hungrier team. PS4 did what the 360 did last gen, It was available World Wide a lot longer then the X1, it launch with good spirits where as X1 did a PS3 and launched only in a few countries and left a bad taste in casual gamers mouths.

Every Gen will be different and you can mark my words, if there is a next gen I would be expecting Xbox or Nintendo to topple top spot since there the hungrier teams.

Now all this doesn't matter in the end because either Sony or MS are trying to put each other out of business, if that was the case then Sony wouldn't have a chance against a monolith corporation like MS.

Both X1 and PS4 are reaching there sales goals, and to me Sales don't mean anything. Premium products aren't the best sellers and ill use the Wii and DS last gen as a example, they were the best selling systems last gen yet PC gaming was my preferred choice. No different this gen, PS4 is selling but so did the Wii last gen, does it really matter? All consoles have enough 1st party games to entertain you all though the generation.

Get rid of the measuring sticks, Sales don't determine quality or superior products, Both brands are big enough to attract there markets, if you prefer Sony games then game on PS, if you prefer MS games then game on Xbox and same with Nintendo and PC etc.

I owned a PC, PS1 and N64 all at the same time, Honest truth, my N64 was the best thing i could have brought, it had qaulity games, it had innovations and it was cheap and powerful, My PS1 i had MGS1 and FF7 (which was also avaialble on PC) and the Crash Bandicoot collections and many other 3rd party games that are nothing more then poor cheaply design games with very poorly made 1st party exclusives. My PS1 had nothing special on it apart from the fact you can pirate the games where as my PC did everything the PS1 did and more... BUT the PS1 sold monster tons, did that make it a better device then the N64? Hell no, no where near, premium games came on the N64 and PC where as PS1 had a library of 3rd party games while Sega started losing there way. Do sales = quality? No never did. PS was a new brand yet outsold a strong brand in Nintendo. That should anwser this thread.

That is a good speech and all but no, every generation won't be necessarily different by default.  Since Sony entered the gaming market, let see:

5th gen: ps1 (100m)

6th gen: ps2 (150m)

7th gen: Wii

8th gen: ps4 (it's bound to win) (bound to sell at least 80m)

You can see that sony has managed to win the console business 3 out of 4 time with every one of them having the same opportunities to do their thing to win the console space.  If you take into account that 7th gen ps3 didn't win because no console would have won at $599/$499( competition prices were $399/299/250), arrogant attitude, inferior ports, releasing 1 year later than 360 (europe was 1 year and half later) and still manage to tie with 360 at 80m, you know that playstation is the stronger brand.  Let me put it this way, last gen, everything was going fenomenal for xbox, MS threw everything they could even having exclusive JRPG.  The only thing they did bad was the faulty hardware and even at that they recover nicely with the 3 years warranty.  All they manage was to slow down the inevitable catch up.  Dont forget the kinect that brought new gamers to 360(they are non existant now).  Analizing all these and they still tied you can tell that ps is stronger than xbox, plain and simple.  If ps3 had launched at the same price than xbox 360 in the same period, other history would been written.  A fucked up ps3 managed to sell 80m is amazing regardless of how much sony lost, that's no way related to consumers view of the brand because consumers aren't the one making the decision of how to built a hardware.

Looking at all these information, you can tell that unless Sony screw big time, ps console win by default.   i can't stop laughing at you, starting your post very arrogant and you sounded worst that those you call "kids"

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Shackkobe said:

Holiday 2014 was really good for Xbox One. Price cuts plus good games and superb console bundles caused sales to spike...but (worldwide) it still couldn't outsell the PS4.

Could it simply be that Playstation is a stronger gaming brand? Playstation has been on the market longer than Xbox. Playstation is also the brand that sold 150 million consoles in one generation (a feat that may never be repeated). To a large number of gamers worldwide, Playstation is synonymus with gaming, and Xbox may not necessarily have that reach.

Should Microsoft concede and simply settle for second place since the Playstation brand is stronger?

Leave your thoughts.

PS4 selling much better than Xbox One have nothing with stronger brand, stronger brand did not help PS3 last gen.

Main reason why PS4 is selling much better than Xbox One is that same multiplat games works on 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One.

Except that it did help if you consider that the console was at 599/499 and release 1 year later than 360 (europe was 1 year and half later), can you tell me how ps3 manage to tie xbox 360?.  Don't forget that 360 was 399/299 and later on released the kinect in which attracted new consumers to the console.  how the ps3 manage to tie even against all that?  Now we are in a different situation, this time xbox screw up and look how easy it's for ps4 to dominate.  ps3 screwed up last gen and all 360 did was slowing down the inevitable.  lol I can't stop laughing at your 2nd sentence.  Do you realize that ps3 had the worst version of most of the games last gen?, why people didn't jump in masses to the 360? 

I can assure you that no console would have survive at 599/499 let alone sell 80m consoles.  Look at xbox one and how quickly it went from 500 to 350.  There are a lot of evidence that prove ps4 is stronger than xbox whether you like or not.

Ka-pi96 said:
Miyamotoo said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Miyamotoo said:

PS4 selling much better than Xbox One have nothing with stronger brand, stronger brand did not help PS3 last gen.

Main reason why PS4 is selling much better than Xbox One is that same multiplat games works on 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One.

Actually, yes it did. PS being the strong brand that it is is what allowed Sony to sell over 80 million consoles despite their initialy screw ups. Without that brand power the PS3 would have gotten no where near 80m. Just imagine if the PS3 had been called something else and was made by a different company as their first ever games console, it would have done terribly.

If strong brand is so important, PS3 would be sell good from start (especially after 150m PS2 consoles) without billions of Sony investment to turn PS3 around, and Xbox 360 wouldn't be on pair with PS3.

Having a strong brand isn't the only important thing and besides that the PS3s launch damaged the PS brand somewhat. Regardless it is a factor and when consoles are equal in everything else will be the deciding factor. PS4 and Xbox One aren't equal, but even if they were then the PS4 would still be ahead solely because of it's brand power.

I agree, if are equal in everything, brand would be the deciding factor, but my point that isnt case in PS4/XboxOne situation.

Angelv577 said:
Miyamotoo said:
Shackkobe said:

Holiday 2014 was really good for Xbox One. Price cuts plus good games and superb console bundles caused sales to spike...but (worldwide) it still couldn't outsell the PS4.

Could it simply be that Playstation is a stronger gaming brand? Playstation has been on the market longer than Xbox. Playstation is also the brand that sold 150 million consoles in one generation (a feat that may never be repeated). To a large number of gamers worldwide, Playstation is synonymus with gaming, and Xbox may not necessarily have that reach.

Should Microsoft concede and simply settle for second place since the Playstation brand is stronger?

Leave your thoughts.

Except that it did help if you consider that the console was at 599/499 and release 1 year later than 360 (europe was 1 year and half later), can you tell me how ps3 manage to tie xbox 360?.  Don't forget that 360 was 399/299 and later on released the kinect in which attracted new consumers to the console.  how the ps3 manage to tie even against all that?  Now we are in a different situation, this time xbox screw up and look how easy it's for ps4 to dominate.  ps3 screwed up last gen and all 360 did was slowing down the inevitable.  lol I can't stop laughing at your 2nd sentence.  Do you realize that ps3 had the worst version of most of the games last gen?, why people didn't jump in masses to the 360? 

How!?

Sony take billions of losses to turn PS3 around, at start of generation Xbox360 was selling better than PS3.  And you can say that PS3 finally caught up with Xbox 360 last few years (2012-2013) with strong software push by Sony and slowing down support from Microsoft for Xbox 360.

PS3 wasnt weaker than Xbox360 it was just more complicated than Xbox360 for developing, Sony 1st party games are prove of that. Yes most of multiplat games beeter worked on Xbox360, but in most case they were 720p on both platforms, and in PS4/Xbox One situation you from start have 1080p/900p situation and nothing cant change that hole generation, PS4 will always be noticeably stronger.

In EU and Japan I would say yes by a longshot, in the USA I would say almost even.
Also, there is no comeback this gen for Xbox, not 10 million consoles behind.

Around the Network

Playstation is by far the strongest gaming brand today, they have worldwide appeal in opposition to Xbox's appeal to just the American and UK markets.
Nintendo's brand has shrunk but is still strong amongst fans.

Nintendo has tapped into its loyal fan base with its latest system—86% of Wii U owners are prior Wii owners. Consumers appreciate the fun-factor, kid-friendliness, and value of Wii U. Not far behind, three of four Microsoft Xbox One owners are previous Xbox 360 owners. And this is understandable, as these consumers indicate their top reason for purchasing an Xbox One was the brand. Meanwhile, PlayStation 4 has shown an ability to capture both previous PlayStation 3 owners, as well as competitive seventh gen users, thanks to its superior resolution, Blu-ray player and game library according to purchasers.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2015/no-stranger-to-the-video-game-most-eighth-generation-gamers-have-previously-owned-consoles.html

I only read the thread title but--yeah. In the world of console gaming, Playstation has been the biggest since the 5th gen. People trust it. That doesn't mean that the Xbox brand is bad or anything. It's actually my preference (Nintendo the Xbox then Sony) and the Xbox 360 was easily my most played console of the 7th gen. Even with inferior hardware, it's hard to bet against Sony and with superior hardware, it isn't even close (Shut up Vita haters!).

Ruler said:
97alexk said:

Im shocked how many people said that playstation is a more popular gaming brand then nintendo, because i think nintendo is way more known than playstation. More people know games from nintendo than from playstation.

Sure they know mario more than sony franchises but most people cant name the newest nintendo console or games, while the name playstation is widedly more popular. Nintendo always used new names for their system, so there never could grow a brand of.

nintendo had 4 different console names since the ps came to market...   and nintendo is a gaming company, they need to brand IPs, sony is an electronics company, they need to grow a brand with hardware.

There is a definite answer to this question because the answer is decided by CONSUMERS. Yes the PlayStation is a stronger brand. The PS4 is even the most expensive console in some regions.