By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was MGS4 severely overated??

Absolutely not.

You could maybe make a case for underrated, despite all the acclaim...

But definitely not overrated.

Around the Network

nope MGS4 is one of the best in 7th generation, beside TLOU and Uncharted series for me.

Darc Requiem said:
I never thought the game was good when came out. I'm actually shocked to read that people thought the story was good. Nanomachines seemed to be cure all for any unexplainable event. Honestly, I found Snake working with Naomi again flat out insulting. She purposely infected him with Fox Die.

Man, the names stop me ever taking MGS seriously. "Solid Snake", "Solidus Snake", "Liquid Snake", "Big Boss", "Fox Die", "Decoy Octopus"...

I swear the only thing as ridiculous as the names is the story. 

My favorite game series is MGS. In order, I would rank them MGS3>MGS1>MGS4>MGS2. I think they are all great games and definitely not overrated.

ethomaz said:
MGS4.

+ Best gameplay in the series by a long shot... replay the HD Collection after MGS4 shows how dated the gameplay in old titles was.

+ Possible the best plot of the whole series... MGS3 together... no more the nonsense of MGS2.

+ You can play the entry game like you want...
I got the Platinum and needed to make a full run of ways different types and strategies... a full shooters run and a full stealth run... amazing.

+ The executions of scenes and musics are brilliants.

+ The most challenging MGS... it is really really hard to get Platinum.

The game was truly epic... if you made a research for the best games played you will see MGS3 in the TOP20 / TOP30 of all time in most of gamers.

I really want to play it again because I enjoyed every run I did to finish it... the opposite of MGS2 that I did the next runs just for the Platinum (yeap I beat it over 6 times too).

I agree with the bolded. Over the shoulder aiming, moving while crouched, gun customization and octocam(yes! octocam. I didn't mind the camo in mgs3 when I 1st played it on the ps2 but replaying the HD ver, I find it really frustrating pausing the game very often just to change my camo). Even the MGS online is good, yeah it might be common now to have a multiplayer tacked in a single player focused game but back then, this was quite a shocking news especially in a MetalGear game. IIRC IGN even said that mgso can be a stand alone game.

I also like that you're given the "choice" to run and gun or to go full stealth. It gave me a reason to replay the game. My first playthrough is fullstealth and my 2nd is run and gun with most of the weapons already unlocked.

I don't get the complaints about recieving the BnBs back story after you beat them. Sniper wolf imo is the most interesting boss in mgs and you only got her backstory from otacon after you beat her. and BnBs backstory is just as good and even darker than some of the previous mgs bosses.

The 1st 2 chapters are imo the best in the series, the shadow moses flashbacks are spectacular same with robot fight and the final ocelot.

Currently playing

IOS - Knights of the Old Republic, Monster Hunter Freedom HD and Idolmaster Festa.

Steam-NovisNoah, Uplay-Limpanot, Origins-NovisNoah, PSN-NovisNoah, NNID-NovisNoah

Around the Network

Also, it is one of the best games I played last gen.

Currently playing

IOS - Knights of the Old Republic, Monster Hunter Freedom HD and Idolmaster Festa.

Steam-NovisNoah, Uplay-Limpanot, Origins-NovisNoah, PSN-NovisNoah, NNID-NovisNoah

Started playing through it again to snag some trophies. I've used the iPod to play Calling to the Night continuously hahaha

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Mirson said:

Horribly overrated. It wasn't even a stealth game; you can just purchase ammo and weapons - no motivation to play it smart or explore. The map tells you where to go. Gameplay was dumbed-down, and don't get me started on the story. MGS5 looks to be on the right track though.

Totally agree with this. The ability to purchase heaps of guns made it feel more like Call of Duty rather than Metal Gear Solid. The radar was a complete mess, so bad that I simply ignored it altogether. I also did not like the linear gameplay  that basically funnelled you to the destination. The boss designs were ok but they completely lacked personality and the actual battles with them were quite bland, remember this is the franchise that made us plug the controller into port 2 to defeat psycho mantis and also the massive scale battle with The End in MGS3(in which you could actually wait a few days in real time and he would die of old age).

MGS5 does look like a true return to form with actual infiltration and stealth required.

well it is a bit overrated, but its still one of the best games last gen and maybe the best sony exclusive game last gen...

I remember being EXTREMELY disappointed by this game after all the hype about it when I played it on my brother's PS3. There were so many things about that game that sapped my enthusiasm to play it right from the get go. Here's my first impressions: Watching Snake smoke for what felt like forever (in a time when I was used to just popping a disk in and getting started) while the disk installed, imagine my surprise/irritation when this followed by having to sit through an Exercise Video on top of that. When the game finally begins and Snake gets dropped into a combat zone, I'm asked to hide under a truck so they can give me a rifle shooting tutorial while my comrades are being blown up around me. I couldn't help but think how ludicrous that is when Snake is supposed to be in his forties (looked like 50's) at this point, yet he requires in-combat training for how to fire a weapon. Couldn't the game have opened with a flashback to Snake in bootcamp if they want to force a gun shooting tutorial into the first mission? Next, a robo-centaur bursts onto the scene that actually makes "mooing" sounds. WTF? Okay, so this is your first boss fight? No. You are instructed to run away. After running away from the mooing robo-centaur for a time, Snake finally stands his ground. Okay, boss fight now? Wrong again. Snake destroys the mooing robo-centaur in a Cut Scene. Thanks for letting me play the game instead of watching it. Now, I readily admit that I did not play the game to completion (as I said, I borrowed my brother's PS3 at the time before he moved 4 years ago), but a 10/10 game should suck you in from start to finish, and Guns of the Patriots did not do that for me in the least. It was the polar opposite of my experience playing Metal Gear Solid on the first PlayStation. I still remember being at the mall with my girlfriend (now wife) and buying that game. The woman cashier looked at it and said to my gf, "I hate this game. My boyfriend hasn't stopped playing it since it came out." And, that's exactly what happened. I couldn't stop playing. The characters in the game would tell me to go to sleep, because I was playing it so late into the night. Guns of the Patriots never ignited that passion in me. That's why, for me, I think it's highly overrated.