By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Age Inquisition sent back to gamefly: BORING

It was my GOTY for 2014. I loved it.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Around the Network

I actually really liked it. Definitely one of the best game from last year.

The game is pretty damn good. I spent 20 something hours just on the first level, hinderlands (or hinterlands?) You need to give it more than 6 hours, for love's sake. The game is huge, in 6 hours, you would have done so little and seen so few. The game follows heavily from dragon age 2 so it is worth playing (although dragon 2 is the worst of the three)

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Augen said:
I adore Origins, beat it five times and it is among my favorite games of all time.

I really, really wanted to like Inquisition, but after 15-20 hours I actually said aloud, "I have yet to feel anything. I have not once had fun, been engaged in the world and characters. I have no motivation."

I had to ask, why?

Thinking it over two things that struck me.

1. Open worlds are only good if they are interesting to explore.
2. Maker an area larger does not make a game better if it just artificially extends length

I spent so much freaking time walking from A to B doing junk quests. I simply didn't care what was going on, I didn't care about a single character. This is insane, I read the Dragon Age books to learn about Loghain as a youth and more about Orlais occupation of Ferelden. In Origins I clicked a place, was there, did a dungeon, interacted with a story decision, it was beautifully LINEAR and concise in design keeping me engaged.

At this point I am tempted to watch someone play because I just don't get it. How did this win a single game of the year? What about this engages you? Am I playing this game wrong because half the time I don't know what I'm doing and the other half I don't care about what I'm doing.

Been a long time since I wanted to really like a game and struggled so much. Right now I give Dragon Age: Inquisition a 3/10 simply because it is technically sound. I am willing to revisit such a low score if I ever "get" the appeal of this entry.

I finished it but only after struggling through a game that was designed to be a huge timesink. The expansive open world felt empty; I disliked the artificial way they tried to extend the gamelength. I had a discussion with you before about how poorly I thought their design choices were, but told you that it was ultimately a good game. I'm sorry you didn't like it after giving it a second chance but it's understandble. Even the story was diluted by how much fluff you need to do compared to Origins, and thus didn't feel that engaging.

.- -... -.-. -..

Hiku said:
b00moscone said:
I heard that the first 20 hours can be a grind, but after that the game can pick up

Well another issue for me is that the game is too easy now. I went with the Knight Enchanter subclass because it had the moveset I like the best, but now I can beat anything in the game with my eyes closed it seems. =/

I haven't played it myself, but I got told that by someone who did.

But personally I think it looks like a decent game.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

Around the Network

Why make a game that doesn't engage until after 20 hours of gameplay though? That's a fairly odd design choice for an entertainment product, reminds me of Final Fantasy XIII and its 30 hour tutorial.

I thought it was fantastic. A bit slow to start, but once it opens up, it gets much better. I can see how its not for everybody though. Currently working through the last bit of it myself. Trying to complete all the Inner Circle quests first.

Best Dragon Age I've played, sorry to hear it is not the same for you.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

It doesn't get very good until you're 10 hours in. If you dont like this, I dont recommend the Witcher to you, nor Shadow of Mordor. Shadow of Mordor drags on a lot. Dragon Age Inquisition is my GOTY for 2014 though. 

I wanted to like it. I really did. I actually liked DA2. I know right? Someone hang me, I must be a witch.

About ten minutes after the beginning, though, and I was overwhelmed with so many boring things to do. Which marker do I touch first? The boring one, or the boring one? So many choices...

I seriously don't know how people power through this game. You can throw difficulty curves at me all day, but the moment you how your gameplay behind a bunch of fetch walls I lose interest. That's not gameplay. That's Errand Simulator.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames