By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The mobile games industry gives their opinions about Nintendo entering the mobile space

RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

You are posting interpretations, he never said there can't be a Zelda adventure game on the iOS. If you have that quote, maybe take your own advice and post it. 

As for which Nintendo IP will be used, we do not intend to make any exceptions. Potentially, any Nintendo IP could be used in our smart device software. - Satoru Iwata

So we know at minimum no Nintendo IP are off limits. He never actually spoke at all in his presser event about crippling or limiting smartphone apps to be mini-games or anything like that. 

That's just something you are assuming, if anything he reference several times that the games on smartphones must be of high quality. 

Oh, so you said the same thing twice in the same sentence. Redundant, but okay. Any IP could be used.

You imply that minigames can't be of high quality. Why? But regardless of your answer, that belief of yours would be the reason why you think that Nintendo will make big games for smartphones.

They'll make both smaller games and larger scale games as time goes on.

In time I think their mobile revenue/profit will outpace their console revenue. Not saying I like that, but it's likely to happen. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

They'll make both smaller games and larger scale games as time goes on.

In time I think their handheld revenue will outpace their console revenue. Not saying I like that, but it's likely to happen. 

That's not an answer to my question. Plus you had a Freudian slip.

Nintendo can make any type of game reasonably high quality. They made a goddamn good platformer that used bongos, so if you're asking do I think Nintendo can make some good quality mini-game apps ... take that as your answer.

But really not all smartphone games are mini-games to begin with, many of the more popular ones are games that people end up dropping hours into. Clash of Clans is not a mini-game title. Neither is EA's Sim City. Or Simpsons.  

Zelda honestly could use iOS/Android's exposure pretty badly ... a lot of kids don't know what the f*ck Zelda is, having a game that introduces them to the basics of the IP in a friendly/F2P setting could do wonders for the franchise. 

"Synergy" isn't really created if kids just know Zelda off some totally unrelated puzzle game anyway. If they get to the NX Zelda and it's a completely different game, they're more likely to be "what the hell is this?" than jazzed about it. If I got hooked on Angry Birds on iOS I wouldn't be like "yeah now, I totally want to buy an Angry Birds 80-hour RPG on XBox". 

I don't understand why some users are salty over nintendo's move to mobile. It's a wise move for that company in my opinion. I do agree with Shadow1980's rant about smartphones. I have a friend that's whipped by his cell phone. If it beeps, he'll stop whatever he's doing to look and respond to it. He's horrible at multitasking and loves to drive/text. He interrupts in person conversations to mess with his phone. I just wish people would gain some cell phone etiquette.

Aeolus451 said:
I don't understand why some users are salty over nintendo's move to mobile. It's a wise move for that company in my opinion. I do agree with Shadow1980's rant about smartphones. I have a friend that's whipped by his cell phone. If it beeps, he'll stop whatever he's doing to look and respond to it. He's horrible at multitasking and loves to drive/text. He interrupts in person conversations to mess with his phone. I just wish people would gain some cell phone etiquette.

The smartphone is the most important electronic in most people's lives. I read something like 70% of people will turn around and go home if they've left their smartphone at phone by accident and they've only driven X amount of distance. 

It's the most revolutionary consumer product since the internet connected home computer really (with television, radio, and telephone coming before that). 

Soundwave said:
Aeolus451 said:

The smartphone is the most important electronic in most people's lives. I read something like 70% of people will turn around and go home if they've left their smartphone at phone by accident and they've only driven X amount of distance. 

It's the most revolutionary consumer product since the internet connected home computer really (with television, radio, and telephone coming before that). 

It's called cell phone addiction. I don't know how many times, i'll go into restaurants, hookah bars, hangouts and the majority of the 18 to 30 year olds are glued to a damn cell. 

Cell phones are important in today's world but again, people need more cell phone etiquette. 

Around the Network

I have literally not heard of a single one of those companies.

I do think using a cell phone game to acquire in game currency, experience, or interact with others is a great idea. Imagine if they made Mario games harder, but allowed you to earn extra lives in a mini game on your smart phone in the same theme as the main console game. You could spend your day at work, school, amassing the extra men you'll need for a hardcore gaming session at night.

RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

There's nothing in that quote that says anything about what the nature of smartphone games can be. He did say all Nintendo IP are on the table and nothing is off limits. 

If anything to me there's a greater chance of synergy here by introducing smartphone gamers and kids to the basic mechanics of many core Nintendo IP and then trying to entice them to buy the bigger versions of those games on the NX. 

A Phantom Hourglass type game on iOS/Android doesn't neccessarily kill future portable Zeldas anymore than A Link Between Worlds on 3DS renders Zelda on Wii U completely moot. Even if all the games have the same fundamental Zelda formula, they are very different experiences. 

Iwata clearly said that it's of utmost priority that Nintendo IP doesn't get devalued. That means quite a few things are off limits.

If you want to continue to reference Iwata, post his quotes instead of voicing your interpretations of what he might have said.

Rol, I have come to truly and utterly respect everything you say. Now can you go back to being kim, pretty please?

But seriously, I agree with what you;ve been saying.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Shadow1980 said:
MohammadBadir said:
RealGamingExpert said:

"Imagine playing Zelda on a smartphone? Now that’s a dream come true.”

Kill me.

We'll go together...

http://media.giphy.com/media/2ttmuPvGLW7QI/giphy.gif

Wait! I changed my mind! I HATE HEIGHTS! *CRUNCH*

In all seriousness, though, I really, really wish smartphones would just go away and never come back. Worst invention of the last 50 years. Cell phone should be phones and nothing else. I don't just hate what smartphones have done to gaming (mobile isn't really a threat or anything, but it has brought the sorriest excuses for games I've seen since that Big Rigs game). I hate what they've done to people and how they interact with each other. People get absorbed in those infernal things, often to the point where they're dead to the world. They'll stop in mid-conversation just to see a reply to a text or check their Facebook. They act like they can't live without the damn things, even though they went through life just fine without them not even a decade ago. Some people in my grandparent's generation called television "the idiot box," but smartphones are a hundred times the "idiot box" TV ever was.

me and you are in sync. I had to stop selling cell phones because people are just idiots about them. crying because they can't get said iphone day 1, losing their minds because their phone needs repair and they're going to be without it for 1-2 days, and as you said, just can't function without checking it every 5 minutes. I wonder if it will ever change.

I do think using a cell phone game to acquire in game currency, experience, or interact with others is a great idea. Imagine if they made Mario games harder, but allowed you to earn extra lives in a mini game on your smart phone in the same theme as the main console game. You could spend your day at work, school, amassing the extra men you'll need for a hardcore gaming session at night.