By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles X Needs to be on another system

Xenoblade Chronicles X on PC

Yes 101 13.76%

No 632 86.10%

Total:733
vivster said:
MDMAlliance said:
vivster said:

A lot of things should be on other systems. Everyone voting no pretty much outed himself as a fanboy who hates other people having more games. Shouldn't we be all FOR things that benefit the consumer?

@Bold: Not really.  It doesn't quite make sense to ask a question like that seriously.  This is basically just like asking for every game to be on one system and having the perfect system.  It wont happen, it will never happen, but it's what would be best for the consumer.  People who voted no are also likely thinking that it's unrealistic and also a pointlessly offensive question to ask.

Actually it asks for every game to be on every system. But I get your point.

Some people may vote no because it's unrealistic but the general consensus in the thread is "But it would hurt Wii U sales". Which shouldn't really be a main concern for the consumer. It's not them who are missing out when a game becomes multiplat.

Why would a developer of hardware release their software on another developer's hardware?  Why doesn't Wendy's also sell Big Mac's while we're at it?  If every console had the same games, no it would not benefit the consumer.  What benefits the consumer is variety and the right to choose.  This is what spurs on competition and therefore innovation.

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
bigtakilla said:

So there are no great retro games, just naustalgic fans that believe games like Xenoblade, Mario Galaxy, Suikoden II, Final Fantasy VI and VII, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Tales Of Symphonia, ect are great in terms of quality on the platform they were created for?

I have never disagreed more with anyone on this forum ever. 

This could be.... Wait for it... The GREATEST DISAGREEMENT IN GAME FORUM HISTORY!

read carefully my friend, there is no greatest Game ever that stand in the test of Time, there will be another game that will surpassed every great game in the future that's the rule of thumb of live. The past will just another past and it will be surpassed by a new one.

being surpassed has nothing to do to standing the test of time. games like zelda a link to the past, chrono trigger, tales of symphonia, xenoblade chronicles, mario galaxy... were amazing when they release, are amazing now and will keep that way forever. THAT is standing the test of time.

Materia-Blade said:
HollyGamer said:
bigtakilla said:

So there are no great retro games, just naustalgic fans that believe games like Xenoblade, Mario Galaxy, Suikoden II, Final Fantasy VI and VII, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Tales Of Symphonia, ect are great in terms of quality on the platform they were created for?

I have never disagreed more with anyone on this forum ever. 

This could be.... Wait for it... The GREATEST DISAGREEMENT IN GAME FORUM HISTORY!

read carefully my friend, there is no greatest Game ever that stand in the test of Time, there will be another game that will surpassed every great game in the future that's the rule of thumb of live. The past will just another past and it will be surpassed by a new one.

being surpassed has nothing to do to standing the test of time. games like zelda a link to the past, chrono trigger, tales of symphonia, xenoblade chronicles, mario galaxy... were amazing when they release, are amazing now and will keep that way forever. THAT is standing the test of time.

It's way too early to say Xenoblade Chronicle will stand the test of time.

For one, the controls were clunky, even when it came out. They're not going to get better over time. On the contrary. The other games you mentioned use sprites that can always be appreciated because they're basically drawings/cartoons with controls that are just as good now as they were back then. Xenoblade's graphics are already outdated, and controls, as I said, are just as clunky as they were back then.

You're way too quick to include Xenoblade. But that's expected from you.

I think it will be ported to the NX down the line sometime (portable or home), as in a few years down the line. Probably a few of the higher profile Wii U games will be.

Hynad said:
sc94597 said:

Honestly, a mix of what I wrote was opinion and assertions. You can ignore the opinions quite fine, as they are just that, but what about the assertions? Do you know of a 7th generation JRPG which properly incorporated the element of exploration with either a semi or fully open-world? Was it not a standard belief that JRPG's are inherently (to the core of their genre) linear with respect to WRPG's? The bolded seems to me that you have nothing to say nor contribute, but you want to leave with an unsubstantiated characterization of a person with an opposing view (see: Ad Hominem) in order to look like you do have something to contribute, but you are too good to provide it. For that matter, which person is better characterized by hautiness and "thick glasses"? 

Remember, you were the one who posted things like this, "You obviously don't play many JRPGs." I persistently remained polite despite that. 

Ni No Kuni, White Knight Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia/Xillia, Star Ocean 4, and the list goes on.

You choose to take one aspect that Xenoblade did well, and forget to see what other games also did. Even if on a smaller scale, or in a different manner. Xenoblade appears to be open world, but its world is empty and serves mostly as a tranversal method, just like any other RPG, even if it doesn't load as often as them. 

Tales of Xillia had a decent semi-open world similar to FFXII's, but if you thought Xenoblade's world was only a "transversal method" or "is empty" I don't see how you would think Xillia's was anything more. 

Ni No Kuni and Vesperia had traditional world map systems, which while fun to explore, do not have the same scale of what I was talking about. I won't comment on WKC or SO4 because I didn't finish them for reasons other than this particular topic, but I'll take your word that they did eventually do exploration well. 

Anyway, I wasn't only talking about the scale of the world, but the level of detail and how one interacts with it in whichever way they choose by purely exploring, by doing side-quests, or as you seem to have done - just going from point to point. The main purpose of Xenoblade's world, besides travel, was exploration. There were secret areas to find which awarded you with great views of places that you had already visited. For example, I can see the Sword Valley from Colony 6, and Colony 6 from the Sword Valley, with a level of detail so great that I can point out particular locations and buildings. When certain events transform the Sword Valley, it is reflected in my view from Colony 6. The world changed when that event happened. I always see the Mechonis looming accross the vast ocean, and vice-verse with the Bionis. Within the context of a large area I can find secret paths to connect places I have visited before. Furthermore, certain quests made me go back to areas I felt I explored extensively and gave me rewards (such as new skills for a main character) for visiting a new ruin with a backstory (built by Giants) and researching it. Just something small like being rewarded experience for exploration creates an atmosphere that isn't only about travel, as you say. Furthermore, each populated area had an affinity system which allowed you to become more invested in the activities of the NPC's. You also saw connections between named NPC's in these areas, whom you would never have thought to be connected, and they made sense as you did side-quests. No other JRPG has done this without major deficits and flaws, and it shows in that the JRPG's that did attempt it (FFXII most notably) weren't as highly polished and appraised for in that area. Xenoblade didn't revise what people thought of JRPG's because it tried these things, it revised the perception of the genre because it did these things, with every ounce of the game contributing to the development of a natural-like world. The only other games that have provided similar experiences are CRPGs and Sandbox games. But that is what makes Xenoblade so unique. It retained many of the JRPG elements while providing these open-world elements. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
I think it will be ported to the NX down the line sometime (portable or home), as in a few years down the line. Probably a few of the higher profile Wii U games will be.

It'll likely just be playable through BC. No need to port anything.

sc94597 said:

Tales of Xillia had a decent semi-open world similar to FFXII's, but if you thought Xenoblade's world was only a "transversal method" or "is empty" I don't see how you would think Xillia's was anything more. 

Ni No Kuni and Vesperia had traditional world map systems, which while fun to explore, do not have the same scale of what I was talking about. I won't comment on WKC or SO4 because I didn't finish them for reasons other than this particular topic, but I'll take your word that they did eventually do exploration well. 

Anyway, I wasn't only talking about the scale of the world, but the level of detail and how one interacts with it in whichever way they choose by purely exploring, by doing side-quests, or as you seem to have done - just going from point to point. The main purpose of Xenoblade's world, besides travel, was exploration. There were secret areas to find which awarded you with great views of places that you had already visited. For example, I can see the Sword Valley from Colony 6, and Colony 6 from the Sword Valley, with a level of detail so great that I can point out particular locations and buildings. When certain events transform the Sword Valley, it is reflected in my view from Colony 6. The world changed when that event happened. I always see the Mechonis looming accross the vast ocean, and vice-verse with the Bionis. Within the context of a large area I can find secret paths to connect places I have visited before. Furthermore, certain quests made me go back to areas I felt I explored extensively and gave me rewards (such as new skills for a main character) for visiting a new ruin with a backstory (built by Giants) and researching it. Just something small like being rewarded experience for exploration creates an atmosphere that isn't only about travel, as you say. Furthermore, each populated area had an affinity system which allowed you to become more invested in the activities of the NPC's. You also saw connections between named NPC's in these areas, whom you would never have thought to be connected, and they made sense as you did side-quests. No other JRPG has done this without major deficits and flaws, and it shows in that the JRPG's that did attempt it (FFXII most notably) weren't as highly polished and appraised for in that area. Xenoblade didn't revise what people thought of JRPG's because it tried these things, it revised the perception of the genre because it did these things, with every ounce of the game contributing to the development of a natural-like world. The only other games that have provided similar experiences are CRPGs and Sandbox games. But that is what makes Xenoblade so unique. It retained many of the JRPG elements while providing these open-world elements. 

Yeah, and my point is that it isn't the only 7th gen RPG that did that. It didn't reinvent anything. It took a lot of what was done right, and did a melting pot of it all. It felt great playing a RPG that brought back elements from what made the 4th and 5th gen so great, but it isn't the only game who did that. Ni No Kuni, for example, brought back many of those elements. It is true that a lot of the JRPG series were seemingly toned down during the seventh generation. The focus wasn't on that genre nearly as much as it was during prior generations. For many reason. Xenoblade brought a lot of these beloved elements together to make a compelling ensemble, but it didn't reinvent a genre. Many other games did just what you're describing. That they were praised as much as Xenoblade or not is an other story.

As for what you say about FF XII, I don't think you know the meaning of he word you're using. Because that game was highly polished. It ran prefectly, controlled perfectly, didn't have loading issues, no glitches or bugs to write about. and its visuals were top-notch for its time and in fact still look good to this day. And the game is also quite extensive in its exploration aspects. 

One game you should take a look at is Dragon Quest VIII. That game did everything right when it comes to taking 4th or 5th gen JRPGs beloved JRPG tropes and modernizing them for the modern age. And it did that while making the map on the same scale as the rest. Just like WKC and XB. It's a 6th gen game, so it may not fit with your narrative. But it still illustrates the fact that Xenoblade didn't reinvent anything. That doesn't make it a bad game, and that's certainly not what I'm saying either. 

SpokenTruth said:
Hynad said:

It's way too early to say Xenoblade Chronicle will stand the test of time.

For one, the controls were clunky, even when it came out. They're not going to get better over time. On the contrary. The other games you mentioned use sprites that can always be appreciated because they're basically drawings/cartoons with controls that are just as good now as they were back then. Xenoblade's graphics are already outdated, and controls, as I said, are just as clunky as they were back then.

Did you just say sprite based games don't age graphically?

Do you have any notion about what pixel art is?

I said they don't age as badly as 3D graphics.  

Hynad said:

1. Yeah, and my point is that it isn't the only 7th gen RPG that did that. It didn't reinvent anything. It took a lot of what was done right, and did a melting pot of it all. It felt great playing a RPG that brought back elements from what made the 4th and 5th gen so great, but it isn't the only game who did that. Ni No Kuni, for example, brought back many of those elements. It is true that a lot of the JRPG series were seemingly toned down during the seventh generation. The focus wasn't on that genre nearly as much as it was during prior generations. For many reason. Xenoblade brought a lot of these beloved elements together to make a compelling ensemble, but it didn't reinvent a genre. Many other games did just what you're describing. That they were praised as much as Xenoblade or not is an other story.

2. As for what you say about FF XII, I don't think you know the meaning of he word you're using. Because that game was highly polished. It ran prefectly, controlled perfectly, didn't have loading issues, no glitches or bugs to write about. and its visuals were top-notch for its time and in fact still look good to this day. And the game is also quite extensive in its exploration aspects. 

3. One game you should take a look at is Dragon Quest VIII. That game did everything right when it comes to taking 4th or 5th gen JRPGs beloved JRPG tropes and modernizing them for the modern age. It's a 6th gen game, so it may not fit with your narrative. But it still illustrates the fact that Xenoblade didn't reinvent anything. That doesn't make it a bad game, and that's certainly not what I'm saying either. 

1. My main argument was that they weren't succesful (in making open-worlds a standard) despite their attempts. Xenoblade was successful because the focus of the game was on this feature and it did it well. Reception is important in determining whether or not something is revised. 

2. I contextualized the statement "highly polished" with "as" and "in that area." I never meant to imply that the game isn't (as) highly polished in general, or even highly polished in that area. Just not as much as Xenoblade. 

3. Dragon Quest VIII is one of my favorite JRPG's. And I agree 100%. It perfected and modernized the classic JRPG formula. Xenoblade on the other-hand brought relevant a new type of JRPG. It was thought that the JRPG genre could not have vast, open, and monoscaled worlds and Xenoblade showed that it was false, hence reinventing the genre. Maybe not in every way, but in that way in particular, yes. I'm not saying it is the standard of JRPGs, but I would say that because of its critical success JRPGs have been moving toward more open-world gameplay formats with horizontal questing, and hence recreating a standard. 

Hynad said:

Do you have any notion about what pixel art is?

I said they don't age as badly as 3D graphics.  

I'd say that's a false statement altogether as games like Wind Waker and Okami look as fine as when they were released.