By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the XBO version of FFXV a mistake?

oniyide said:
im pretty sure that whatever costs of porting is minimal and being covered by MS anyway, so no SE is getting their money anyway. Sony doesnt care because they know the xbox version isnt gonna come close to PS4. Its only a mistake if the ONE version somehow bombs and even then it only really effects MS.

/thread

Also bonus points for not making up numbers

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
celador said:
So these games sell far less on Xbox because of that fanbase having better taste? Good grief

They sell less on Xbox because that console's fanbase has less interest in Japanese games. There is a reason MS focuses so heavily on only a few genres. They would never, for instance, fund their own JRPG like Sony would. Trying to switch the narrative to Xbox fans having more discerning tastes is laughable. Plenty of high rated Japanese games have come and gone with a much better attach rate on PS, and that will always be the case.

I guess you never heard of Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undisovery and MagnaCarta 2 those where only available on the 360

If you add in Tales of Vesperia in the US thats 5... and.... yeah thats pretty much it.  For the entire 8 year life span.

oniyide said:
Chris Hu said:

Who knows the generation is still a long way from being over so nobody knows.  Plus Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonato also first appeared on the 360.

I think we can use past info to predict what will happen. Yes the gen is just starting but lets be real, 360 had the best opportunity to take some JRPG and it didnt happen, do you truly believe that Xone will have better luck despite doing much worse against PS4 than 360 against PS3? Ill say again we are just gonna have to accept that some genres or series are just not going to do as well on some systems as others. Those games appeared first but it really didnt help them. Vesperia should have done better for how long its been out and Eternal Sonato actually sold better on PS3 despite being a year late further proving my point

Well overall there will be a lot less console JRPG's this generation then there where last generation so its not like the PS4 will have a ton more.  Also Vesperia actually did very good on the 360 its still one of the best selling Tales games its also been available digital for a long time so most of its recent sales been in that format.

exdeath said:
Chris Hu said:

I guess you never heard of Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undisovery and MagnaCarta 2 those where only available on the 360

If you add in Tales of Vesperia in the US thats 5... and.... yeah thats pretty much it.  For the entire 8 year life span.

Which is a lot better then the original XBox which had zero JRPG's and still better then the lineup of JRPG's that was/is available on the Dreamcast and Wii.

Tbh, i would like to see more developers focus on only one platform when first developing a game. The focus would be on making the best game posdible, and in a later date just port it. I am not sad at all that tomb raider 2 went XO exclusive. I think it will be better because of it, and if its later ported all the better.

Square and all developers would do well to adopt that strategy. It would also make consoles alot more flavored.

Around the Network
exdeath said:
Chris Hu said:

impressive isnt it? ;) and its a little longer than 8 years seeing it was released in 2005.

On a serious note this just adds weight to my "MS stopping JRPG development/publishing early on" argument

Nem said:
Tbh, i would like to see more developers focus on only one platform when first developing a game. The focus would be on making the best game posdible, and in a later date just port it. I am not sad at all that tomb raider 2 went XO exclusive. I think it will be better because of it, and if its later ported all the better.

Square and all developers would do well to adopt that strategy. It would also make consoles alot more flavored.

i hear what you are saying but i dont think TR is a good example. Thats just a moneyhat pretty sure the dev already started working on both versions and are just gonna sit on one until time is up.

Chris Hu said:
oniyide said:
Chris Hu said:

Who knows the generation is still a long way from being over so nobody knows.  Plus Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonato also first appeared on the 360.

I think we can use past info to predict what will happen. Yes the gen is just starting but lets be real, 360 had the best opportunity to take some JRPG and it didnt happen, do you truly believe that Xone will have better luck despite doing much worse against PS4 than 360 against PS3? Ill say again we are just gonna have to accept that some genres or series are just not going to do as well on some systems as others. Those games appeared first but it really didnt help them. Vesperia should have done better for how long its been out and Eternal Sonato actually sold better on PS3 despite being a year late further proving my point

Well overall there will be a lot less console JRPG's this generation then there where last generation so its not like the PS4 will have a ton more.  Also Vesperia actually did very good on the 360 its still one of the best selling Tales games its also been available digital for a long time so most of its recent sales been in that format.

Of course but thats has been the case for a while. We havent seen a large flux of JRPGs since PS1 that was years ago. These games arent cheap to make which is why as game development got more expensive they were one of the first casualties. Which leads me to think that MS is even LESS likely to want to fund such a game. The PS4 is still early give it time, I think it will get a ton more just like the PS3 got a ton more over 360 after a time. hell its already getting stuff like Persona 5. All those smaller RPGs like your Atelier series will hit the system eventually. im already hearing whispers about Ni No Kuni 2

@Chris Hu:
"Wich is a lot better then the original XBox wich has zero JRPG's and still better then the lineup of JRPG's that was/is available on the Dreamcast and Wii"

Are you sure about that man? So about the Dreamcast is problably true, but the Wii have more JRPG's than the Xbox 360, just do a little research and you will be surprised.

grannamir said:
@Chris Hu:
"Wich is a lot better then the original XBox wich has zero JRPG's and still better then the lineup of JRPG's that was/is available on the Dreamcast and Wii"

Are you sure about that man? So about the Dreamcast is problably true, but the Wii have more JRPG's than the Xbox 360, just do a little research and you will be surprised.

Not more that made it to the West the 360 also had all the FFXIII games and The Last Remnant.  I really don't consider the Zelda games to be JRPG's so the Wii really only had The Last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the the New World and Tales of Graces in the west and both of the Tales games received superior ports on the PS3 that are also available in the west.