By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - February 2015 NPD Thread! 3DS: 395k, PS4: 342k, XBO: 276k, WiiU: 96k

Welfare said:
Kerotan said:

Last month doesn't prove they tracked them this month.  Is there any evidence either way? 

If NPD start a year collecting data for a product, they're going to wait for the end of the year to end collecting data. It would be unprofessional to have data for half the year tracked, but not the other half. It's why Media Create and Famitsu waited until 2015 to stop tracking 360 and Wii.

Makes sense.  Is there a source that backs this up or a case where they ever stopped during the year? 

Also is the Wii still tracked? 

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Welfare said:

If NPD start a year collecting data for a product, they're going to wait for the end of the year to end collecting data. It would be unprofessional to have data for half the year tracked, but not the other half. It's why Media Create and Famitsu waited until 2015 to stop tracking 360 and Wii.

Makes sense.  Is there a source that backs this up or a case where they ever stopped during the year? 

look at the gaf media create threads. famitsu / media create randomly stopped at the end of 2014.

but the npd group isn't like them. back in the day (like 10 years ago) we used to get leaks of like....the n64 sold 3 consoles in jan. 2005...things like that.

it's proof that the npd group never stops tracking anything.

megaman79 said:
People are stupid here, what's new?

If we can call the NEW 3DS a different machine, then we can call the Kinect-less One another NEW machine. The logic makes no fucking sense.

THey're the same bloody machine, but ones got a few tweaks in RAM, etc.

It's funny how you can be so right and so wrong while making a single point. Your fundamental flaw is that buying a kinectless sku doesn't prevent you from ever playing kinect games, if you ever decide that just dance is a must have game you can go buy a kinect and you are sweet. With 3DS if you already own the old version you can't go out and buy a clip on device to make it able to play N3DS only games, you have to buy a whole new 3DS.

However I agree that N3DS should be regarded as the same gen product and counted together. But I think any company that does a hardware refresh mid-gen making the previous hardware unable to play all future game releases is being an arsehole dick wanker. This applies to any company that does this not just Nintendo. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

razeredge said:
Kerotan said:

They could have decided after last month it ain't worth their time no more.  

If I was to guess I'd say they are still tracking them but it's still possible.  

i find it really interesting how creamsugar leaked ps4 / xbo / wii u / vita, but didn't leak ps3 / 360 at all. is this the sign of the future for npd threads? will we just get four systems instead of the whole spectrum from now on?

why did he leak ps4 / xbo / wii u / vita / wii / ps3 / 360 last month, but only four systems this month? maybe he's scared of leaking too much stuff because of the npd crackdown on aquamarine?

i hope he won't start sharing even less in the future, but it's definitely possible at this point.

Over on GAF we only really care about PS4, XB1, Wii U, and 3DS so we can do our prediction game. Cream throws in Vita for the fuck of it, and if they're feeling generous, will throw in other systems.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

razeredge said:
Kerotan said:

They could have decided after last month it ain't worth their time no more.  

If I was to guess I'd say they are still tracking them but it's still possible.  

the npd group NEVER stops tracking anything

they still track the ps2, the psp, the ds, the wii, etc.

it just never gets leaked.

i find it really interesting how creamsugar leaked ps4 / xbo / wii u / vita, but didn't leak ps3 / 360 at all. is this the sign of the future for npd threads? will we just get four systems instead of the whole spectrum from now on?

why did he leak ps4 / xbo / wii u / vita / wii / ps3 / 360 last month, but only four systems this month? maybe he's scared of leaking too much stuff because of the npd crackdown on aquamarine?

i hope he won't start sharing even less in the future, but it's definitely possible at this point.

He only did a pie chart for the home consoles this time right? So he didn't leak handheld info at all.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
binary solo said:
razeredge said:

He only did a pie chart for the home consoles this time right? So he didn't leak handheld info at all.

this month creamsugar leaked the home console pie, and he also leaked psv <30k, psvtv >30k

so yes, he did leak more than just the home consoles.

i'm just wondering if this will be the new norm now that aqua's gone and all the other npd insiders on gaf have been scared off except for creamsugar.

binary solo said:
razeredge said:

We got Vita < 30k and PSTV > 30k

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

Funny thing is, NPD would still get paid by big companies to track the data even if they published the hardware and top 10 software for free. NPD would say if u don't pay we don't track. And they would pay. And NPD can also copyright their data making re-publication by gaming media something they have to pay for. I think its the paying customers who want to be able to control PR that have demanded tighter non-disclosure conditions so they can control the narrative and spin around how their products are doing.

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Funny thing is, NPD would still get paid by big companies to track the data even if they published the hardware and top 10 software for free. NPD would say if u don't pay we don't track. And they would pay. And NPD can also copyright their data making re-publication by gaming media something they have to pay for. I think its the paying customers who want to be able to control PR that have demanded tighter non-disclosure conditions so they can control the narrative and spin around how their products are doing.

if so, then why aren't they doing shit in japan?

for example: xbo is an absolute failure in japan. that's horrible pr. why doesn't microsoft do anything in japan to limit public disclosure of data?

i think that's a minor part of it, but i think it's much more that they're excessively greedy because of their monopoly situation.

media create faces off against famitsu for clients, so they have an incentive to be more liberal with data disclosure.

but npd is all on its own in usa tracking. we really need someone to step up and be a competitor.

it could be a perfect evolution for vgchartz. instead of relying so much on algorithms, ioi, go sign a deal with the major usa retailers and give them some real competition.

maybe then they would start publishing the hardware + top 10 software like they used to.

Welfare said:

Over on GAF we only really care about PS4, XB1, Wii U, and 3DS so we can do our prediction game. Cream throws in Vita for the fuck of it, and if they're feeling generous, will throw in other systems.

He shares Vita because it is 8th generation...

And yes GAF doesn't care about 7th generation anymore... well me too.