By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

For some reason there seems to be a lot of optimisim about the future of VR. And I think it needs a long overdue oversaturation of pessimism.

I literally cannot see how some people on this forum think it will change the game (gross overexaggeration). My view is that its only going to incite a susbet of the hardcore market(oversimplification). At best and at most, it could only shift half of the units of Move/Kinect and in the case of the morpheus, a fraction of the consoles. Sure it will make a lot of cool things possible, but getting back to earth, its not gonna make any discernible change in the industry.

I mean even on the offchance that oculus/morpheus could get "Whales", people who spend a dispproportinate amount of money on content to somehow make it profitable, there is no way that much content is going to be produced, if we are talking about content that would be worth anything on a VR headset.

So please, give me your opinions on why VR is the future, or, the correct answer, why VR isn't.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

It's not the future because it's a fad, a gimmick that will die out as quick as the Wii once people play with it for a month and then get bored. Though it may have more use in things like education...

fory77 said:

It's not the future because it's a fad, a gimmick that will die out as quick as the Wii. Though it may have more use in things like education...

My thoughts exactly.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Lol There doesn't have to be pessimism. Theres already enough negativity as it is. Let the glass half full people have fun for a change.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Consider how many games these days are first person, and how much better these games would be without futzing about with a right stick or mouse to look around. Unlike motion controls and pretty much every other gimmick controller put out over the years, VR headsets have a natural place already built into the current gaming landscape.

....now, all of that being said, VR has some serious obstacles to overcome that are so abundantly obvious they don't even need to be mentioned. The fact multiple companies are pushing it improves the chances 3rd party will bite, at least.

Around the Network

I believe that VR will be a thing of the future.. you can see and interact with things without it actually being there.

However, I doubt VR will be popular anytime soon and don't think that things like the Morpheus will do well.

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I don't care about sales, VR is awesome and I want to have it! Tried Morpheus at gamescom last year and I was really really impressed how well it already works. Can't wait to give the new version a try this year and I will buy the final product on day 1. I don't even care about the price. :)

It could be the next big thing, but it must not. Who knows? But is it a reason not to be optimistic just because it probably won't sell 1 billion units or something? I mean not everything has to sell like an iPhone to be a success. Sure, the content won't be too much in the beginning, but it shouldn't be too hard to give every game at least rudimentary support for the system.

So yeah, I'll stay optimistic, thank you. :)

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

VR will be lucky to reach the status of a fad. I mean look at 3D. It's awesome when it's done right. 3D games on consoles are mostly awesome and 3D on the 3DS is awesome. Yet it hasn't quite caught on as the hopeful hoped.
Now you've got VR. Bulky, awkward, expensive, potentially dangerous, requires specialized game development, makes you look like a fool and can only really be enjoyed alone. There will be a small number of hobbyists who will be nuts about it (there already is), and the few outside of that circle who purchase a VR system will regret it like they did the OUYA.

I don't think its going to take off either or really last all too long. Imo, it has to be less than $200 and it has to be a less of a hassle cause it looks soo weird when a person wears it

I think it be like a longer version of 3d

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Its the next thing they can do to make more money off you. All companies really have is resolution to keep making you buy more TV's, new content etc. Every so often. They gotta just keep on trying to find the next big thing. I honestly don't see anything amazing about it. I see a VR unit as a TV monitor + AR cards stuck to your head. I want a real holodeck.