By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles X Needs to be on another system

Xenoblade Chronicles X on PC

Yes 101 13.76%

No 632 86.10%

Total:733
Volterra_90 said:
AnthonyW86 said:
There is about a 90% chance this game is going to be remastered for the NX so it will sell well enough in the end.

I'm not so sure. Nintendo consoles are usually BC, so maybe there will be no need to remaster the game. 

I have my doubts it will be, Nintendo must realise the benefits of being able to re-release you're games on a new system. Not to mention that it's pretty much impossible to keep the same system architecture(powerpc) for their new system.

That said even if it would be backwards compatible there will be people picking up the game if they missed it on Wii-U.

Around the Network
Hynad said:

So it's because OoT and MM aged so well that they deemed it proper to remake the graphics instead of just porting the games as is and just adjust the controls for handheld. I see.

What you're saying still doesn't apply to the majority of old 3D games. And you know it. So, why do you argue? It's true that most 3D games don't age well. You bring up the examples that haven't aged as bad as the others, and they're almost all cell-shaded games. How many of those are there? Compared to the ones who did age badly?

And come back in 10 years when your most recent examples will have aged more.

Who mentioned MM and OOT? Either way those games still look good today a remake doesn't change that or add anything to your stance, the games I mentioned highlight that what you claimed is flat out false as you claim it's down to being 2D and 3D when in actual fact it's down to art direction.

Funny thing is my most recent example would be RS2 which is 5 years old and looked good on hardware that was vastly inferior to the competition, some people didn't even think it was a Wii game when it leaked, all the others I mentioned are over 10 years old, JSR is 15 years old. Want some non cel shaded examples, REmake on GC that was made 13 years ago, RE0, pretty much most driving games like GT, PG, MSR etc..., MGS2 & 3.

The are many 2D games that don't look as good today and haven't aged well either, a lot of games on the NES, SNES, MS and MD have not stood the test of time visually as well as you claim, in fact lets look at FF for example a well known series, you knocked OOT and MM for being remade yet these games had their sprites redone for PSP and latter releases. Out of the 2D FF games only FFVI really stood the test of time visually and this is a case for just as many 2D games, it's all art direction that determines how well it visually ages.

sc94597 said:
Hynad said:

What do you think the budget for Xenoblade Chronicle X is? What about the original?

I don't think the Xenoblade games cost as much as you guys think. Nintendo has always been very conscious about the money they spend and the budget they allocate. If games like FF XV are being made, which so far look just as promising as Xenoblade Chronicle X, I don't see why you guys would make such claims.

That explains it. Other companies are not. Just look how SE handled FFVersus/XV. Sure they'll make it back many times with high sales and sequels, but it would be very interesting to see a comparison of the profits Nintendo will make from Xenoblade Chronicles X and the profits SE will make from FFXV if we were able to consider total costs. I'm sure FFXV will be more profitable, but not so excessively so like it could be. It says something when a mainline Final Fantasy budget is required to match Xenoblade Chronicles X in scope. As for actual game experience, FFXV and XBC:X are pretty unique, despite the insistence of many people to compare them. 

A budget no higher than Xenoblade's is required to reach its scope. Just because devs haven't taken the same approach as Xenoblade doesn't it isn't doable.

FF games have production value much higher than what is found in Monolith games. Animation, rendering, everything is of much higher quality from a production value point of view. That makes the cost go higher. 

Still, do you know how much FF XV will have cost when all is said and done?

AnthonyW86 said:
Volterra_90 said:

I'm not so sure. Nintendo consoles are usually BC, so maybe there will be no need to remaster the game. 

I have my doubts it will be, Nintendo must realise the benefits of being able to re-release you're games on a new system. Not to mention that it's pretty much impossible to keep the same system architecture(powerpc) for their new system.

That said even if it would be backwards compatible there will be people picking up the game if they missed it on Wii-U.

That's definitely a possibility. We don't know anything about next Nintendo home console, so, time will tell. And I'm confident that the game will sell well just on the WiiU. There isn't a big install base, but it has a ridiculously high attach rate, so I hope that it will do fine. 

Hynad said:
sc94597 said:

That explains it. Other companies are not. Just look how SE handled FFVersus/XV. Sure they'll make it back many times with high sales and sequels, but it would be very interesting to see a comparison of the profits Nintendo will make from Xenoblade Chronicles X and the profits SE will make from FFXV if we were able to consider total costs. I'm sure FFXV will be more profitable, but not so excessively so like it could be. It says something when a mainline Final Fantasy budget is required to match Xenoblade Chronicles X in scope. As for actual game experience, FFXV and XBC:X are pretty unique, despite the insistence of many people to compare them. 

A budget no higher than Xenoblade's is required to reach its scope. Just because devs haven't taken the same approach as Xenoblade doesn't it isn't doable.

FF games have production value much higher than what is found in Monolith games. Animation, rendering, everything is of much higher quality from a production value point of view. That makes the cost go higher. 

A budget no higher than Xenoblade's with developers from Monolith Soft is required to reach its scope. Different people developing the game will have different costs involved and different capabilities. Some teams might be able to reduce the costs involved. But we are talking about the real world scenario, not some idealistic one. 

Yes, Final Fantasy games utilize pre-rendering and being on the PS4 they have more freedom and obligation to improve on things like realistic animation. Again, that is another reason why more assets will imply a higher budget than if one utilized solely in-engine assets on a less demanding platform. 

Of course I don't personally know, but a game that was conceptualized in 2005 and had its first trailer in 2006 and will only release around ten years later must have a pretty sizeable cost of development. Of course said resources were used for other games, so we can't accurately consider the benefits of the costs, but I think it is safe to say that even without the difference in quality of the assets and the benefits to other games for having its resources, FFXV would cost many times that of XBC:X due to development length alone.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Hynad said:

A budget no higher than Xenoblade's with developers from Monolith Soft is required to reach its scope. Different people developing the game will have different costs involved and different capabilities. Some teams might be able to reduce the costs involved. But we are talking about the real world scenario, not some idealistic one. 

Yes, Final Fantasy games utilize pre-rendering and being on the PS4 they have more freedom and obligation to improve on things like realistic animation. Again, that is another reason why more assets will imply a higher budget than if one utilized solely in-engine assets on a less demanding platform. 

Of course I don't personally know, but a game that was conceptualized in 2005 and had its first trailer in 2006 and will only release around ten years later must have a pretty sizeable cost of development. Of course said resources were used for other games, so we can't accurately consider the benefits of the costs, but I think it is safe to say that even without the difference in quality of the assets and the benefits to other games for having its resources, FFXV would cost many times that of XBC:X due to development length alone.

You're just playing on words now. My point still stands. It doesn't cost that much to develop a game like Xenoblade. 

And, by the way, It's been confirmed that FFXV doesn't rely on CGI as much as older games to tell the story. The producer explained that because the visual quality from in-game graphics were now as high as they are, there was no need for them to make CGI as much as in the older games.

As for the cost of a game 10 years in production, yeah, it's a given that any FF game now cost much more than any Nintendo games. No matter the genre for various reasons. But S-E isn't the only developer making JRPGs. I don't think Tales of games cost more than a Xenoblade game to make. Yet they could very well decide to make there games perfectly on scale. When it comes to content, they're not that far behind already depending on the title. 

But that's beside the point. I think it's short-sighted to believe a game like Xenoblade is difficult to emulate. For all we know, an other developer will make a similar game that will be of better in the near future. 

Hynad said:
Materia-Blade said:

being surpassed has nothing to do to standing the test of time. games like zelda a link to the past, chrono trigger, tales of symphonia, xenoblade chronicles, mario galaxy... were amazing when they release, are amazing now and will keep that way forever. THAT is standing the test of time.

It's way too early to say Xenoblade Chronicle will stand the test of time.

For one, the controls were clunky, even when it came out. They're not going to get better over time. On the contrary. The other games you mentioned use sprites that can always be appreciated because they're basically drawings/cartoons with controls that are just as good now as they were back then. Xenoblade's graphics are already outdated, and controls, as I said, are just as clunky as they were back then.

You're way too quick to include Xenoblade. But that's expected from you.

Xenoblade's controls are not clunky. of course controls don't get better but they don't get worse either, the game was already made, so it stays the same.

I don't know what the sprites from some of the games I mentioned have to do with anything. Those games are great because of their everything.

Materia-Blade said:
Hynad said:

It's way too early to say Xenoblade Chronicle will stand the test of time.

For one, the controls were clunky, even when it came out. They're not going to get better over time. On the contrary. The other games you mentioned use sprites that can always be appreciated because they're basically drawings/cartoons with controls that are just as good now as they were back then. Xenoblade's graphics are already outdated, and controls, as I said, are just as clunky as they were back then.

You're way too quick to include Xenoblade. But that's expected from you.

Xenoblade's controls are not clunky. of course controls don't get better but they don't get worse either, the game was already made, so it stays the same.

I don't know what the sprites from some of the games I mentioned have to do with anything. Those games are great because of their everything.

I see no point discussing this further with you so let's agree to disagree.

Hynad said:
sc94597 said:

1. My main argument was that they weren't succesful (in making open-worlds a standard) despite their attempts. Xenoblade was successful because the focus of the game was on this feature and it did it well. Reception is important in determining whether or not something is revised. 

2. I contextualized the statement "highly polished" with "as" and "in that area." I never meant to imply that the game isn't (as) highly polished in general, or even highly polished in that area. Just not as much as Xenoblade. 

3. Dragon Quest VIII is one of my favorite JRPG's. And I agree 100%. It perfected and modernized the classic JRPG formula. Xenoblade on the other-hand brought relevant a new type of JRPG. It was thought that the JRPG genre could not have vast, open, and monoscaled worlds and Xenoblade showed that it was false, hence reinventing the genre. Maybe not in every way, but in that way in particular, yes. I'm not saying it is the standard of JRPGs, but I would say that because of its critical success JRPGs have been moving toward more open-world gameplay formats with horizontal questing, and hence recreating a standard. 

Basically, the only thing you mean to say is that you love Xenoblade a whole lot. 

You love the settings and world of Xenoblade and that makes you say things that just aren't true. Illustrated by the fact that you admit DQVIII did what XB did years prior to it. You talk about the scale of the world as if it's a way to reinvent something. It is not. You're telling me that all a developer needs to do to reinvent something is make everything to scale and add miles of maps to their world? Sorry, but that's shallow a view at best. And seems to be only a way to elevate Xenoblade beyond its actual merits.  

And seriously, who ever thought that "the JRPG genre could not have vast, open and monoscaled worlds"? Never once heard that claim made by any reasonable person.

He already gave a detailed explanation as to why xenoblade was amazing. yet, you keep ignoring it and saying he is talking out of bias.

Materia-Blade said:
Hynad said:

Basically, the only thing you mean to say is that you love Xenoblade a whole lot. 

You love the settings and world of Xenoblade and that makes you say things that just aren't true. Illustrated by the fact that you admit DQVIII did what XB did years prior to it. You talk about the scale of the world as if it's a way to reinvent something. It is not. You're telling me that all a developer needs to do to reinvent something is make everything to scale and add miles of maps to their world? Sorry, but that's shallow a view at best. And seems to be only a way to elevate Xenoblade beyond its actual merits.  

And seriously, who ever thought that "the JRPG genre could not have vast, open and monoscaled worlds"? Never once heard that claim made by any reasonable person.

He already gave a detailed explanation as to why xenoblade was amazing. yet, you keep ignoring it and saying he is talking out of bias.

We are not discussing whether or not the game is amazing. That has never been in question.

Your reply is an exact demonstration of why I think there is no point discussing anything with you.