By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Xbox Brand Simply Weaker Than the Playstation Brand?

Which Gaming Brand is the Biggest?

Playstation 690 76.07%

Xbox 51 5.62%

Nintendo 124 13.67%

iOS 42 4.63%

Total:907

The ps brand is certainly larger in majority of the world markets, and it should be with its dominant performance since inception.

However, I do have one thing to say about the op. People love to talk about how terrible the PS3 launch was and talk about how the 360 still let the PS3 catch up. The problem with that statement is it fails to take into account the 360's own failure of a launch, which in many ways was even worse than the ps3's. The 360 manufacturing was broken. Half the systems coming off the line didn't work and half the systems they shipped quickly broke. That went on for over three years. Personally, I think that amounts to a worse launch then just being overpriced.

Around the Network

PC brand is much stronger and older!

486 said:
PC brand is much stronger and older!

What does that have to do with the thread topic?

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

Playstation got popular with a diverse library of games so fans of many different genres are into PS.

Xbox got popular with shooters, Anglo Saxon countries are really into shooters(not to mention NFL and other US centric deals), MS can get %50 market here

MS tried forcing their way in other genres like platforming and rpgs but abandoned it just as fast after their first attempt failed, losing all goodwill they had. I'm sure had they kept trying the audience would slowly migrate over there.

thismeintiel said:
Mr Puggsly said:

To be fair, Nintendo and Sega was pushing 3D gaming before Sony entered the fray. And we all know N64 was superior with the polygons.

When PS1 launched they made a platform that did a pretty good job pushing polygons. But people still give them way too much credit, Sony came into the industry because it was already thriving. People seem to think video games weren't popular until PS1.

It never thrived as much before the PS1.  Sony and PlayStation are what helped push gaming into the mainstream.  Deny it if you wish. I know sometimes the truth can hurt if you don't want to except it.

who is denieing that sony opened u the gaming market for the casuals?   gaming was a growing subculture long before sony entered the race.   i dont have a problem with more gamers, but i have a problem with the culture shift that came with it, the casuals were okay with mediocre games, and cared more for Cool games than for good games...  and now we life in a world were  EA can publish battlefield hardline for FULLPRICE and people go out and buy it...

Around the Network
generic-user-1 said:

who is denieing that sony opened u the gaming market for the casuals?   gaming was a growing subculture long before sony entered the race.   i dont have a problem with more gamers, but i have a problem with the culture shift that came with it, the casuals were okay with mediocre games, and cared more for Cool games than for good games...  and now we life in a world were  EA can publish battlefield hardline for FULLPRICE and people go out and buy it...

But that's the case with entertainment in general (music, films, TV...) Gaming is actually still the last bastion of quality in entertainment (although that is fading rapidly with the massive growth of mobile phone gaming).

Burek said:
generic-user-1 said:

But that's the case with entertainment in general (music, films, TV...) Gaming is actually still the last bastion of quality in entertainment (although that is fading rapidly with the massive growth of mobile phone gaming).

i dont think mobile gaming is a problem, i dont care about it, the companys dont market their games for me and all is fine.

i think the the majority of the twin owners is the problem, The AAA casuals that buy cod,asscred,BF,etc every year, those people are the ones that are fine with mediocre games and badly designed dlc.

generic-user-1 said:

i dont think mobile gaming is a problem, i dont care about it, the companys dont market their games for me and all is fine.

i think the the majority of the twin owners is the problem, The AAA casuals that buy cod,asscred,BF,etc every year, those people are the ones that are fine with mediocre games and badly designed dlc.

But it is those casuals that are actually keeping gaming alive and well. Without CoD, FIFA, Battlefield and the rest of the 10 million sellers, market would be in a place where Nintendo is now - declining and dying. Nintendo can put out as much quality as they want, but they will remain the equivalent of Oscar winning films: Praised by many, watched/played by few. 

Of course, I am one of those casuals, who certainly would not be buying $400 devices to play a rare occasional critical darling. I bought it to play games that entertain me, not to sit on a high horse and thumb my nose at the plebes.

Burek said:
generic-user-1 said:

But it is those casuals that are actually keeping gaming alive and well. Without CoD, FIFA, Battlefield and the rest of the 10 million sellers, market would be in a place where Nintendo is now - declining and dying. Nintendo can put out as much quality as they want, but they will remain the equivalent of Oscar winning films: Praised by many, watched/played by few. 

Of course, I am one of those casuals, who certainly would not be buying $400 devices to play a rare occasional critical darling. I bought it to play games that entertain me, not to sit on a high horse and thumb my nose at the plebes.

i could life in a duopol and 80m sold consoles every gen, if the games are good. 

and yes, i rather have 1 birdman than 20 transformers movies...

and how can a COD entertain you? the singleplayer is bad, the multiplayer isnt very balanced, idiotic unlocks(those are okay at f2p games, but not in fullprice...)and the community is just the worst.  

and dont understand me wrong, im not against action movies or games(i like em alot). 

Burek said:
generic-user-1 said:

Who dies?You have really killed it...;)