By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Battlefield Hardline is a sales catastrophe.

Is Battlefield Hardline a sales catastrophe?

Yes! EA better fix this! 52 72.22%

No! Transition to next gen is the reason. 20 27.78%

Total:72

A game no one wanted is not doing too well? I'm very, very shocked!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

I wonder if Jim Sterling's theory on Visceral games being next on the chopping block if BF:H didn't do as well as expected will become true. Now of course, we don't know how well it actually did nor do we know what EA's expectation for the game is but the theory is interesting none the less!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

super6646 said:

this adds up to around 2.75 million sales on all platforms. That is awful for a battlefield game. Even if it can have a few boost's, it'll be lucky to do 4 million lifetime. And if you think 2.75 million is low, why does it already have a price cut? Isn't that a bit strange?

For a side game developed by a different studio and mostly just a rehash... that doesn't seem terrible to me.

Its not like EA gave this the push of a numbered BF game.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Captain_Yuri said:

I wonder if Jim Sterling's theory on Visceral games being next on the chopping block if BF:H didn't do as well as expected will become true. Now of course, we don't know how well it actually did nor do we know what EA's expectation for the game is but the theory is interesting none the less!

I think Visceral has two teams. One is working on Star Wars, which I'm assuming is the better team, and the one that was working on BF:H. So I doubt they're on the chopping block even if Battlefield does poorly.

When you people will learn? Suckers from EA will ruing every franchisee and every development studio.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
super6646 said:

this adds up to around 2.75 million sales on all platforms. That is awful for a battlefield game. Even if it can have a few boost's, it'll be lucky to do 4 million lifetime. And if you think 2.75 million is low, why does it already have a price cut? Isn't that a bit strange?

For a side game developed by a different studio and mostly just a rehash... that doesn't seem terrible to me.

Its not like EA gave this the push of a numbered BF game.

This. Obviously it's just a cheap spin-off that's only a bit more than an expansion.

It's a battlefield game about police, made by visceral for some reason. I'm very surprised some people didn't realize it was going to turn out bad and not sell nearly as well as other entries in the Battlefield series.

No one was looking forward to it. I only got it because I have a thing for cheesy cop shows.

I think it's okay for a spin off, their focus is really on Star Wars Battlefront!!!

Look out for the reveal this week

As for Visceral, I think it depends how they're doing in their own Star Wars game. But you'd hope they'd be given time, since as far as I can tell, it's not a bad game so much as mediocre. The Dead Space games did well in general, so maybe they'll be given a bit of leeway

Bare in mind they are located in Redwood City, which is EA headquaters, I doubt they'd destroy the brand though they might just decrease the studio's scale

But frankly, I just really want lots of high quality Star Wars games

Hopefully they understand the problem is that the BF name was tacked on to a product that doesn't deliver the BF standard, going all the way back to BF 1942 : big battles with a ton of players on big maps. Yes, more recent games have also had smaller battles, but it's also always been about warfare.

A cops and robbers game more focused on tight spaces was never going to appeal to the majority of BF fans anyway. As a long-time BF fan from the first game, I can say that I was certainly never interested, but it doesn't mean for a second that I've written off BF or even the developer. If a publisher has you do (and name) something that may not make a ton of sense, well, you do your job. AFAIK, there are a good number of people who DO enjoy Hardline, and good for them.

Previously the spinoffs were limited to some FTP games and the Bad Company spinoffs. But generally even those had pretty large maps and a warfare environment.

So let's wait and see how BF5 does before any tombstones are minted.