By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Xbox Brand Simply Weaker Than the Playstation Brand?

Which Gaming Brand is the Biggest?

Playstation 690 76.07%

Xbox 51 5.62%

Nintendo 124 13.67%

iOS 42 4.63%

Total:907
thismeintiel said:
Mr Puggsly said:

To be fair, Nintendo and Sega was pushing 3D gaming before Sony entered the fray. And we all know N64 was superior with the polygons.

When PS1 launched they made a platform that did a pretty good job pushing polygons. But people still give them way too much credit, Sony came into the industry because it was already thriving. People seem to think video games weren't popular until PS1.

It never thrived as much before the PS1.  Sony and PlayStation are what helped push gaming into the mainstream.  Deny it if you wish. I know sometimes the truth can hurt if you don't want to except it.

The thing is each generation thrived more and more even before Playstation. As I mentioned already, Sega and Nintendo platforms accounted for over 250 million sales even before Playstation existed.

It should also be noted a massive number of consoles were sold in the 7th gen (260+ million) and that's when Playstation was least relevent.

I give Sony credit for making the industry more competive, which made gaming better for consumers. But the industry would have continued to thrive even without Sony. Don't get me wrong though, I'm glad Sony entered the market. Simply because they likely inspired MS to get into the industry, they also made the industry better.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

A lot of people seems to forget that Nintendo handhelds has always done well and still going decently strong. For that reason alone, I say Nintendo is ultimately a stronger brand.

Redgrave said:
Boosted said:

nostolgia much.

They arent even remotly or will ever be the biggest or best ever, their reluctence to adopt to new tech and new market wants will ensue that.  They haev the potential just not the drive or weant to give an attempt at that.

Nostolgia? Behave yourself. It's my opinion.

You gotta be kidding. First you state that "They may have stumbled with the Wii U but there's no denying that they're the biggest and probably best ever" and then you tell someone to behave themselves because its just your opinion?

Which one is it? You can't claim that there's no denying and then act as if it was only your opinion.

As for my opinion, it's hard to tell. I think it's clear that ps is a much bigger brand than xb worldwide, but when it comes to Ninty and Sony, it's quite debatable. Ninty has the more well known characters which sells software, but Sony has a better reputation in terms of hardware. At the moment it seems to me that Sony is the stronger brand, but if Ninty play their cards right, they can beat Sony again (taking both handhelds and home consoles into account).

Angelv577 said:

You don't get the point of the thread do you? the question is if ps is stronger than xbox brand wise not profit wise and I already gave you the reason.  Let me go through it again, how is it possible that a console that launched at 599/499, 200 more expensive that the competition, launched one year later in US (europe was 1 year and half later) manage to sell on par with 360? the only way to do that is to have a better brand recognition than the competition.  If you invert the situation, 360 would have been a disaster and although I can't say xbox one is a disaster, you have almost an example how 360 would have performed with xbox one. 

If ps3 was weaker or not, it didn't matter, it was perceived like that by most gamers due to having most of the inferior ports.  The losses that sony got it's irrelevant to the market perception of the brand.  Sony can sell hundreds of ps consoles, everyone could have one, everyone could be talking about it but if sony made the decision to sell something at a loss or have a poor decision making in the hardware process, it's their decision.  When consumers are deciding to buy something, they never take into account a much of a loss the company is taking, so again, brand recognition have nothing to do with how many losses sony generated with ps3 since consumers didn't make any decision when deciding how to make the ps3, they just buy the product they want and that's it. 

Let me sum up everything I have just written.  If both consoles are launched on the same condition,  ps consoles have higher probability to win a console war against xbox consoles.  I'm not saying they are invincible but that's the reality.  sony made a huge mistake with ps3 and still manage to be on the top 5 of all time.  xbox one will be lucky to hit 50million let alone 60million.  Look at Wii U, nintendo made a mistake and will be lucky to hit 20milliion.  You can tell that in the console space, ps is the strongest brand.

Shackkobe said:

Holiday 2014 was really good for Xbox One. Price cuts plus good games and superb console bundles caused sales to spike...but (worldwide) it still couldn't outsell the PS4.

Should Microsoft concede and simply settle for second place since the Playstation brand is stronger?

I get point of thread, and yes PS brand is stronger than Xbox but brand did not affect to sell PS4 twice better than Xbox One.

I already wrote what are reason for PS3 to sell better later than on start of generation, and dont have nothing with brand, it have with strong Sony push till the moment PS4 arrived, you cant say just, its because of stronger brand, if that case is PS3 would sell much better than Xbox 360, without strong Sony push and billions invested to turn things around, PS3 would be sold much less than Xbox 360.

In this PS4/Xbox One situation, main reason is 1080p resolution vs 900p for same games, but like Sony in previosu generation, Microsoft can't turn Xbox One around, because PS4 will have stronger hardware for whole generation (not case with Xbox360/PS3), and 900p/1080p will probably be thing for whole generation. That my opinion but not only my, look down.

You can see here in this case Brand is 1st reason for XboxOne and Better Resolution for PS4 purchase.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2015/no-stranger-to-the-video-game-most-eighth-generation-gamers-have-previously-owned-consoles.html

Quote tree shortened, user has been sent pm.

- Shinobi-san

Shackkobe said:
Miyamotoo said:
Shackkobe said:

Holiday 2014 was really good for Xbox One. Price cuts plus good games and superb console bundles caused sales to spike...but (worldwide) it still couldn't outsell the PS4.

Could it simply be that Playstation is a stronger gaming brand? Playstation has been on the market longer than Xbox. Playstation is also the brand that sold 150 million consoles in one generation (a feat that may never be repeated). To a large number of gamers worldwide, Playstation is synonymus with gaming, and Xbox may not necessarily have that reach.

Should Microsoft concede and simply settle for second place since the Playstation brand is stronger?

Leave your thoughts.

PS4 selling much better than Xbox One have nothing with stronger brand, stronger brand did not help PS3 last gen.

Main reason why PS4 is selling much better than Xbox One is that same multiplat games works on 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One.

Well, I wold like to believe that there is a little more to the PS4's current dominance than simply 1080p. But, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

Of course there is, but 1080p main reason, not simply brand.

You can see here in this case Brand is 1st reason for XboxOne and Better Resolution for PS4 purchase.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2015/no-stranger-to-the-video-game-most-eighth-generation-gamers-have-previously-owned-consoles.html

User has been sent pm with regards to this post and others.

- Shinobi-san

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
Azuren said:

I have literally NEVER heard someone use Xbox as short hand for games, and I love in the Xenophobia capital of America (Texas). If there's one place that will choose American stuff at the default, it's Texas, and "Nintendo" is the only video game shorthand that uses a band name.

I have, a lot. Mainly in Cali/Oregon. Also TV shows tend to use it a lot as shorthand for games here. Dunno how it is in Texas (havent lived there in 9yrs o~o) but over on the west coast Ive seen a few people use Xbox for video games.

From my experience you either have brand aware people who specifically refer to consoles they play on, or refer to gaming as such. As for device, its typically phone, iPhone, or iPad for the more casual audience.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Miyamotoo said:
Shackkobe said:

Well, I wold like to believe that there is a little more to the PS4's current dominance than simply 1080p. But, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

This survey most likely covers US only. Considering the earlier graph on the same website and the number 1 and 2 reasons are irrelevant outside of the US.

On a side note 3. is just silly,

This thread is about the entirety of the relevance which would be akin to the strength of the various console brands.

And while Nielsen is credible, there are several reasons why this graph is flawwed or can't be taken at face value.

At the very least, it is ridiculous to claim the number 1 reason on this chart is the actual number 1 reason, else XB1 would be selling a lot better despite its price.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Miyamotoo said:
Shackkobe said:

Playstation is percieved to be the best brand on a global scale. Some may of bought the xbox one because of brand but isn't that just brand loyality and not global trends in gaming?

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2010/12/ea_playstation_brand_stronger_than_xbox_on_a_global_basis

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/24/sonys-playstation-brand-strongest-in-the-industry/

Miyamotoo said:
Shackkobe said:

User has been sent pm with regards to this post and others.

- Shinobi-san

You do realise that I'm speaking about worldwide sales and worldwide brand. Quoting a survey from just one country may just be a little too narrow for this discussion. 

I think one of the main problems last generation, especially on Xbox was that it felt like it was a one trick pony in terms of the games it offered. Gears, Halo, Forza, rinse and repeat. It was an FPS dream but the diversity wasn't there. And when titles did appear that broke the norm for the Xbox, they just didn't sell very well.

It's the main reason I switched from 360 to PS4. Nothing really to do with the supposed power difference, more to the point that when I owned a 360 I felt like I was missing out on so much that was on the PS3, and all I was being shovelled was the next Halo, the 4th instalment of Gears, the 5th version of Forza or whatever.

Put simply, I wanted more choice this time around than running around a map with a gun which I'd seen countless times before but with a different name on it.

So yeah, I don't think necessarily that Sony is the bigger brand, but it IS known for being more diverse and offering up more choice in terms of games you can play.

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M