By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Battlefield Hardline is a sales catastrophe.

Is Battlefield Hardline a sales catastrophe?

Yes! EA better fix this! 52 72.22%

No! Transition to next gen is the reason. 20 27.78%

Total:72

So EA recently released statisics on Battlefield Hardline, which you can find here: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/battlefield-hardline-players-earned-901-billion-of/1100-6426496/

There's a lots of useless crap there, but no sales. We get a 2 billion minute figure for multiplayer (which is around 33,333,333 hrs), so that can give us some insight. If the average person has played multiplayer for around 12 hours since release (I'm being a bit generous since it released almost a month ago) this adds up to around 2.75 million sales on all platforms. That is awful for a battlefield game. Even if it can have a few boost's, it'll be lucky to do 4 million lifetime. And if you think 2.75 million is low, why does it already have a price cut? Isn't that a bit strange?

Compare this to Battlefield 4's 12 million, and Battlefield 3's 17 million (which was by the way only on Xbox 360, ps3, and PC) this is just a sales catastrophe. A 2/3 hit in sales in one year? And Battlefield 4 was already down over Battlefield 3!!! People are saying Call of Duty Advanced Warfare may "only do" 20 million which is down almost a 1/4 from its peak, but you have to remember two things. The last gen sales are down by more than 2/3's from their peak, and more and more people are moving digital. So a 1/4 hit can be feasible, but a 3/4 hit since Battlefield 3?! And another thing I want to mention was that Battlefield 3 was a big thread to Call of Duty, in fact it was actually comparable in sales. Now though, no its just bad! Bad! Bad!

So with this sales catastrophe, I see two things happening. One for the good, but one for the bad. One, I see visceral games being shut down by EA (so bye bye dead space) but I also see EA being forced to develope better games. That means actually extending their development period from 2 years to 3 years (like activision did with Call of Duty) focus on innovative new ways to change the genre, and of course better campaigns and more stable multiplayer. There's a lot more to mention, but if I where to it'd take all day. If EA doesn't do this, they'll lose the genre completely to Call of Duty and Halo, and FPS is a big genre out their in the gaming world.

Anyway this is the only choice EA will have. If they stick to the money sucking route (which they usually do) they can say bye bye to Battlefield and the whole genre (don't worry, EA still has EA sports LOL). But if they innovate and improve their business model, they just might be competitive till then. But if they keep this up, well I'm just a broken record at this point...

Around the Network

I'll wait for NPD to verify. Also, these useless in-game statistics have become a trend this gen so I'm surprised they also EA also did it..

Ka-pi96 said:
It will still sell more than the vast majority of games...

^ There's that as well. 

Ka-pi96 said:

Doesn't matter. Such sales drop offs especially for games like this is a disaster for EA. Having an 80% drop off from your best selling game in a few years is a recipe for disaster.

TheGoldenBoy said:
I'll wait for NPD to verify. Also, these useless in-game statistics have become a trend this gen so I'm surprised they also EA also did it..

It must've sold much worse than expected, as EA isn't releasing sales figure's.

Around the Network

It was always going to flop. It games that really no one wanted. At least EA/Dice did try something a little different.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

super6646 said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

It must've sold much worse than expected, as EA isn't releasing sales figure's.

Why would they release sales figures? They are not obligated to and many publishers don't from what I know.

super6646 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Doesn't matter. Such sales drop offs especially for games like this is a disaster for EA. Having an 80% drop off from your best selling game in a few years is a recipe for disaster.

Pretty sure Fifa sells more?

outlawauron said:
It was always going to flop. It games that really no one wanted. At least EA/Dice did try something a little different.

I don't expect big numbers, but I doubt it will flop.

Bear in mind BF4 sold over 12 million according to VGChartz. So even a fraction of that could be very profitable.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

AnthonyW86 said:
super6646 said:

Pretty sure Fifa sells more?

I'm comparing to battlefield 3.