By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: Nintendo Wants To "Suprise Gamers" With NX

melbye said:
Nintendo should learn by now that gamers don't want new things, they want the same old with better graphics

That's why Wii & DS sold over 250 million?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

So many boring people around here.

zorg1000 said:
melbye said:
Nintendo should learn by now that gamers don't want new things, they want the same old with better graphics

Yeah but this gen showed it's not so easy to repeat that. 

If Apple/Android didn't exist and casuals were still completely an untapped audience that Sony/MS were paying no attention to I'd agree. 

But that's clearly not where the market is at anymore. 

melbye said:

Gamers do want new things, but by taking constant risk you're risking them. They want the new and the old, so they can get their mix of traditional with the innovative. Use the standard console as a base and use peripherals just like the SNES and NES did. This is why the Playstation always wins when they don't screw up.

melbye said:

To be fair this is true of most entertainment formats. 

When I buy a new video format, I just want it to play movies in a better way. I don't need it to redefine movies for me. 

It's up to the content (the games themselves) to do that. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

Yeah but this gen showed it's not so easy to repeat that. 

If Apple/Android didn't exist and casuals were still completely an untapped audience that Sony/MS were paying no attention to I'd agree. 

But that's clearly not where the market is at anymore. 

Whats that got to do with anything? The person I responded to said people don't want new things.

Last gen, Wii/DS were the big new things, this gen it's smartphones/tablets.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
melbye said:

Gamers do want new things, but by taking constant risk you're risking them. They want the new and the old, so they can get their mix of traditional with the innovative. Use the standard console as a base and use peripherals just like the SNES and NES did. This is why the Playstation always wins when they don't screw up.

But the issue is the Playstation already does all of this. And people like/trust the brand. They even have the "next big innovation fad" in VR already cooking for the PS4. 

No one is dying for a Nintendo version except the same group of Nintendo fans that will buy any type of console Nintendo releases, even if it the main controller was a balloon, they'd buy it to play Mario/Zelda. 

Ka-pi96 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
melbye said:

Gamers do want new things, but by taking constant risk you're risking them. Use the standard console as a base and use peripherals just like the SNES and NES did. 

Agree. Worked well for Microsoft where they had a good console and the Kinect as an optional add on. They both did well. Try and force something on people that they don't want and it doesn't go so well (ie. Xbox One with mandatory Kinect).

Its why Nintendo won their first two gens, why Sony almost always wins and why Microsoft posed a threat.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Ka-pi96 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
melbye said:

Gamers do want new things, but by taking constant risk you're risking them. Use the standard console as a base and use peripherals just like the SNES and NES did. 

Agree. Worked well for Microsoft where they had a good console and the Kinect as an optional add on. They both did well. Try and force something on people that they don't want and it doesn't go so well (ie. Xbox One with mandatory Kinect).

Its why Nintendo won their first two gens, why Sony almost always wins and why Microsoft posed a threat.

Yeah but in those days Nintendo *was* the Playstation of their time. They didn't have to compete with the Playstation or XBox brands, if they did who knows, maybe they would've lost those generations too. 

It's pretty different when Sega is your main competetion. The industry in the 80s/90s was still very tilted towards the industry being mostly for kids too which benefitted Nintendo's stable of cartoon mascot IPs. 

I think Nintendo just gave up with this approach. Wouldn't be surprised if Yamauchi's dying commands to Iwata were expressly NOT to do the same thing MS and Sony do. Iwata has said this many, many (many) times in interviews, maybe it's time people actually let it sink in. Nintendo DOES NOT want to make traditional home consoles. They've said it like 50 different times in 50 different ways, and are saying it again about this NX platform, yet people still cling to that fantasy. 

Like seriously the level of cognitive dissonance is getting almost funny

Iwata: "Normal consoles are boring. Expect something different from us"

Nintendo Fan On Internet: "So this is going to be a PS4 killer right?"

melbye said:

Well they did release a few remakes as well, but I should like to not talk about remakes in this thread. They're in every other thread.

As to the OP: I sure hope I'm surprised! Give me something completely out in right field and I will love it.

#1 Amb-ass-ador