By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The mobile games industry gives their opinions about Nintendo entering the mobile space

Euphoria14 said:
uran10 said:

I predict tht you will be wrong because certain people hate mobile games... like myself. Never even played the retarded facebook games, 0% chance I'll touch a game on my smartphone regardless of who made it or not.

Okay, of course I don't actually mean every single gamer. It was more towards the belief that it will become accepted. Similar to how DLC was hated but now accepted. Subscriptions were hated but once Nintendo does it it will become accepted.

It has been a recurring theme. I expect quite a few "Nintendo does mobile games the right way." comments in the future.

If Nintendo's mobile games are good and cheap, I'll play them. My only worry is that this will take away resources from their dedicated gaming platforms.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
Euphoria14 said:

Okay, of course I don't actually mean every single gamer. It was more towards the belief that it will become accepted. Similar to how DLC was hated but now accepted. Subscriptions were hated but once Nintendo does it it will become accepted.

It has been a recurring theme. I expect quite a few "Nintendo does mobile games the right way." comments in the future.

If Nintendo's mobile games are good and cheap, I'll play them. My only worry is that this will take away resources from their dedicated gaming platforms.

I'm sure they will be enjoyable. I personally can't wait to see what kind of games they bring.

I hope this is the start of mobile gaming really raising their game.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

daredevil.shark said:
Lol. These developers are really worried. This can turn either way around. BTW from now on there will be a confusion. Is it "Nintendo discussion" or "mobile discussion"?

This has an obvious solution.  It's mobile if it's mobile, and it's Nintendo if it's about Nintendo.  Nintendo's mobile will fit under mobile, since it would be more relevant.  If it's a discussion with mobile in it but it's more about Nintendo, you put it under Nintendo.  It's kind of the same when discussing any other overlapping topics.

RolStoppable said:
It feels like half of them don't really know what Nintendo announced.

There's not much ambiguity about what Nintendo announced. They're making smartphone games. All Nintendo IP are possible for smartphone and Nintendo will develop the games on top of investing $180 million dollars into DeNA to handle the upkeep of such games. The games will be made from the ground up and tailored specifically to the smartphone market to ensure quality. 

That's all straight from Mr. Iwata. 

This isn't some little side project. 

RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

There's not much ambiguity about what Nintendo announced. They're making smartphone games. All Nintendo IP are possible for smartphone and Nintendo will develop the games on top of investing $180 million dollars into DeNA to handle the upkeep of such games. 

This isn't some little side project. 

Well, you are one of the guys who didn't really understand it either.

When I read things like "Nintendo is taking smartphones seriously as a primary gaming device", "imagine playing Zelda [like it is on consoles] on smartphones" or "this way Nintendo can raise a wall between hardcore gamers [their console side] and casual gamers [their smartphone games], yay", then I get a really good chuckle.

They are taking smartphone gaming seriously. Nintendo never invests big dollars in anything the $180 million investment in DeNA is among the largest I can ever remember them making and I've been following Nintendo for 20+ years. 

The guy just said imagine playing Zelda on iOS/Android, and he's probably not wrong. There almost certainly will be a Zelda game (probably many of them) on iOS/Android, the DS Zelda titles already laid a foundation for how touchscreen Zelda can work. 

The whole point of doing this is to get these IP to a real mass audience, Zelda is certainly one of the IP Nintendo would want to introduce to a new generation of kids and gamers. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
RolStoppable said:

Well, you are one of the guys who didn't really understand it either.

When I read things like "Nintendo is taking smartphones seriously as a primary gaming device", "imagine playing Zelda [like it is on consoles] on smartphones" or "this way Nintendo can raise a wall between hardcore gamers [their console side] and casual gamers [their smartphone games], yay", then I get a really good chuckle.

They are taking smartphone gaming seriously. Nintendo never invests big dollars in anything the $180 million investment in DeNA is among the largest I can ever remember them making and I've been following Nintendo for 20+ years. 

The guy just said imagine playing Zelda on iOS/Android, and he's probably not wrong. There almost certainly will be a Zelda game (probably many of them) on iOS/Android, the DS Zelda titles already laid a foundation for how touchscreen Zelda can work. 

The whole point of doing this is to get these IP to a real mass audience, Zelda is certainly one of the IP Nintendo would want to introduce to a new generation of kids and gamers. 

They are not going to make traditional Zelda, Metroid, Mario etc games for mobiles. It will probably be small games. Puzzle games mostly Im guessing. They are still in the dedicated handheld market after all.

RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

The point is to grow Nintendo's core business. That's not going to work when Nintendo does what you said in the second paragraph, because that way the smartphone game is going to compete with a console game. That devalues Nintendo IP and that is exactly what Iwata said that Nintendo will avoid when making smartphone games.

Actually he said they don't want to delvaue their IP by making poor quality smartphone games. 

As for which IP will be on iOS/Android Iwata said every Nintendo IP is up for discussion, nothing is off the table. 

There's will be enough natural differences between games anyway, it's not like a overhead touch-based Zelda game, even one that is of good quality and is a full adventure neccessarily means a 3D OoT/SS Zelda on NX portable with full button play and graphics like this:

If anything it would be pretty stupid of Nintendo not to have Zelda games on iOS/Android. And they should be high quality games too. Simple to pick up and play sure, but that doesn't mean they have to be of low quality. 

That's a declining brand, unless you want it to be something that only a group of 40-year-olds sit around and play in 5-6 years time, they need to start introducing that IP to younger people in different ways. 

I have never heard of a single one of these companies. "Tittering monkey, in the spring he climbs treetops, and thinks himself tall."

RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

Actually he said they don't want to delvaue their IP by making poor quality smartphone games. 

As for which IP will be on iOS/Android Iwata said every Nintendo IP is up for discussion, nothing is off the table. 

There's will be enough natural differences between games anyway, it's not like a overhead touch-based Zelda game, even one that is of good quality and is a full adventure neccessarily means a 3D OoT/SS Zelda on NX portable with full button play and graphics like this:

If anything it would be pretty stupid of Nintendo not to have Zelda games on iOS/Android. And they should be high quality games too. Simple to pick up and play sure, but that doesn't mean they have to be of low quality. 

That's a declining brand, unless you want it to be something that only a group of 40-year-olds sit around and play in 5-6 years time, they need to start introducing that IP to younger people in different ways. 

See you've run out of arguments. 

Soundwave said:

Bad example. Those graphics would look right at home on mobile compared to Zelda Wii U.