By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - February 2015 NPD Thread! 3DS: 395k, PS4: 342k, XBO: 276k, WiiU: 96k

binary solo said:

He only did a pie chart for the home consoles this time right? So he didn't leak handheld info at all.

3DS was leaked by Nintendo... so he only leaked Vita but he leaks handheld every month.

Around the Network
razeredge said:
binary solo said:
Funny thing is, NPD would still get paid by big companies to track the data even if they published the hardware and top 10 software for free. NPD would say if u don't pay we don't track. And they would pay. And NPD can also copyright their data making re-publication by gaming media something they have to pay for. I think its the paying customers who want to be able to control PR that have demanded tighter non-disclosure conditions so they can control the narrative and spin around how their products are doing.

if so, then why aren't they doing shit in japan?

for example: xbo is an absolute failure in japan. that's horrible pr. why doesn't microsoft do anything in japan to limit public disclosure of data?

i think that's a minor part of it, but i think it's much more that they're excessively greedy because of their monopoly situation.

media create faces off against famitsu for clients, so they have an incentive to be more liberal with data disclosure.

but npd is all on its own in usa tracking. we really need someone to step up and be a competitor.

it could be a perfect evolution for vgchartz. instead of relying so much on algorithms, ioi, go sign a deal with the major usa retailers and give them some real competition.

maybe then they would start publishing the hardware + top 10 software like they used to.

Because the sales trackers in Japan only aren't doing sales tracking to make money from selling the data to gaming companies and financial institutions. Famitsu and Dengeki are gamer magazines and they publish sales in order to sell their magazine to gamers. Media Create is a sales tracker which wants to make money from selling its sales data, but there it is in competition with gaming magazines that have somewhat reliable independant sales tracking so if MS or any other gaming company put the screws on Media Create to keep the info confidential it would merely diminish Media Create's influence on the game industry sales narrative in the public domain, so it would have no effect at all on the PR/spin game that gaming companies might want to play. So there's no leverage for gaming companies to be able to apply to force sales data to remain under wraps.

If Edge Magazine employed an independant sales tracker and published monthly hardware and top 20 softare sales for the USA, to say the nearest 1,000 for hardware, and that data was routinely within a couple of % of NPD's data, then you can bet your arse that NPD sales + top 20 software would become public domain information in very short order. Indeed if I was runing a gaming magazine I'd employ a sales tracking company for a year to do exactly this and see how their data compares to NPD over that time, and if they are consistently reliable I would then start publishing the information. Or if I was a little bit dishonest I would set up a sales tracking company, do some rudimentary sales tracking but actually just buy NPD's numbers from Aquamarine and then publish them with random minor alterations to numbers (for instance if there is ~2000 sales difference between 2 games that sold 2-300K I would have them swap places with just ~1000 sales difference) to hide the fact that I am merely re-publishing NPD numbers. But I don't run a gaming magazine and I'm not a little bit dishonest.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
megaman79 said:
People are stupid here, what's new?

If we can call the NEW 3DS a different machine, then we can call the Kinect-less One another NEW machine. The logic makes no fucking sense.

THey're the same bloody machine, but ones got a few tweaks in RAM, etc.

It's funny how you can be so right and so wrong while making a single point. Your fundamental flaw is that buying a kinectless sku doesn't prevent you from ever playing kinect games, if you ever decide that just dance is a must have game you can go buy a kinect and you are sweet. With 3DS if you already own the old version you can't go out and buy a clip on device to make it able to play N3DS only games, you have to buy a whole new 3DS.

However I agree that N3DS should be regarded as the same gen product and counted together. Yes I am okay but I really don't want to talk right now. I will see you guys on Monday But I think any company that does a hardware refresh mid-gen making the previous hardware unable to play all future game releases is being an arsehole dick wanker. This applies to any company that does this not just Nintendo. 

Except that's not the case with the New 3DS. There's only one game announced for it. Games like Majora's Mask 3D, MH4U, Codename STEAM, Fire Emblem If, etc. work on a regular 3DS.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Skullwaker said:
binary solo said:

It's funny how you can be so right and so wrong while making a single point. Your fundamental flaw is that buying a kinectless sku doesn't prevent you from ever playing kinect games, if you ever decide that just dance is a must have game you can go buy a kinect and you are sweet. With 3DS if you already own the old version you can't go out and buy a clip on device to make it able to play N3DS only games, you have to buy a whole new 3DS.

However I agree that N3DS should be regarded as the same gen product and counted together. Yes I am okay but I really don't want to talk right now. I will see you guys on Monday But I think any company that does a hardware refresh mid-gen making the previous hardware unable to play all future game releases is being an arsehole dick wanker. This applies to any company that does this not just Nintendo. 

Except that's not the case with the New 3DS. There's only one game announced for it. Games like Majora's Mask 3D, MH4U, Codename STEAM, Fire Emblem If, etc. work on a regular 3DS.

And you believe there won't be more? Third parties will wait and see how sales go to see if there will be an install base worth making a game that makes use of the new specs. If N3DS has the sales effect Nintendo are hoping it does then there will be a big enough install base for 3rd parties and Nintendo to make use of those better specs.

At the moment your defence amounts to, "no one will use the new specs for games so Nintendo aren't really being dicks, they are actually just being cynical by releasing new hardware that will get Nintendo fans to re-buy 3DS but that will never be used in any meaningful way." The motivations really aren't any better. Either way you cut it, doing a spec refresh is a dick move.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

New 3DS is not a new system.

Neither was the DSi/DSi XL (from DS), even though it had 4x the RAM of the DS, new cameras, new OS, and a new CPU.

Neither was the N64 RAM bundle. Yes, the N64 was bundled with DK64 + RAM Expansion Pak ... that wasn't playable on a regular N64. That doesn't make it a new system. That's just stupid (I'm sorry, no other way to put it).

Around the Network
binary solo said:

And you believe there won't be more? Third parties will wait and see how sales go to see if there will be an install base worth making a game that makes use of the new specs. If N3DS has the sales effect Nintendo are hoping it does then there will be a big enough install base for 3rd parties and Nintendo to make use of those better specs.

At the moment your defence amounts to, "no one will use the new specs for games so Nintendo aren't really being dicks, they are actually just being cynical by releasing new hardware that will get Nintendo fans to re-buy 3DS but that will never be used in any meaningful way." The motivations really aren't any better. Either way you cut it, doing a spec refresh is a dick move.

Never said they're not being dicks. Just correcting your statement of every title not being playable on the old system. The DSi only had 5 exclusives (none of which were high profile), do you really think the New 3DS, a system that will likely sell less LT, will have more exclusives?

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

I'm actually surprised so many people pay a lot of money to rebuy the same system again with a few upgrades. Nintendo makes a lot of money off their hardcore fans. Makes you wonder if they'll design their next one with revisions in mind. Instead of just putting out the best console they can to begin with.

Kerotan said:
I'm actually surprised so many people pay a lot of money to rebuy the same system again with a few upgrades. Nintendo makes a lot of money off their hardcore fans. Makes you wonder if they'll design their next one with revisions in mind. Instead of just putting out the best console they can to begin with.

This isn't really how it works.  No console manufacturer ACTUALLY gives you the best they can to begin with.  Revisions like with the 3DS have more to do with price and feedback.  Nintendo is also not the only one that does redesigns.  Look at the PSP, and the PS Vita even.

binary solo said:
Skullwaker said:

Yeah.... but thats not what all the N3DS is about so?

MDMAlliance said:
Kerotan said:

This isn't really how it works.  No console manufacturer ACTUALLY gives you the best they can to begin with.  Revisions like with the 3DS have more to do with price and feedback.  Nintendo is also not the only one that does redesigns.  Look at the PSP, and the PS Vita even.

I'd argue the ps4 couldn't have been much better to begin with.  The handheld revisions seem to get way more people rebuying than consoles do when they get a revision.