By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Xbox Brand Simply Weaker Than the Playstation Brand?

Which Gaming Brand is the Biggest?

Playstation 690 76.07%

Xbox 51 5.62%

Nintendo 124 13.67%

iOS 42 4.63%

Total:907
Aeolus451 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Most games on PS1 were family friendly. You really need to take a closer look at the PS1 library. You're only noticing the games that grabbed your attention.

I have looked at the best selling games for PS1. There are mature games on it. There are also a bunch of family games that sold millions. Again, take a closer look.

Anyhow, a lot of PS1, N64, and Saturn users were teenagers/adults because many of us grew up playing games and continued doing so.

It's almost like we're dancing back and forth with this, Mr. Puggsly. I tire of this and to each their own.

Well I'm just throwing some facts at you. There were tons of family games on PS1 and a good number of them sold millions. I'm not just giving you an opinion.

PS2 had a large library of family games as well. Sony eventually lost much of that family/casual market with PS3. They went to Wii, 360, and now phones I guess.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Of course Playstation is the bigger gaming brand (over Xbox, not Microsoft of course). However, it'd be silly for them to just quit and accept second place. Competition is usually a good thing for consumers.

Guys lets keep those quote trees under control!

We really do hate moderating for quote trees.

So yeah cut out any unnecessarily long text and keep the quote trees down to 3. Thanks!

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Aeolus451 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Most games on PS1 were family friendly. You really need to take a closer look at the PS1 library. You're only noticing the games that grabbed your attention.

I have looked at the best selling games for PS1. There are mature games on it. There are also a bunch of family games that sold millions. Again, take a closer look.

Anyhow, a lot of PS1, N64, and Saturn users were teenagers/adults because many of us grew up playing games and continued doing so

It's almost like we're dancing back and forth with this, Mr. Puggsly. I tire of this and to each their own.

the 2 best selling "mature" (loool, booooooooobs) series were FF and Tomb raider. one went to PS because nintendo goofed and the other got a port because the saturn failed hard...

Hiku said

They were able to sell PS3's at a profit in the later years, but it never came close to making up for the losses the console cost them over the course of its life cycle. I forget the exact number, but it was by no means a small sum. Their plan was to take losses from the very beginning. The initial $600 PS3 cost them around $800 to make. So they were already losing up to $200 per unit even from the start. But because of how things panned out, they had to make a decision. Either continue on this path and let the PS3 die. Or sacrifice even more money to make the console affordable as quickly as possible. They were able to cut down on costs a little bit by removing the Emotion Engine chip, and because Blu-Ray players started going down in manufacturing costs over the years. But they continued to sell PS3's at a loss for a number of years. They burned a lot of money, but in doing so they made the PS3 successful, and regained the trust of the consumers. And this was very important for the premise of PS4. It's reasonable to expect that the shareholders want to make some of that money back with the PS4. And I agree with that. But I don't think it's reasonable to hold the potential of PS4 back forever because of it. They certainly see what the success of the PS3 has done for PS4, so they'll likely focus on that as well at some point.

I agree with you about The Order. It didn't live up to the standards we'd come to expect. Though it was one of their only first party exclusives, and as a company you have to put marketing and hype behind it, even if it's taken a direction you may not agree with. At least the money and hype behind Bloodborne seemed warranted. And hopefully they'll make sure that the games they invest in will be worth while from now on. There's also the issue with The Last Guardian, and we haven't seen Gran Turismo yet, etc. Though while first party titles are very important for Sony, it's always been the third party titles that made them strive. And on that regard they seem to have been hitting all the right notes lately.

I'm referring to the PS3 as a whole when I talk about profit margins. The hardware clearly wasn't the profit point, but while my memory is somewhat fuzzy, I'm still recalling that 2008-9 and onward they turned a profit on the PS brand. I could be remembering wrong though. 

And I do have to credit them on their third party support. While I don't care about most of the games they've gotten locked up, they are doing a good job. But then, in terms of brand, the Xbox brand is doing pretty well with that too this gen. So that's sort of a trade off to me. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Nem said:
Well, yes. Microsoft never stood a chance because of it. The Xbox brand and even Microsoft's brand has not always been the better received ones. Yeah Microsoft is a strong brand in the business sense, but not in the consumer sense. The Xbox itself is a poorly realised achronym in my opinion and reveals how centered in the american market microsoft is because they did not ponder what it meant in other languages.
It was mismanaged since the start, the xbox brand and both the content and business models were adopted with the north american market in first sight and others as an afterthought. The consoles will always struggle because of this and its too late to change it unless they go Nintendo style and change the name of the console and try to build a new more worldwide friendly brand.

As to why PS is a strong brand it stems from saving the market from the slump the Nintendo 64 and Saturn were bringing and going widespread with RPG's and the 3D gaming revolution while beeing more affordable than the competition. Then they followed that with the hugely sucessful PS2 and after that they showed they wont abondon their console with the PS3. Even though on portables they have stained this image, on consoles they have more than earned strong consumer trust, and their consoles have a world wide appeal, without the focus of a single region standing out too much.

So, in conclusion... yes. Microsoft should either be content with 2nd or 3rd place or just leave the market, because with the Xbox brand its not going to happen.

Arrogant post, with little research.

Its not about trying to be number one on the sales charts, its about making money, The PS2 basiaclly had no competition apart from a falling Sega company which left gamers to buy 1 console for awhile and with no competitors, PS2 sold at a ridiclus price, it contiued to stay on top of the charts because it was the oldest console on the market.  

You act as if the Xbox brand is failing and they should except defeat? Why? They are making money, they are selling systems and games and again its not about 1st place. If they left the competition then expect the next PS console to be priced at a ridiclus price just like there history shows. I am glad there is Xbox, i am glad theres a brand out there competing and willing to try new and different things.

Healthy competiton is a great thing but alot of fanboys treat these as there sport teams. Which will again tell you that the most populour sports teams arent always the greatest teams in there respected competitions.

Listen, its ok if you disagree, but there is nothing arrogant about it nor little research as i know alot about branding. That is you taking it personally.

The OP (if you read it) mentions that Microsoft is aiming to be the top dog of the market and that is never going to happen under these circunstances, so should they accept 2nd place or something else? It didnt happen last gen where the conditions were better with Sony making huge mistakes, how do you propose they change it this generation? Keep in mind that the US market isnt the problem. Its the asian markets and the european markets. Xbox is not a strong brand on these markets and without them its impossible to dominate the worldwide market. I dont know why you take it personally when this is a generally known fact and its the topic.

Instead of trying to do personal attacks stick to the argument and tell us how this situation can be reversed. Or wether they should just accept it or give up, wich was what i said and quite honestly its what you are saying aswell, so i dont get your reaction. Theres no console wars in my post and i sugest you stop trying to make them. I am pointing out what i perceive are the problems with the Xbox brand and the reasons the Playstation brand is so strong.

danasider said:
Of course Playstation is the bigger gaming brand (over Xbox, not Microsoft of course). However, it'd be silly for them to just quit and accept second place. Competition is usually a good thing for consumers.

It's not about quitting, but more about accepting the reality that they are fighting against a stronger brand

But I do agree that copetition is needed.

97alexk said:

Im shocked how many people said that playstation is a more popular gaming brand then nintendo, because i think nintendo is way more known than playstation. More people know games from nintendo than from playstation.

Sure they know mario more than sony franchises but most people cant name the newest nintendo console or games, while the name playstation is widedly more popular. Nintendo always used new names for their system, so there never could grow a brand of.

Both Nintendo and Sony have had multiple generations where they were the clear winner while Microsoft has had the original Xbox that stumbled due to a high initial price point and the Xbox 360 which was a strong competitor to the PS3 and Wii but not the outright winner.

The Xbox consoles have made great contributions to the gaming market as it is today and should be lauded for doing so just like the Sega consoles and the Atari consoles. Just because their not the best does not mean they aren't great.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

they have been arround for 4 generations of which they have "dominated" 2 and are in route to dominate a 3rd one, not to mention that even on the 7th gen when they "fucked up" with a really expensive console that was also really hard to make games for they still made it second in the end and they got really close to the Wii at 86 million right now and will probably end up somewhere in the 90+ million units sold.

so yeah in terms of home consoles i would say they have the strongest Brand.