By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

VR will be important someday, but not someday soon. I dont count VR headsets as VR. As of now it doesnt exist. And wont for many more years to follow. What people call VR now is laughably pathetic.

Around the Network

Who cares if it will have a massive impact or not^^
As soon as it launches I will have a few giggles out of it and I will probably get enough sexy content from independent devs for years. No matter if it sells tens of millions or just a few thousand.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

StarOcean said:
VR will be important someday, but not someday soon. I dont count VR headsets as VR. As of now it doesnt exist. And wont for many more years to follow. What people call VR now is laughably pathetic.

It's all we will get in our lifetimes. I don't think our generation will last long enough to see a real holodeck.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

I like things that severely change the basics of how games are perceived. I loved 3D, but I have a feeling VR may go the same route. It is simply another way to enjoy the basics of gaming outside of the norm. I don't think anything will be gamechanging about it unless masses like it and designers embrace its potential. One good thing about it is, hopefully it will not require customization or setup, as I feel that is one of the reasons people hated 3D. If you don't calibrate your tv for it (especially regarding gaming) it is literally terrible, and I think that turned a lot of people off. i.e. ghosting, no 3d effects seen, motion sickness etc. Those things happen because a TV is not properly calibrated i.e. by a professional or with the Disney WoW Blu Ray or something along those lines.  If you just switch between the factory presets on a TV or try and match it to your naked eye, it does not work properly at all.  That applies to budget TV's and even moreso on high end TV's.

fory77 said:

It's not the future because it's a fad, a gimmick that will die out as quick as the Wii once people play with it for a month and then get bored. Though it may have more use in things like education...

For one, VR isn't a gimmick that's just good for one generation or 2. VR is the evolution of gaming and will be further advanced throughout the generations. Eventually, we'll be able to to wear a helmet and just lay in bed to play games in virtual world.

Around the Network

Hmm, list the goods and bads of VR?

Well, for good, I heard it did a lot of good for people with disabilities. I don`t remember the exact stories, but I heard it gave joy to people who`ve had health issues before, so that`s good. Education may find a good use for it. There are plenty of good uses that could come out from it.

As for games, I don`t really see the point. it seems more of a hassle to deal with. I don`t want to play games wearing goggles or glasses and be turning my head around a lot. I play games to relax; not to strain myself even more. I`m fine with just a TV and controller in hand. I`m feeling VR isn`t going to have a raging success, but may be a neat idea that may stay or go away.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I am more worried on how much money will be use for the marketing, and how much sales will gain, because this is the type of product that u need to try by your self to convinced people, and it's a new product on main stream consumer, so worth of mouth, youtube video or gaming journalist will not help that much. It's like it need some event on every city in the world to let people try the VR. and that is very costly.

AR is the future, because I can have a TV screen anywhere. I can multitask like a boss and see if someone broke into my house to rape me.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

I think people are optimistic because it has been a concept for decades now and could have some great implementations outside of gaming, essentially it is the next logical step in gaming, akin to next step of transport being flying cars.

Honestly I will find a niche market as the launch games/uses will be underwhelming. And devs wont support it simply due to it lacking mass sales (something modern AAA gaming industry has ruined).

Overall VR will be interesting to see but will in no way match people's expectations in quality.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Aeolus451 said:

fory77 said:

It's not the future because it's a fad, a gimmick that will die out as quick as the Wii once people play with it for a month and then get bored. Though it may have more use in things like education...

For one, VR isn't a gimmick that's just good for one generation or 2. VR is the evolution of gaming and will be further advanced throughout the generations. Eventually, we'll be able to to wear a helmet and just lay in bed to play games in virtual world.

I was talking about VR in its current/very near future state and not its far future - which i guess was the point :/ 

I think VR will just come and go this/next generation and once (if) technology has advanced enough for what you said to be possible, it will come back into mainstream gaming.