By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was MGS4 severely overated??

Every Metal Gear game is overrated.

Around the Network

I would say the first couple of chapters are actually good. Really good. After that--when you start following some guy through the streets the game just goes downhill and doesn't stop.

I'd say the final fight between snake and ocelot is worth the price of admission by itself.

Though the whole 'ocelot brainwashed himself into believing he was liquid order to get snake to do something he'd do regardless but Kojima had to explain himself out of the corner he'd written himself into and could only come up with big boss deus ex machina' bullshit still pisses me off.

I fee like we were playing a different game...

The gameplay in MGS4 including the controls were the most balanced and smooth out of all the MGS games. The difficulty was also the most balanced and there were a lot of customization options and areas to explore and goof around with.

That being said though the story was too much of an extension of other MGS games leaving MGS4 without much of an identity other than serving as an homage to past MGS games.

I wish the game's story wasn't so confined in this manner. The environments were also pretty boring.

The art style and animations however were fantastic.

Lube Me Up

Around the Network

No, it's as good as the scores it got. Really a masterpiece and maybe the best game of the 7th gen.

It's a crap game imo, didn't like it at all. Well maybe not complete crap because I suppose the visuals were okay and the OST wasn't terrible, it's nothing more than mediocre at best.

It's the first and last Metal Gear Solid game I'll ever play, definitely one of the most overrated games ever.

MGS4.

+ Best gameplay in the series by a long shot... replay the HD Collection after MGS4 shows how dated the gameplay in old titles was.

+ Possible the best plot of the whole series... MGS3 together... no more the nonsense of MGS2.

+ You can play the entry game like you want... I got the Platinum and needed to make a full run of ways different types and strategies... a full shooters run and a full stealth run... amazing.

+ The executions of scenes and musics are brilliants.

+ The most challenging MGS... it is really really hard to get Platinum.

The game was truly epic... if you made a research for the best games played you will see MGS3 in the TOP20 / TOP30 of all time in most of gamers.

I really want to play it again because I enjoyed every run I did to finish it... the opposite of MGS2 that I did the next runs just for the Platinum (yeap I beat it over 6 times too).

well to me it was:

gameplay 7/10
everything else 10/10

9/10 I was very well entertained.

I thought it was fantastic. A terrific end to Solid Snake's story. It was a bit cut-scene heavy but I expected it playing the first few games. Graphics, sound, and music were all superb. The controls were responsive and satisfying as well. It had a fun online mode too. I literally finished this game in two sittings back in the day.