By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games That Weren't As Good As You Remembered

PieToast said:

Zelda Ocarina of Time. After the recent sad delay news of the latest iteration of the franchise the timeless classic didn't feel the same as the game I replayed many times as a kid.

what???

I can't believe I'm hearing, that is still one of the most sound Zelda's of all time in terms of game mechanics and puzzles. it has aged better than virtually any other games from that generation (on any systems)

Around the Network
Guitarguy said:
I play Goldeneye on emulator(sue me) and I use a Dual Shock 3 and assign the controls Call of Duty-style and the game still plays like a dream. Going back to the actual N64 version with the single analog stick would be very painful I could imagine, especially if the stick is worn out like most of them are now. Physical N64 controls aside, Goldeneye is still amazing to me. However playing Perfect Dark recently has made me realize that it was not as good as I remembered it. Too many features they tried to cram in turn out incomplete, many levels and their missions are very confusing, the enemy movement is erratic etc. I still love the game but it is not the masterpiece I once thought it was.

Perfect Dark Zero was just all sorts of terrible... What was with the slow-motion movement of the NPCs?

yes 007 Goldeneye graphically hasn't held up that well, but the charm and controls are still great especially on the N64 (rather that emulating online). both the multiplayer and single player are awesome to this day

theRepublic said:
It is painful to say it, but The Legend of Zelda and Metroid both come to mind. Gameplay design has just evolved so much since those games came out.

LOZ for NES still have a fairly unique set up in terms of secrets, the overworld (unique compared to its SNES counter part), and even combat with the flying sword at full hearts. sure the dungeons are a bit repetitive but if you're highlighting game design that strongly I get the impression you either never grew up or never were that fond of more simple early generation games 

Donkey Kong 64. Loved it as a kid. Now I see it's just a collectathan

MikeRox said:
Nem said:

Hmm... i recently got Jet set radio for the Vita. I had played the dreamcast version and the Xbox sequal... and after playing a while i recalled why i never finished the original. The game and the music was cool but the time limit + no indication of where the red arrows you were missing were or how to get there made me realise the game was incredibly flawed in design. I guess it was designed as an arcade game.
JSR Future was alot better. I guess my good memories of Future got mixed with the original and it really isnt the same.

It never came out in the arcade. It's actually one of my favourite games of all time. Finished it about 15 times and never once ran out of time. But I've heard a few people say the time limit killed it for them. I actually hated JSRF (and I paid £299 for an Xbox on release just for it! Halo Schmalo :D)

There was a map on the pause screen I'm sure that had all the tags shown so you could locate them. The idea was to memorise the levels for speed runs. I do think the controls on the HD port were a bit broken though compared with the original.

I know about it never beeing released on the arcades. I did use to be a SEGA fanboy back in the day. :P Old SEGA will always remain the best in my heart.

With that said, depite that and probably because it was SEGA (maybe they werent sure wether to release it on arcade aswell) it seems clear that the game was designed with an arcade kind of design for short and speedy bursts of play as you pointed out.

I did love JSRF though. I prefer not to be rushed and admire the scenary.

Around the Network
mountaindewslave said:
theRepublic said:
It is painful to say it, but The Legend of Zelda and Metroid both come to mind. Gameplay design has just evolved so much since those games came out.

LOZ for NES still have a fairly unique set up in terms of secrets, the overworld (unique compared to its SNES counter part), and even combat with the flying sword at full hearts. sure the dungeons are a bit repetitive but if you're highlighting game design that strongly I get the impression you either never grew up or never were that fond of more simple early generation games 

I don't like the game design of those two games anymore becase I did grow up.  I no longer have the time to wander around randomly, hoping I am going in the right direction and making some sort of progress.  All you need to do is move one generation further to find much better games in both of those series.  A Link to the Past and Super Metroid both offer exploration in spades, but with enough direction to keep the games from getting tedious.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Well I didn't have a PS3 when Uncharted: Drake's Fortune came out, but having played it recently I don't see how this game got all of those high ratings as it did. I thought it was just an OK game, but maybe that's just me.

WTF is a signature?

PSN: Haz3theFaz3

I`d say Pokemon Red/Blue. They were so great as a kid, but I tried playing it again some time ago, and it has definitely shown its age. There are other games I need to revisit to see if they held up, such as the Sonic Adventure games as well as Quest 64. Those were games I loved as a kid, and seeing how people see them now, they may be not as great as I remember them being.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons on the Intellivision - Pretty sure it isn't as good as I remember it. I have a copy but it is still shrink wrapped so I can't verify this.

Conker, replayed it recently and it's definitely aged. Still amazing though!!

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion