By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: Nintendo Wants To "Suprise Gamers" With NX

Soundwave said:
DélioPT said:
Miyamoto said they were no longer going after the casual; mobile games might take care of their fleeing kids market. So, only the core remain to be taken care of.
I doubt that with this new Nintendo approach to gaming (mobile games, account system on several devices) Nintendo won't also go after the core gamers.

They are spreading out, not the other way around.
They know that kids aren't enough and with the casual gone they need something that appeals to the market that can save them.

Mobile will take care of casuals. It will help with kids, but Nintendo always is heavily invested in kids so no doubt NX will be designed heavily with the needs of kids in mind too. 

Smartphone buys Nintendo cover to make NX more unconventional is what I think (rather than the other way around). Now Nintendo's designers can simply come up with wacky ideas and because NX doesn't neccessarily have to carry the company, it's not a huge issue if it doesn't do maybe that great. So long as its profitable I think Nintendo will be relatively OK with it. Of course they'd like it to be super successful (just like every company making any product would) but it's not a "this has to be a success or we're finished as a company" type scenario anymore. 

What if simply NX is Android cross-compatible? Nintendo will make some mobile games. On the NX console you'll get Nintendo mobile games + Nintendo "premium" games + optimized versions of 3rd party mobile games. (example. EA will never make a decent FIFA game for 3DS, but they make already an android version for tablets. If the console is able to run android code EA will only need to "add buttons" to sell the same game at a premium price).

This would make sense even with their new cross-platform account system.

Around the Network

Anyway to make a comparison Nintendo is like the 7-Up of gaming, it needs to have its unique flavour. When 7-Up tried to compete with Coke and Pepsi with their cola (the Like) they failed miserably and their value as company got sliced in half. That's because there's no reason why a loyal customer of Coke or Pepsi should ever switch to any other cola.

Ka-pi96 said:
Sounds bad.

Don't want any surprises, don't want any gimmicks. Just give us a standard console with all the features people expect from consoles these days, great 3rd party support and plenty of good 1st party games. That's all you need to do Nintendo, please don't screw it up.

like the game cube? and since when do people expect good 1st party games on a normal console? if so, why are rthey buying xbones?

the wiiu is the best console in ages---

Ka-pi96 said:
generic-user-1 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Sounds bad.

Don't want any surprises, don't want any gimmicks. Just give us a standard console with all the features people expect from consoles these days, great 3rd party support and plenty of good 1st party games. That's all you need to do Nintendo, please don't screw it up.

like the game cube? and since when do people expect good 1st party games on a normal console? if so, why are rthey buying xbones?

the wiiu is the best console in ages---

Believe it or not some people actually like Halo. Shocker, I know.

The majority of people clearly disagree with you...

a lot of people think that console fps controlls are fine, till they play on pc...   i hope m$ realy makes crossplattform mp happening in windows 10...  cant wait to harvest all the noobtears...

Soundwave said:
DélioPT said:
Miyamoto said they were no longer going after the casual; mobile games might take care of their fleeing kids market. So, only the core remain to be taken care of.
I doubt that with this new Nintendo approach to gaming (mobile games, account system on several devices) Nintendo won't also go after the core gamers.

They are spreading out, not the other way around.
They know that kids aren't enough and with the casual gone they need something that appeals to the market that can save them.

Mobile will take care of casuals. It will help with kids, but Nintendo always is heavily invested in kids so no doubt NX will be designed heavily with the needs of kids in mind too. 

Smartphone buys Nintendo cover to make NX more unconventional is what I think (rather than the other way around). Now Nintendo's designers can simply come up with wacky ideas and because NX doesn't neccessarily have to carry the company, it's not a huge issue if it doesn't do maybe that great. So long as its profitable I think Nintendo will be relatively OK with it. Of course they'd like it to be super successful (just like every company making any product would) but it's not a "this has to be a success or we're finished as a company" type scenario anymore. 

Nintendo's games are basically what Nintendo needs to attract kids. I don't think kids care that much about what kind of input they have in front of them to play those games.

Smartphones MIGHT give Nintendo room to breather. Might being the keyword.
What if Nintendo's mobile plans take more time to really make Nintendo profitable in a satisfatory way? I think it's too soon to claim victory.
In that sense, NX cannot be just an experiment. Assuming it's a home console, of course.

Even if Mobile is a success, if the next home console solution is as faulty as Wii U, what will likely happen is that it will give shareholders more reason to call for the end of the traditional home console and focus more on mobile or the handheld.
The next home console still has to be a succes for shareholders to not feel that mobile is the way to go in Nintendo's future.

And i think Nintendo knows this.
Even setting aside the recent events, they know that their home console segment is at risk due to the dominance of Sony and MS, kids going to mobile devices and the lack of interest by the casual crowd.
If they can't, at least, provide the basics to please the core gamer, then they really are in trouble.

And with all this expanding the Nintendo brand i really doubt they won't have the core gamer covered.
That's why - and taking inspiration from the recent events - i think they will go after the core with both HW and games, but it might also mean they will do something else too.

Personally, i wouldn't mind if they would turn their traditional "only plays the usual games console" into a "it plays your usual games, but it also plays your mobile games if you have this new Nintendo account and it also allows to use your Steam account to play your Steam games (like a different type of Steam console)".
Console games, mobile games, PC games in one single "dedicated gaming device"! ;)

Around the Network

I predict disappointment. Hopefully they prove me otherwise, they need to get the thing out by the end of 2016.

I'm now filled with determination.

RolStoppable said:
Everything is fine as long as Nintendo doesn't say things like third parties (as in the major publishers) and hardcore gamers.

Not much to worry about there. Nintendo will never have good third party support again. 

Conegamer said:

For a console which we aren't supposed to know much about...we're definitely hearing a lot about it. 

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata touched on the company’s new gaming system, NX, during an interview with Japanese publication Nikkei. He suggested that the company’s plan is to surprise gamers, as simply expanding upon existing hardware makes things “dull.”

Iwata’s full words:

Yeah I'm not sure what to think about this. It's definitely sounding less and less like a "proper console" but obviously a long way to go yet. Hope the surprise is a positive one!

Source

SNES, N64 and Gamecube=dull confirmed.

When the Revolution, later named Wii was shown to the public it was at a time before we knew firmware updates could drastically change a console. In this day and age gaming has evolved so much that there's not much Nintemdo can do that will surprise us. Even if they do come up with something, their competitors will just adapt it and build upon it while also moving forward with their own technological advancements.

DélioPT said:
Soundwave said:

In that sense, NX cannot be just an experiment. Assuming it's a home console, of course.

Even if Mobile is a success, if the next home console solution is as faulty as Wii U, what will likely happen is that it will give shareholders more reason to call for the end of the traditional home console and focus more on mobile or the handheld.
The next home console still has to be a succes for shareholders to not feel that mobile is the way to go in Nintendo's future.

My personal suspicion is NX is basically this:

1.) A fusion platform built off MOBILE parts (see also: they were looking for a lead graphic engineer/designer with emphasis on experience in low power/mobile chipsets ... hint hint, clue clue). I see a NX system on chip that can run Wii U graphics, maybe slightly better at 540p or 720p resolution. This same chip will also be the heart of the NX console, only because mobile chips are so small and consume so little electricity, Nintendo will be able to use 2-3 of the same chip in the console variant -- hence something 2x-3x more powerful than a Wii U. Decent upgrade, but not mind blowing. 

This is also pretty much the same formula as the original Wii which just re-used the GameCube chip ... re-using the mobile chip for both platforms will save Nintendo a ton of money and lessen's the risk considerable if the platform fails. 

2.) Miyamoto and company have a couple of ideas for gimmick controllers like this 3D glasses patent Nintendo made last year:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/07/04/nintendo-patents-device-to-enable-3d-viewing-on-2d-displays

Throw in a new type of break apart controller (break apart pad?) and maybe that is basically their NX concept. This is kind of a cheap way of doing a low rent VR experience without the anti-social (putting a mask over your head) way of doing it too. 

3.) Don't expect great third party support. I'd say something on par with the 3DS, which I think Nintendo is fine with. Since in a fusion setting all the "flagship" Nintendo IP like Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Zelda, Pokemon RPG, Animal Crossing, etc. will now be able to be scaled up and down they won't need a lot of third party games to fill in their release list. 

4.) While it will be similar to the Wii in some respects, it won't really be aimed at casuals. Nintendo basically conceeded they can't compete with $1/F2P casual games by surrending to smartphone development, NX will be aimed more towards kids and the family crowd. Nintendo will go down with the Titanic before they let go of those two audiences. It will be more about quirky/fun new ways to play with a shared Nintendo library. It will also be Miyamoto's swan song, the last console he is primarily involved in before he retires.