By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles X Needs to be on another system

Xenoblade Chronicles X on PC

Yes 101 13.76%

No 632 86.10%

Total:733
Wyrdness said:
Hynad said:

I say the exceptions don't make the rules.

You mention Wind Waker. Let me direct you to Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time.

Except in this case the exceptions do make the rule because games like Okami and WW prove it's purely art direction not whether a game is 2D or 3D that determines it, highlighting TP makes no difference in what you're claiming as it's plain false. The are games like JSR, Red Steel 2, XIII, DQVIII etc... that all show this, even games like Metroid Prime still look good today so what you claim is wrong no matter what game you put forward as one exception debunks the whole argument.

So it's because OoT and MM aged so well that they deemed it proper to remake the graphics instead of just porting the games as is and just adjust the controls for handheld. I see.

What you're saying still doesn't apply to the majority of old 3D games. And you know it. So, why do you argue? It's true that most 3D games don't age well. You bring up the examples that haven't aged as bad as the others, and they're almost all cell-shaded games. How many of those are there? Compared to the ones who did age badly?

And come back in 10 years when your most recent examples will have aged more.

Around the Network
Hynad said:

What it does, is takes many things that worked well and were greatly appreciated in other games of its genre and bring them all together in an extremely well crafted package.

I think the difference here is how you and I define "reinvented." I don't define it as, "doing something entirely new."  That is reserved for the word "invented" without the prefix "re." And that would mean Xenoblade would have created a new sub-genre/genre. I use the term "reinvented" as "to take something done priorly and change it so much that it seems new." (1) Xenoblade did that with its open-world gameplay. The games you mentioned went about their semi-open worlds differently from how Xenoblade had. Their worlds were segmented and seamed. Xenoblade's was much less segmented and seamed, or at least apparently it wasn't. If somebody says, I like Xenoblade what is another game like it? I can't honestly tell them that there is a JRPG like it. It is unique in its vastness and detail. No JRPG had as an entensive and detailed 1:1 (mono scale) world as Xenoblade's. Hence, it did something new within the JRPG genre in that its world was a seamless package. This has now become a standard for JRPG's. 

And before you mention my extreme bias for Xenoblade again, I just want to say that Xenoblade isn't even in my top five JRPG's (although it might be in my top ten.) 

(1) Meriam-Webster definitions of reinvent.

1:  to make as if for the first time something already invented <reinvent the wheel>

:  to remake or redo completely
:  to bring into use again
I think definitions 1 & 2 apply here. What are your opinions on this? 

sc94597 said:
Hynad said:

What it does, is takes many things that worked well and were greatly appreciated in other games of its genre and bring them all together in an extremely well crafted package.

I think the difference here is how you and I define "reinvented." I don't define it as, "doing something entirely new."  That is reserved for the word "invented" without the prefix "re." And that would mean Xenoblade would have created a new sub-genre/genre. I use the term "reinvented" as "to take something done priorly and change it so much that it seems new." (1) Xenoblade did that with its open-world gameplay. The games you mentioned went about their semi-open worlds differently from how Xenoblade had. Their worlds were segmented and seamed. Xenoblade's was much less segmented and seamed, or at least apparently it wasn't. If somebody says, I like Xenoblade what is another game like it? I can't honestly tell them that there is a JRPG like it. It is unique in its vastness and detail. No JRPG had as an entensive and detailed 1:1 (mono scale) world as Xenoblade's. Hence, it did something new within the JRPG genre in that its world was a seamless package. This has now become a standard for JRPG's. 

And before you mention my extreme bias for Xenoblade again, I just want to say that Xenoblade isn't even in my top five JRPG's (although it might be in my top ten.) 

(1) Meriam-Webster definitions of reinvent.

1:  to make as if for the first time something already invented <reinvent the wheel>

:  to remake or redo completely
:  to bring into use again
I think definitions 1 & 2 apply here. What are your opinions on this? 

I already told you I don't think Xenoblade has reinvented the wheel. I don't think it remade or redid completely anything either. And I don't think it brought anything into use again. So that's why I can't say it reinveted the genre.

I think I have already explained my stance on this well enough. But this better convey what you meant. I still don't see the game the way you do. I have played a lot of JRPGs. I never stopped playing that genre since the original DQ back in the NES era when I was around 8 years old. That may be the reason why I see things differently from you. I don't know. I enjoyed the scale of the world, and felt it handled the exploration aspect in the way I have always loved in JRPG. Something I always miss when it's not as present as it was when I first played that genre. But that feeling, I got it when I played Ni No Kuni, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, White Knight Chronicles... I felt those games did the JRPG genre justice, and brought back what I liked so much about them when I was younger. None of them reinvented the wheel. They all try to make the JRPG genre what it used to be, but in a modern fashion. 

In an ideal world, Nintendo games would be on PC. All games would be on PC but we can't all have what we want.

Hynad said:

I think I have already explained my stance on this well enough. But this better convey what you meant. I still don't see the game the way you do. I have played a lot of JRPGs. I never stopped playing that genre since the original DQ back in the NES era when I was around 8 years old. That may be the reason why I see things differently from you. I don't know. I enjoyed the scale of the world, and felt it handle the exploration aspect in the way I have always loved in JRPG. Something I always miss when it's not as present as it was when I first played that genre. But that feeling, I got it when I played Ni No Kuni, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, White Knight Chronicles... I all felt those games did teh JRPG genre justice, and brought back what I liked so much about them when I was younger. 

My first JRPG's were on the NES, SNES, and original Game Boy so I don't see how that can be a huge difference in how we see things. But I'll just sum it up to a difference in priorities. Maybe we are looking at different things within these games and have concluded differently due to that. I still have to say that there is no experience similar to Xenoblade's in the JRPG genre, and when I played the game for the first time I never got a sense of nostalgia, other than a few thematic similarities to Xenogears/Saga I suppose. It felt like something new. Out of the games you umentioned, WKC is one that gave me that feeling as well, but I didn't finish the game because I couldn't really get into it past about ten hours or so. In my opinion, the closest thing to Xenoblade, in all aspects, was Final Fantasy XII (which I originally hated, but has now grown on me.) Even then though, they are very different games and only seem to have surface level similarities (semi open-world, real-time combat reminiscent of MMORPG's, side-quest system, meeting different races in their homelands, etc.) 

Despite all of that, Wyrdness' original point still stands. It would be difficult to recreate something that will do everything like Xenoblade and it will take a large budget and a good developer to emulate it. So HollyGamer shouldn't be so sure about the following. 

" Tthis game is doing well, i bet another studios will imitate it, there is a lot big publisher especially SE or From Software who will gladly make this kind of game if big company like Microsoft or SONY finance the games development,"

Around the Network
sc94597 said:

Despite all of that, Wyrdness' original point still stands. It would be difficult to recreate something that will do everything like Xenoblade and it will take a large budget and a good developer to emulate it. So HollyGamer shouldn't be so sure about the following. 

" Tthis game is doing well, i bet another studios will imitate it, there is a lot big publisher especially SE or From Software who will gladly make this kind of game if big company like Microsoft or SONY finance the games development,"

What do you think the budget for Xenoblade Chronicle X is? What about the original?

I don't think the Xenoblade games cost as much as you guys think. Nintendo has always been very conscious about the money they spend and the budget they allocate. If games like FF XV are being made, which so far look just as promising as Xenoblade Chronicle X, I don't see why you guys would make such claims.

There is about a 90% chance this game is going to be remastered for the NX so it will sell well enough in the end.

This reminds me of the old Bayonetta 2 discussion.......

Anyway, as much as I understand the feeling, it won´t do any good for the company funding and producing it.

If it sells around 01 million copies Nintendo will be glad.

Hynad said:
sc94597 said:

What do you think the budget for Xenoblade Chronicle X is? What about the original?

I don't think the Xenoblade games cost as much as you guys think. Nintendo has always been very conscious about the money they spend and the budget they allocate. If games like FF XV are being made, which so far look just as promising as Xenoblade Chronicle X, I don't see why you guys would make such claims.

That explains it. Other companies are not. Just look how SE handled FFVersus/XV. Sure they'll make it back many times with high sales and sequels, but it would be very interesting to see a comparison of the profits Nintendo will make from Xenoblade Chronicles X and the profits SE will make from FFXV if we were able to consider total costs. I'm sure FFXV will be more profitable, but not so excessively so like it could be. It says something when a mainline Final Fantasy budget is required to match Xenoblade Chronicles X in scope. As for actual game experience, FFXV and XBC:X are pretty unique, despite the insistence of many people to compare them. 

AnthonyW86 said:
There is about a 90% chance this game is going to be remastered for the NX so it will sell well enough in the end.

I'm not so sure. Nintendo consoles are usually BC, so maybe there will be no need to remaster the game.