By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was MGS4 severely overated??

what other MGS game do you get to go MG Vs MG. This is so epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA02xxwaOH8

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
foodfather said:

Yes. It was one of the worst games I played last gen. Even some of my die hard MGS fan friends think the game sucks now. It was all fanservice for all its 10 hours of cutscenes, with barely 5 hours of actual gameplay, most of which was utter crap.

It was a far cry from MGS 3 and the ridiculous amount of 10/10 reviews probably came from the fact that it was the PS3's first AAA game.

It was no suprise to see the MGS4 not even make the IGN top 100 list.  http://uk.ign.com/top/modern-games/1

Didn't they set a rule saying that only 1 title out of a series was aloud on the list? It not being in their top 100 just means they felt Peace Walker was better.

I almost choked when I witnessed Raiden dispatch 40 enemies holding a sword... With his teeth..

Kyuu said:
MGS4 had great graphics, excellent gameplay mechanics. The story was very good if hindered by lengthy cutscenes and weird plot-twists. On the downside, the characters weren't as good as in its predecessors. It was also by far the least ambitious main entry in the series, hardly adding any meaningful mechanic to the genre. Another thing I disliked is the weaker re-playability compared to MGS3.

But I have to say, it remains my personal favorite video game from last generation (beating even the Last of Us which I liked a lot) This is mostly due to the strong sense of nostalgia it gives the player as well as its very well executed emotional moments. The chapter where you get to play in Shadow Moses was simply perfect, a love letter to the fans of the original game.

Was it overrated? depends on the review, really. No, it does not deserve a 10. I played over 500 games and none of them is worthy of a perfect score.

That chapter is when it hit me how much I prefered MGS1 to what I was playing at the moment. Another moment, was when there's a brief glimpse of Psycho Mantis, I once again thought "I miss MGS1"

Signature goes here!

no. best game ever made.

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

Around the Network
ihatefatkatz said:
It was my first MGS game. I enjoyed it and have a high opinion of it, but not a memorable title.

thats why lol.

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

My journey:

-My bro and I got Metal Gear for the NES after seeing the "Ultra Games" commercial. We were shocked to discover that it was nothing like Commando/Ikari Warriors and required some thought, We were instantly in love.

-We found out the "sequel" called Snake1s Revenge was coming out and immediately got our hands on that. Despite what many have said, the story was very serious and actually shocked the hell out of me. Loved that game, too!

-I found out MGS1 was coming out and actually bought it while on a date. The lady I was with was shcocked but I didn't give a damn. I was a HUGE Metal Gear fan and it was all I could think about. It was a 10/10 game.

-The first game I bought with my PS2 was Zone of the Enders and I got it for the MGS2 demo. That demo would have been GotY for me! Played it 7 billion times.

-Finally got MGS2 and, unlike a lot of people, I was not disappointed. I thought Raiden was awesome. I even bought "The Document of MGS2". Still got it! It was a 10/10 experience.

-Got Twin Snakes on Gamecube and loved it, too. Cutscenes sucked but I played it repeatedly. I was happy.

-MGS3 was the greatest game, ever.

-Got MGS PO for PSP because I couldn't miss a single chapter! It was also awesome.

-Got Peace Walker for PSP, too! Amazing experience, as well.

Not only that, I purchased almost all of these games two or more times!! I fucking love the MGS series. Even got HD collection on PSv and PS3 and MGS3 for 3DS.

With all of that said, I purchased an 80GB PS3 /MGS4 bundle on day one at midnight. I had never been more disappointed by a game in my entire life. That game was a mess of gameplay, story telling, and ideas. I actually felt cheated for the first time in a MGS game. I could dig up my posts from 2008 to give my impressions. MGS4 got rave revies but it wasn't just a bad MGS title. It was a bad game, period.

Horribly overrated. It wasn't even a stealth game; you can just purchase ammo and weapons - no motivation to play it smart or explore. The map tells you where to go. Gameplay was dumbed-down, and don't get me started on the story. MGS5 looks to be on the right track though.

Not the best game in the series, but still a great game.

contestgamer said:
Lol, cutscenes took up too much time?? Go play splinter cell.

I remember back at that time complaining that there was no option whatsoever to skip the gameplay portions to watch the cutscenes - or at least the option to view full demo theatre before playing the game. The gameplay was also too long in terms of there being some 30 min to 1 hour segments without a real cutscene in some places. Not as bad as MGS3 which totally messed up the ratio in favor of gameplay, but IMO MGS2 struck the right balance that MGS4 didn't quite follow. (and probably didn't really try admittedly)

The story also wasn't as creative as MGS1 and 2 IMO. I have it third on my list overall (behind MGS2 and MGS1). Clearly it was game of the year, but you're right it could have been better, just for the opposite reasons that you mentioned.

That would be a new concept in videogames. Why play a game when you can only see its cutscenes? Well, to each his own I guess. Kojima could make a movie instead of a game and that's it, in my opinion.

Yeah, I find it very overrated too. Not all the series (3&1 are actually amazing games), but 4 doesn't have the right balance (I'm not a fan of MGS2, too). MGS4 feels more like a film to me. And, well, I'm a gamer, and while I understand there are these "cinematic experiences", you have to balance gameplay/cutscenes right. But the balance in this game is fucked up.