By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: Nintendo Wants To "Suprise Gamers" With NX

Ka-pi96 said:
Soundwave said:

Yeah but in those days Nintendo *was* the Playstation of their time. They didn't have to compete with the Playstation or XBox brands, if they did who knows, maybe they would've lost those generations too. 

It's pretty different when Sega is your main competetion. The industry in the 80s/90s was still very tilted towards the industry being mostly for kids too which benefitted Nintendo's stable of cartoon mascot IPs. 

I think Nintendo just gave up with this approach. Wouldn't be surprised if Yamauchi's dying commands to Iwata were expressly NOT to do the same thing MS and Sony do. Iwata has said this many, many (many) times in interviews, maybe it's time people actually let it sink in. Nintendo DOES NOT want to make traditional home consoles. They've said it like 50 different times in 50 different ways, and are saying it again about this NX platform, yet people still cling to that fantasy. 

Like seriously the level of cognitive dissonance is getting almost funny

Iwata: "Normal consoles are boring. Expect something different from us"

Nintendo Fan On Internet: "So this is going to be a PS4 killer right?"

Didn't he also say they wouldn't do mobile games many times?

So obviously they're making a PS5 killer, right?

Smartphone games is likely the price they paid to be able to do what they (Miyamoto and co) want to make with NX. 

If this was going to be a PS4/PS5 killer why not just say it? There was at least a plausible reason for downplaying smartphone games, they were trying to protect the 3DS as much as they could. 

There's no reason to continue the rhetoric of the Wii/Wii U era (new ways to play, traditional consoles are boring, Nintendo can't compete, etc. etc.) now, unless of course their intention is to stay on that path. 

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Soundwave said:

So obviously they're making a PS5 killer, right?

Smartphone games is likely the price they paid to be able to do what they (Miyamoto and co) want to make with NX. 

If this was going to be a PS4/PS5 killer why not just say it? There was at least a plausible reason for downplaying smartphone games, they were trying to protect the 3DS as much as they could. 

There's no reason to continue the rhetoric of the Wii/Wii U era (new ways to play, traditional consoles are boring, Nintendo can't compete, etc. etc.) now, unless of course their intention is to stay on that path. 

WTF does PS4/PS5 killer even mean?

It basically means a PS4/PS5 level system with oureach for third party support. 

A system that Nintendo will likely never, ever make. 

Soundwave said:

I think Nintendo just gave up with this approach. Wouldn't be surprised if Yamauchi's dying commands to Iwata were expressly NOT to do the same thing MS and Sony do. Iwata has said this many, many (many) times in interviews, maybe it's time people actually let it sink in. Nintendo DOES NOT want to make traditional home consoles. They've said it like 50 different times in 50 different ways, and are saying it again about this NX platform, yet people still cling to that fantasy. 

Iwata does give the impression that he wants to distance Nintendo as far away from Sony and Microsoft as possible. Quotes include:

-"Since former President Yamauchi passed away, I have been considering what he taught us in the end, and his words that the worst thing we can do in entertainment is to follow what others are doing spoke directly to my heart."

-"Following and imitating others is the kind of reasoning that Nintendo tries to avoid the most"

-"............employing the same methodology as the other manufacturers would only lead to the most simplistic competitive approaches, such as price wars or money-giving that would never end. We would like to take a unique approach of our own."

**Quotes taken from talk about Nintendo's relationship with 3rd party developers. Circa March 2014**

I'll add my own thoughts to this in an edit later, perhaps

#1 Amb-ass-ador

ReimTime said:
Soundwave said:

Iwata does give the impression that he wants to distance Nintendo as far away from Sony and Microsoft as possible. Quotes include:

-"Since former President Yamauchi passed away, I have been considering what he taught us in the end, and his words that the worst thing we can do in entertainment is to follow what others are doing spoke directly to my heart."

-"Following and imitating others is the kind of reasoning that Nintendo tries to avoid the most"

-"............employing the same methodology as the other manufacturers would only lead to the most simplistic competitive approaches, such as price wars or money-giving that would never end. We would like to take a unique approach of our own."

**Quotes taken from talk about Nintendo's relationship with 3rd party developers. Circa March 2014**

Add this one to the pile:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/iwata-nintendo-is-not-good-at-competing/0122541

"If you do the same thing as others, it will wear you out. Nintendo is not good at competing so we always have to challenge [the status quo] by making something new, rather than competing in an existing market." - Iwata

This one is from just a couple of days ago (so it doesn't get any more recent than this):

http://time.com/3748920/nintendo-mobile-games/

"Indeed, the late Mr. Yamauchi, former president of Nintendo, often told us that in the world of entertainment we have to do things differently than others. That philosophy has been passed down to us. For us to be able to do something unique that is different from others, being able to design the hardware in order to create unique software experiences gives us the best option." - Iwata

I mean I get it, Nintendo fans on the internet want a certain type of console with a glorious return to third party content + Nintendo games, but at some point this is like watching a guy who gets repeatedly told by a girl he's interested in that she's a lesbian ... but still thinks he has a shot with her. Nintendo fans are interested in a mano-e-mano competetion with MS and Sony ... but Nintendo isn't. 

Soundwave said:
ReimTime said:

Add this one to the pile:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/iwata-nintendo-is-not-good-at-competing/0122541

If you do the same thing as others, it will wear you out. Nintendo is not good at competing so we always have to challenge [the status quo] by making something new, rather than competing in an existing market.

Interesting. So it looks like their reasons for having a blue ocean strategy come from their trouble competing (direct quote from Iwata; don't hate me anyone) and their elitist (I don't want so strong a word as elitist but I can't think of a synonym) attitude.

And before anyone bashes me for saying that, I am perfectly fine with Nintendo's mentality and strategy

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Around the Network

were hearing about it because of how stupid the gaming community is really. Even when he expresses that they arent leaving the console market, the internet simply doesnt read that part and read their recent news about Dena as them sticking to Mobile only

so now Iwata has to keep reiterating over and over that they're working on a new console because of the people jumping the gun or going for clickbait

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

TBH i think 3rd party support is dead no matter what they do.

I just want a regular console though that covers all the genres to fill the 3rd party void.

Miyamoto said they were no longer going after the casual; mobile games might take care of their fleeing kids market. So, only the core remain to be taken care of.
I doubt that with this new Nintendo approach to gaming (mobile games, account system on several devices) Nintendo won't also go after the core gamers.

They are spreading out, not the other way around.
They know that kids aren't enough and with the casual gone they need something that appeals to the market that can save them.

DélioPT said:
Miyamoto said they were no longer going after the casual; mobile games might take care of their fleeing kids market. So, only the core remain to be taken care of.
I doubt that with this new Nintendo approach to gaming (mobile games, account system on several devices) Nintendo won't also go after the core gamers.

They are spreading out, not the other way around.
They know that kids aren't enough and with the casual gone they need something that appeals to the market that can save them.

Mobile will take care of casuals. It will help with kids, but Nintendo always is heavily invested in kids so no doubt NX will be designed heavily with the needs of kids in mind too. 

Smartphone buys Nintendo cover to make NX more unconventional is what I think (rather than the other way around). Now Nintendo's designers can simply come up with wacky ideas and because NX doesn't neccessarily have to carry the company, it's not a huge issue if it doesn't do maybe that great. So long as its profitable I think Nintendo will be relatively OK with it. Of course they'd like it to be super successful (just like every company making any product would) but it's not a "this has to be a success or we're finished as a company" type scenario anymore. 

No voice chat in online games...

SURPRISE MOTHERTRUCKERS!!! Next Next Gen confirmed!