By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Fire Emblem If" has 2 Versions Coming in Japan! "Black Kingdom" + "White Kingdom" *.*

Hiku said:
sundin13 said:
We know literally nothing about how all of this will work outside of Japan and very little about what this all means inside Japan and people are already getting in a huff.

Seems a little ridiculous to me...

We got the prices for all versions, both DLC and cartridge. What info is missing according to you?

How much content is in each version. If each version is comparable to a full fire-emblem game, then the higher price-point (1.25x higher as opposed to 2x higher) is a good deal. Remember, Japanese 3ds games are about 20% more expensive than U.S 3ds games.  So if it is $77 dollars in Japan for all three stories we should expect $65 for a U.S release of all three stories. Considering FE: Awakening had DLC that added up to like $50 this is the better alternative. 

Around the Network
Hiku said:
sundin13 said:
We know literally nothing about how all of this will work outside of Japan and very little about what this all means inside Japan and people are already getting in a huff.

You consider this knowing "very little" about how it will work in Japan?

"In Japan, the game will be released as two titles, Fire Emblem If: White Kingdom and Fire Emblem If: Black Kingdom, for 4,700 yen each. If you buy one verison, you’ll be able to purchase the other for 1,852 yen as downloadable content game. A large part three is also planned for release at the same price somewhere down the line. A limited edition version of the game including all three scenarios will be available for 9,250 yen."

That's basically everything. Not very little.
We got the prices for all versions, both DLC and cartridge. What info is missing according to you?

Pretty much every thing about the game is missing. All we really have is pricing info.

Hiku said:
sundin13 said:

You consider this knowing "very little" about how it will work in Japan?

"In Japan, the game will be released as two titles, Fire Emblem If: White Kingdom and Fire Emblem If: Black Kingdom, for 4,700 yen each. If you buy one verison, you’ll be able to purchase the other for 1,852 yen as downloadable content game. A large part three is also planned for release at the same price somewhere down the line. A limited edition version of the game including all three scenarios will be available for 9,250 yen."

That's basically everything. Not very little.

While I'm not saying this will be the case, we don't really know how big of a game this really is.  Maybe the game is much bigger in scale than FE games usually are, and they doubled it by making two elaborate stories to it.  It's entirely possible that they ended up spending more on this game than the average 3DS game.  

I know there are plenty of counter arguments, but we really don't know all that much in regards to the games contents itself.  Personally, I do think in the end that it wont be all too justifiable but we don't know that quite yet.

Hiku said:
sc94597 said:
Hiku said:
sundin13 said:

How much content is in each version. If each version is comparable to a full fire-emblem game, then the higher price-point (1.25x higher as opposed to 2x higher) is a good deal. Remember, Japanese 3ds games are about 20% more expensive than U.S 3ds games.  So if it is $77 dollars in Japan for all three stories we should expect $65 for a U.S release of all three stories. Considering FE: Awakening had DLC that added up to like $50 this is the better alternative. 

At this point I'm not concerned about just us. I have friends in Japan, I've lived there, and even the people I haven't met, who are Fire Emblem fans like us, I still feel empathy for them. As this might as well have happened to us, and still can, for all we know.
Though yes, exactly what each episode pertains will be important. But from the sound of it, the second version is basically another side of the same story. If they want to make a separate game from scratch, then I'm all for that. but separating the main story like this with these prices is not a practice I want to support, and I'm not going to be unrealistically optimistic, after seeing the expensive DLC episiodes in Fire Emblem: Awakening, this does seem like an evolution of that.

Tbf, I had to pay €50 for FE: A.
3DS games are more expensive than Wii U games here.

If this is true for the West. My hype for Fire Emblem IF just died.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
sc94597 said:
Hiku said:
sundin13 said:

At this point I'm not concerned about just us. I have friends in Japan, I've lived there, and even the people I haven't met, who are Fire Emblem fans like us, I still feel empathy for them. As this might as well have happened to us, and still can, for all we know.
Though yes, exactly what each episode pertains will be important. But from the sound of it, the second version is basically another side of the same story. If they want to make a separate game from scratch, then I'm all for that. but separating the main story like this with these prices is not a practice I want to support, and I'm not going to be unrealistically optimistic, after seeing the expensive DLC episiodes in Fire Emblem: Awakening, this does seem like an evolution of that.

Even if the content is only at the level of awakenings dlc,  this is a better deal: $90 vs. $75. From the sounds of it the content is much more worth the extra price than awakenings DLC + main game. 

Hiku said:
Samus Aran said:

Tbf, I had to pay €50 for FE: A.
3DS games are more expensive than Wii U games here.

I got it from Amazon.uk for £35. I believe they ship to Belgium?

I bought it from Bol.com

35 ponds is 48 euros btw.

Hiku said:

We at least know that the second episode is described as "joining the other faction of the war". I think that's a good indication of what we can expect.
You want to be unrealistically hopefull that it's going to be a lot more worth it? Maybe, but I very much doubt it now. Take a look at the DLC episodes inside Fire Emblem: Awakening and their prices, and tell me if you still feel the same? If anything, it was a bad omen.
I'd rather voice my concerns now, rather than after it's too late.

That could mean a lot of things and it is far from a good indication of anything.

Also, I have looked over the Fire Emblem Awakening DLC, and while I find it to be overpriced, I think it is far from egregious. The stand alone game offers a wealth of content and most of the DLC was essentially scenarios based around cheating your way through the game, or being able to use characters out of universe for fanservice reasons.

I think you are the one who is being unreasonably pessimistic. Pricing in Japan tends to be extremely variable, with it not being uncommon for games to have base prices over 8000 yen. This pricing scheme for all is far from outlandish and it sounds like an absolutely massive amount of content. It really isn't anything worth freaking out about for those in Japan and it is even less worth freaking out about for those outside of Japan.

This is not an issue to me. I hate amiibo, they're probably the worst example of DLC I can think of. I hated Awakening's DLC, too. It was overpriced and not remotely compelling.

How I deal with these instances of DLC is by not buying them. I miss out on a small amount of content.

This is so much different. This is not the half-assed Awakening DLC, nor is it the bite-sized bits of content rationed off for use as amiibo support. This is two separate games with different gameplay content and different storylines featuring the same characters. Someone mentioned the Zelda Oracle games, and I think that's an apt comparison. I might even compare it to Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, if the two had released simultaneously.

The difference between those two examples and this new Fire Emblem is that Fire Emblem gives you the option to buy the second game -- an entire new game's worth of content -- for something like 40% its base price as DLC. We still know very little about the games, obviously they have to be worth their $40 value, preferably by having the same amount of content as Awakening sans DLC. But if they're that big, and distinct from each other, I would have no problem paying $15 for an entire additional game with an actual story, as opposed to the $50 worth of garbage DLC they sold for Awakening.

For those complaining about having to buy a new SD card, I highly doubt the second game as DLC will take up as much space as a full game. It will use the physical game you bought for character models, music, etc. There may be some different characters and music, but I'm sure the DLC will be smaller than downloading the whole game separately.

the_dengle said:

For those complaining about having to buy a new SD card, I highly doubt the second game as DLC will take up as much space as a full game. It will use the physical game you bought for character models, music, etc. There may be some different characters and music, but I'm sure the DLC will be smaller than downloading the whole game separately.

Even if it did take up as much space as a full game, not only are SD cards extremely cheap, full 3DS games are rarely over 2GB, and the default SD card will be 4GB at this point.  

edit: Also, FE: A was barely over 1GB