By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games That Weren't As Good As You Remembered

Devil May Cry 4 - I used to love it back in 2008, I was constantly trying to improve myself, beating the game countless times. Now I just can't get the same satisfaction out of it.

Same thing happened also with TES: Oblivion. It suffered major inflation after Skyrim

Warpath: Jurassic Park for PSOne is another one, what can I say, I used to love dinosaurs when I was 6-7 years old.

Around the Network

GTA san andreas

spemanig said:
Excitebike.

I didn't like it when it came out. I didn't like it ten years later... and I still don't like it. I love NES games, and grew up with them. I own over 100 original carts. But I have NO idea why anyone ever liked Excitebike. It's bland. It's boring. It's repetitive. And that isn't in hindsight. I thought all of those things as a kid in the 80's.

I just don't get it.

Cloudman said:
Quest 64

I recommend you not to play it ever again. That game wasn't good back when it released and it surely got worse over the years.

Bionic Commando
Double Dragon 1-3
Altered Beast (I really didn't know any better)
Banjo Kazooie
Golden Axe series
Fighting Force
All the Armored Core games before 4
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (This one saddens me the most)

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network

Super Mario Bros. (NES)
Final Fantasy 1 (NES)
Willow (NES)
Star Tropics (NES)
Excitebike (NES)
Metroid (NES)
Ghoul School (NES)
Daydreamin Davey (NES)
Back to the Future II& III (NES)
Yoshi Cookie (NES)
Ice Climbers (NES)
Topgun 1 (NES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
Wizards & Warriors (NES)
Topgun the Second Mission (NES)
The Little Mermaid (SNES)
Pokemon Yellow (Gameboy) (Red and Blue are fine... oddly enough)
F1 Racing (Gameboy)
Mario and the 6 Gold Coins (Gameboy)
Super Mario Kart (SNES)
F-Zero (SNES)
Pilotwings (SNES)
Legend of the Mystic Ninja (SNES)
Super Starwars (SNES)
The Lion King (SNES)
Wing Commander (SNES)
Star Trek DS9 (SNES)
Top Gear 3000 (SNES)
Star Trek The Next Generation (Snes)
Final Fantasy Mystical Quest (SNES)
Super Smash Bros. (N64)
Mario Kart 64 (N64)
Mario party 1 (N64)
Turok (N64)
Pokemon Puzzle League (N64)
Diddy Kong Racing (N64)
Pokemon Stadium (N64)
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire (N64)
Pikmin (Gamecube)
Super Mario Strikers (Gamecube)
Animal Crossing (Gamecube)
Lord of the Rings the Two Towers (Gamecube)
Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube)
Final Fantasy V (SNES - emulated and then GBA)
Final Fantasy IX (PS1)
Dark Cloud 1 (PS2)
Dark Cloud 2 (PS2)
Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2)
Legend of Mana (PS2)
Pokemon Black& White (DS)
Tales of the Abyss (3DS)
Fishing Resort (Wii)
Arc Rise Fantasia (Wii)
Metroid Other M (Wii)
Final fantasy Chocobo Dungeon (Wii)
Wii Sports (Wii)

Is my list too long? And yes, I own all of these and they all still work (more referring to the NES) :) I never bothered with PC games however because well... there are just too many... especially on steam.

There are more, I just cannot think of them... and the list was getting a bit long.

Tootylicious said:
Cloudman said:
Quest 64

I recommend you not to play it ever again. That game wasn't good back when it released and it surely got worse over the years.

Haha, I hear that a lot. I enjoyed it as a kid, so I might still enjoy it a bit now. I do know not to use the barrier move though. That move breaks the game ; )

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:
Tootylicious said:
Cloudman said:
Quest 64

Haha, I hear that a lot. I enjoyed it as a kid, so I might still enjoy it a bit now. I do know not to use the barrier move though. That move breaks the game ; )

Well, at your own risk. I also played it back then and finished it, of course. I don't remember if it was fun - I just played it, because it was the new game I bought. Having replayed it in like 2005, I still finished it but promised to myself to never touch that game again. At that point I realised how incredibly shallow the story was. And the gameplay is just terribly boring and one-dimensional. But I will remember the soundtrack in a positive way.

Most fall within two categories:

A) games that relied heavily upon what was bleeding edge technology at the time that has since aged

B) games that relied upon what are now obsolete styles of game design because developers were limited by the technology/specs of the time.

Most of the Metal Gear games fall into the first category and some fall within the second. Metal Gear Solid was revolutionary for the Playstation but like many Playstation games, has aged pretty poorly with respect to visuals. The only thing that keeps me going back to Metal Gear games is my attachment to the stories, characters and themes that were developed over the years. For some reason, MGS3 still seems to hold up better than the rest of the games.

Point and click adventure games fall within the second category. Story is about the only thing worth revisiting as many of them were well written. The Longest Journey falls squarely into this category. Love the story, but the crude visuals and dated game play makes it difficult to play through.

Quite a few side scrollers fall into the second category as well, with many really only worth being played as speed run games after being memorized.

A lot of JRPGs fall within the first and second categories, particularly FF games. If one doesn't have an attachment to a particular story and the characters in a given FF game, turn based "combat" and the grind is good for nothing but stretching out more play time in a game.

Tootylicious said:
Cloudman said:
Tootylicious said:
Cloudman said:
Quest 64

Well, at your own risk. I also played it back then and finished it, of course. I don't remember if it was fun - I just played it, because it was the new game I bought. Having replayed it in like 2005, I still finished it but promised to myself to never touch that game again. At that point I realised how incredibly shallow the story was. And the gameplay is just terribly boring and one-dimensional. But I will remember the soundtrack in a positive way.

Haha, I need to revisit it one more time just to see how it holds up! I remember there being a lack of story, but I think that was something I liked about it. Something about it feeling free, like going adventuring just for the sake of it. The combat in the game did lean on you just using water and earth, with rock being really good in the game. The music was great... : ) I listen to it even today. I love the music of the dark town at the end of the game, as well as the Inn music. It made me feel really relaxed. I also really like larapool. That town music was great. And the field music... That got me excited to leave the first town and go out exploring xD

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread