By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why has the 3DS so much quality titles?

Tagged games:

Mnementh said:
Teeqoz said:

I'd say it's very arguable that the 3DS has a better library than the DS.... Very arguable.

I'm not saying it has the better library, but currently it has one third of the installbase and has still some life in it - but the high ranked games are a lot more than one third (obviously, 90+ ranks are actually the same).

Because installbase doesn't translate directly into the amount of support a platform is getting. You could say the same about the Wii U vs the Wii. Even though the Wii U has one tenth of the installbase, I'm sure it has more than one tenth of the amount of 90+ titles the Wii has.

Around the Network

If you only look at 90+ games it certainly looks like that, but that mostly tells us the quality of Nintendo's releases. The NDS has >100 games worth playing.

View on YouTube

Teeqoz said:
Mnementh said:
Teeqoz said:

I'd say it's very arguable that the 3DS has a better library than the DS.... Very arguable.

I'm not saying it has the better library, but currently it has one third of the installbase and has still some life in it - but the high ranked games are a lot more than one third (obviously, 90+ ranks are actually the same).

Because installbase doesn't translate directly into the amount of support a platform is getting. You could say the same about the Wii U vs the Wii. Even though the Wii U has one tenth of the installbase, I'm sure it has more than one tenth of the amount of 90+ titles the Wii has.

But the 3DS has the SAME number on 90+ titles and there are still great games to come. That is amazing!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Overall I've been enjoying the 3DS more than I did the DS, but both have a lot of unique things going for them.

Mnementh said:
Teeqoz said:
Mnementh said:
Teeqoz said:

But the 3DS has the SAME number on 90+ titles and there are still great games to come. That is amazing!

The only future game I can see getting over 90 is Fire Emblem: If. Most consoles have the same number of 90+ titles because they are equally rare regardless of whether or not you are selling to 100 million people or 30 million people. 

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

Nearly twice as many (38vs22 if I counted right), but the DS has thrice the installbase and was longer on the market. If all is said and done, the 3DS will probably end up around half the installbase of the DS, but the number of 85+-games will be a lot nearer to the number the DS has. So being sold THAT much less, but still has such an awesome library? Why that?

The DS also has 15x the installbase than the Vita, but less than double 85+ games (38vs24 if I counted right, Shovel Knight will push it to 38vs25 this week). If all is said and done, the number of 85+ games on Vita will be a lot nearer to the number the DS has. So being sold THAT much less, but still has such an awesome library? Why that? ;)

Well Flipnote Studio doesn't count and Phantom Hourglass is an overrated piece of turd, so it's 7-5.

Conina said:
Mnementh said:

Nearly twice as many (38vs22 if I counted right), but the DS has thrice the installbase and was longer on the market. If all is said and done, the 3DS will probably end up around half the installbase of the DS, but the number of 85+-games will be a lot nearer to the number the DS has. So being sold THAT much less, but still has such an awesome library? Why that?

The DS also has 15x the installbase than the Vita, but less than double 85+ games (38vs24 if I counted right, Shovel Knight will push it to 38vs25 this week). If all is said and done, the number of 85+ games on Vita will be a lot nearer to the number the DS has. So being sold THAT much less, but still has such an awesome library? Why that? ;)

If you call late ports and the likes an awesome library. It's relatively easy to port PS3 games to the Vita, so that explains it partly.

Also loads of indie games that are imo overrated. Vita games also don't get a lot of reviews, so the scores are often higher than they should be.

sc94597 said:
If you only look at 90+ games it certainly looks like that, but that mostly tells us the quality of Nintendo's releases. The NDS has >100 games worth playing.

View on YouTube

Great video, I recommend everyone to watch it. Two things really came to my mind watching this: That Cing is bancrupt and nobody will be able to replace them and watching Deadly Silence I thought about what a spectacular entry for the Resident Evil franchise the title Revelations is.

That said: Don't you think you could make a similar video for the 3DS? Actually that already happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yck-1z0WqM4

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Teeqoz said:

I don't. This handheld generation has some quality games, but both consoles are worse than DS and PSP.

The gap in development effort is pretty clearly felt.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.