By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - February 2015 NPD Thread! 3DS: 395k, PS4: 342k, XBO: 276k, WiiU: 96k

Kerotan said:
MDMAlliance said:

This isn't really how it works.  No console manufacturer ACTUALLY gives you the best they can to begin with.  Revisions like with the 3DS have more to do with price and feedback.  Nintendo is also not the only one that does redesigns.  Look at the PSP, and the PS Vita even.

I'd argue the ps4 couldn't have been much better to begin with.  The handheld revisions seem to get way more people rebuying than consoles do when they get a revision. 

The PS4 could have been stronger.  It's not impossible for Sony to put more hardware upgrades into the system, but they decided against it in the interest of maintaining lower manufacturing costs and lower sale price.  To think that the PS4 COULDN'T have been better is ignorant at best.  

The handheld revisions ARE in order to get more people to buy the system, including those who will rebuy.  HOWEVER, claiming they could have done it from the beginning and saying they didn't IN ORDER to do this kind of shows that you don't understand how the decisions are made for hardware.  If you want to talk about why the 3DS only had one analog stick, look at the size of the original 3DS.  Some can argue that you could have fit another on there, or made it into the c-stick it is now, but there are quite a few complications that go along with that.  Ergonomics is likely the main reason for not implementing one.  The New 3DS is slightly larger than the regular 3DS by the way (possibly due to the addition of the c-stick). 
As technology gets better and cheaper, new possibilties come up.  That's where the revisions come in.

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:
Kerotan said:

I'd argue the ps4 couldn't have been much better to begin with.  The handheld revisions seem to get way more people rebuying than consoles do when they get a revision. 

The PS4 could have been stronger.  It's not impossible for Sony to put more hardware upgrades into the system, but they decided against it in the interest of maintaining lower manufacturing costs and lower sale price.  To think that the PS4 COULDN'T have been better is ignorant at best.  

The handheld revisions ARE in order to get more people to buy the system, including those who will rebuy.  HOWEVER, claiming they could have done it from the beginning and saying they didn't IN ORDER to do this kind of shows that you don't understand how the decisions are made for hardware.  If you want to talk about why the 3DS only had one analog stick, look at the size of the original 3DS.  Some can argue that you could have fit another on there, or made it into the c-stick it is now, but there are quite a few complications that go along with that.  Ergonomics is likely the main reason for not implementing one.  The New 3DS is slightly larger than the regular 3DS by the way (possibly due to the addition of the c-stick). 
As technology gets better and cheaper, new possibilties come up.  That's where the revisions come in.

You misunderstood what I meant regarding the ps4. Of course it could have been better but I highly doubt there will be a NPS4 that has certain games exclusive to just it.  Seems like they did that to increase the number of rebuys.  

Kerotan said:
MDMAlliance said:

You misunderstood what I meant regarding the ps4. Of course it could have been better but I highly doubt there will be a NPS4 that has certain games exclusive to just it.  Seems like they did that to increase the number of rebuys.  

That's because it doesn't really work for home consoles, as the past has shown us.   Handhelds are a little different, since they are cheaper than home consoles, and they tend to experience more abuse due to the fact that the entire system gets handled physically much more than home consoles do.  It's only natural that people are more inclined to replacing technology that physically gets used more than one that sits around (PC vs smart phone/laptop/tablet).  

Plus, the N3DS only has one exclusive announced for it and it's not even out yet... and the exclusive is a port.  The N3DS also runs the same OS as the regular 3DS, and is essentially the same architecture, except with several beefed up parts.

MDMAlliance said:
Kerotan said:

That's because it doesn't really work for home consoles, as the past has shown us.   Handhelds are a little different, since they are cheaper than home consoles, and they tend to experience more abuse due to the fact that the entire system gets handled physically much more than home consoles do.  It's only natural that people are more inclined to replacing technology that physically gets used more than one that sits around (PC vs smart phone/laptop/tablet).  

Plus, the N3DS only has one exclusive announced for it and it's not even out yet... and the exclusive is a port.  The N3DS also runs the same OS as the regular 3DS, and is essentially the same architecture, except with several beefed up parts.

i guess the one thing we can take from this is the number of unique owners of handhelds is a lot less than consoles. It would also explain why handhelds sell way less softare than home consoles. 

Skullwaker said:
binary solo said:

And you believe there won't be more? Third parties will wait and see how sales go to see if there will be an install base worth making a game that makes use of the new specs. If N3DS has the sales effect Nintendo are hoping it does then there will be a big enough install base for 3rd parties and Nintendo to make use of those better specs.

At the moment your defence amounts to, "no one will use the new specs for games so Nintendo aren't really being dicks, they are actually just being cynical by releasing new hardware that will get Nintendo fans to re-buy 3DS but that will never be used in any meaningful way." The motivations really aren't any better. Either way you cut it, doing a spec refresh is a dick move.

Never said they're not being dicks. Just correcting your statement of every title not being playable on the old system. The DSi only had 5 exclusives (none of which were high profile), do you really think the New 3DS, a system that will likely sell less LT, will have more exclusives?

Sorry, that was boneheaded of me. I never meant to write all future releases would be unplayable. So your correction is appropriate.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
binary solo said:
Sorry, that was boneheaded of me. I never meant to write all future releases would be unplayable. So your correction is appropriate.

No worries, lol. I was very confused and just wanted to make sure you knew that wasn't the case.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

SpokenTruth said:
Kerotan said:
I'm actually surprised so many people pay a lot of money to rebuy the same system again with a few upgrades. Nintendo makes a lot of money off their hardcore fans. Makes you wonder if they'll design their next one with revisions in mind. Instead of just putting out the best console they can to begin with.

Playstation:
Models - 44
Revisions - 3
Designs - 6
Colors - 5

Playstation 2:
Models - 87
Revisions - 15
Designs - 4
Colors - 26

Playstation Portable:
Models - ?
Revisions - 21+
Designs - 5
Colors - 17+

Playstation 3:
Models - 45+
Revisions - 14+
Designs - 3
Colors - 23+

PS Vita:
Models - ?
Revisions - 7+
Designs - 3
Colors - 10

I'm inclined to believe that those numbers are misleading.  All those different models you're seeing are most likely updates to the hardware to make failure and overheating less likely to happen, but not actual upgrades to the hardware's power.  Maybe a few ports will appear here and there, or the size may change... but Kerotan was mostly referring to the 3DS vs the N3DS, which is a bit different.  

Kerotan said:
I'm actually surprised so many people pay a lot of money to rebuy the same system again with a few upgrades. Nintendo makes a lot of money off their hardcore fans. Makes you wonder if they'll design their next one with revisions in mind. Instead of just putting out the best console they can to begin with.

Programmed Obsolescence at play... launch a system, then make it bigger, then bigger, then more powerfull... Have some fools buy all of them. While they could at least already launched it the bigger possible.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I think the 3DS userbase is a lot smaller than 50 million, considering all the people who keep buying different editions of the same handheld. I guess its something like 18 million.

GTAexpert said:
I think the 3DS userbase is a lot smaller than 50 million, considering all the people who keep buying different editions of the same handheld. I guess its something like 18 million.

Nintendo doesn't care

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3