By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Battlefield Hardline is a sales catastrophe.

Is Battlefield Hardline a sales catastrophe?

Yes! EA better fix this! 52 72.22%

No! Transition to next gen is the reason. 20 27.78%

Total:72

Is hardline a bad battlefield game then or something? I thought battlefield 4 was OK online

Around the Network
Nogamez said:
Is hardline a bad battlefield game then or something? I thought battlefield 4 was OK online

I don't think it's bad, just vastly different, and with a notably lower sales trajectory.

It would be like Activision releasing a COD : US Marshals edition where you (just to flip it on it's head) had huge maps and overall experienced a different kind of take on FPS, but with a COD label on the game cover.

Would it sell? Probably decently, but many COD long-time fans would skip it or bash it.

It is basically the continuation of the Medal of Honor rotation. Since they got rid of that studio and moved the employees to this Dice spinoff studio.

Basically if it does as good as the Medal of Honor (PS3/360) then they will surely make sequels. But if it as bad as Medal of Honor Warfighter, then they will be moved or disbanded.

Captain_Yuri said:

I wonder if Jim Sterling's theory on Visceral games being next on the chopping block if BF:H didn't do as well as expected will become true. Now of course, we don't know how well it actually did nor do we know what EA's expectation for the game is but the theory is interesting none the less!

[image]

It would be a shame to see Visceral close, they're a pretty good developer.

OT: While BF:H will definitely see a dramatic drop from BF3/4, it's hard to say if EA will actually be disappointed. For a spin-off, and one that likely cost considerably less than the main entries (there's a lot of re-purposed assets from BF3/4, and less content in general), even just a few million sales could be seen as a success.

Ka-pi96 said:
super6646 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
It will still sell more than the vast majority of games...

Doesn't matter. Such sales drop offs especially for games like this is a disaster for EA. Having an 80% drop off from your best selling game in a few years is a recipe for disaster.

Except it isn't from their best selling franchise (partly because that's FIFA) but also because it's just a spinoff, not a mainline Battlefield game. Huge sales drop offs for spinoffs is quite common and should be expected.

As it is hard to get any real numbers on games development cots and earnings we have to guess that the 2.75 million copies sold will make it break even at this point. 

2.75 million * ~$30 (half of retail price) = approx. $80 million.

I do not think EA is content with break-even!

http://www.newgamernation.com/editorial-is-the-60-dollar-price-point-too-high/

http://kotaku.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-make-a-big-video-game-1501413649

Around the Network

With vgchartz no longer updating i guess sales numbers will disapear and we will be completely in the dark unless someone leaks NPD, wich apparantly is risky.

Maybe its for the best. I am sure that in this case, EA is very apreciative of the lack of negative buzz due to this.

super6646 said:

So EA recently released statisics on Battlefield Hardline, which you can find here: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/battlefield-hardline-players-earned-901-billion-of/1100-6426496/

There's a lots of useless crap there, but no sales. We get a 2 billion minute figure for multiplayer (which is around 33,333,333 hrs), so that can give us some insight. If the average person has played multiplayer for around 12 hours since release (I'm being a bit generous since it released almost a month ago) this adds up to around 2.75 million sales on all platforms. That is awful for a battlefield game. Even if it can have a few boost's, it'll be lucky to do 4 million lifetime. And if you think 2.75 million is low, why does it already have a price cut? Isn't that a bit strange?

Compare this to Battlefield 4's 12 million, and Battlefield 3's 17 million (which was by the way only on Xbox 360, ps3, and PC) this is just a sales catastrophe. A 2/3 hit in sales in one year? And Battlefield 4 was already down over Battlefield 3!!! People are saying Call of Duty Advanced Warfare may "only do" 20 million which is down almost a 1/4 from its peak, but you have to remember two things. The last gen sales are down by more than 2/3's from their peak, and more and more people are moving digital. So a 1/4 hit can be feasible, but a 3/4 hit since Battlefield 3?! And another thing I want to mention was that Battlefield 3 was a big thread to Call of Duty, in fact it was actually comparable in sales. Now though, no its just bad! Bad! Bad!

So with this sales catastrophe, I see two things happening. One for the good, but one for the bad. One, I see visceral games being shut down by EA (so bye bye dead space) but I also see EA being forced to develope better games. That means actually extending their development period from 2 years to 3 years (like activision did with Call of Duty) focus on innovative new ways to change the genre, and of course better campaigns and more stable multiplayer. There's a lot more to mention, but if I where to it'd take all day. If EA doesn't do this, they'll lose the genre completely to Call of Duty and Halo, and FPS is a big genre out their in the gaming world.

Anyway this is the only choice EA will have. If they stick to the money sucking route (which they usually do) they can say bye bye to Battlefield and the whole genre (don't worry, EA still has EA sports LOL). But if they innovate and improve their business model, they just might be competitive till then. But if they keep this up, well I'm just a broken record at this point...

If you think of this as a Battlefield game then you will be disappointed and you will be wrong. Battlefield Hardline is to Battlefield as Metal Gear Rising Revengeance is to Metal Gear Solid. It's a game that is using name recognition to get better sales than it would if it was called "Battle for the Streets: Hardline" or some such other new brand new IP.

When Battlefield 5 comes along and it's a return to the military formula the sales will be as expected.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Why is a spinoff that they put minimal effort in being compared with the mainline series?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

No it isn't, in fact, I think it could be profitable after 2m sales.

Why?
Not a long, drawn out dev cycle.
No engine development, Frostbite 3 and BF4 tools just transplanted over to make content.
"Side project" by both Visceral and Dice, both studios are working on other big games, so not committed all their staff.

And we don't know the sales figures yet.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

I don't care tbh, I just want Star Wars Battlefront 3. They better not wreck it XD