By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - With the Uncharted 4 delay, a PS4 for $299 later this year does not feel far off.

Shadow1980 said:
Soundwave said:

The thing is honestly I don't exclusives are as big of a deal as "console warriors" on sites like these make it out to be.

The PS4 got termed the "console to buy" early in the gen because they made better design decisions than MS did with the X1 (banking on Kinect 2.0, underpowered chip, too much on TV/non-gaming).

But now it creates a cycle, if my friend has a PS4, then given a choice between a PS4/X1, I'm buying a PS4. Because I want to be able to play Madden NFL/NBA 2K/Call of Duty/etc. with my friend online.

I think really that's more of the thought process with the "average Joe" gamer. All this stuff about exclusives and release list dick measuring doesn't factor into their purchase decision as much as people here think.

More or less. Overall libraries seem to make more of a difference than anything. I can think of only three exclusive games that made a huge difference to the fortunes of the system they were on: Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog (possibly), Final Fantasy VII, and Halo. Otherwise, exclusives are simply short-term (usu. ≤1 month boost) system-sellers. Of course, back in the 80s & 90s exclusives comprised significantly greater portions of each system's library, but things have changed, with third parties making multiplatform releases increasingly standard over the past three generations. The PS4 and XBO share over 90% of the same games: they both have COD, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, Destiny, FIFA, Madden, Far Cry, etc., etc. Unless one is a huge Halo fan or a huge Uncharted fan or whatever, exclusives won't make much of a difference in the long run. The sales leaders are now determined more by pricing, marketing, brand strength, and regional differences in sales patterns. The 360 beat the PS3 in the U.S. more because of the latter's high launch price than anything else, and probably for the same reason it was able to sell fairly well in Europe despite selling significantly slower than the PS3. Meanwhile, the PR blunders of spring 2013 and the $100 higher launch price crippled the XBO's momentum and tarnished the brand's name for many gamers, thus allowing Sony to recapture the top spot.

I wouldn't rule out the "better version of multiplats" element either. While it's clear the 6th gen was uninfluenced by this, I think the 7th gen made a thing of relative performance of multiplats with sites like Lens of Truth (where are they BTW?) and Digital Foundry.  Price, reputation and brand are probably the biggest factors but "which version looks best?" is part of it.

Nintendo is of course a very different beast. For Nintendo it is actually all about the exclusives. If Nintendo exclusives had a better general market appeal Nintendo would win every generation because people would say screw CoD I need to play ... but then because Nintendo's exclusives would be briging Cod fans to their console so CoD would be there too. But Nintnedo's exclusives are not in that position, so they are lagging instead of leading.

I do feel a $100 price cut coming on. Sony may have been mulling $50 with some Uncharted bundling and some special temporary deals. But with the Uncharted holiday pivot gone I think they will look to go straight to $299. The BF and similar deals will not be lower pricing, but increased value with bundling and gift cards. About 6 weeks will tell when we get Sony's PS4 shipment projections for the next financial year.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Wagram said:
Not a chance of a $299 price with them being so far ahead in sales.

I simply don't understand why this is such a common viewpoint. The PS2 had an even greater market share than the PS4, crushing everything in its path, yet it got a price cut only 19 months after launch. As I pointed out earlier, sales simply can't grow without price cuts, at least under normal conditions, and as it turns out the PS4's sales are at best flat from last year. Price cuts are the single biggest stimulator of sales there is. There will be a price cut this year. Count on it.

A price cut is a possibility, but they aren't dropping it $100.

I think Sony already planned a pricecut,regardless of this. But it will max be $50.

I think this increases the possibility of GT7 launching on PS4 this year, as well as an Uncharted Collection. Would be great if they have a God Of War: Kratos Collection too with all 6 God Of War games running at 1080p60fps. Its definitely possible, since the lack of titles to compete with Halo 5: Guardians and ROTTR must be troubling for Sony.

LordLichtenstein said:
This is getting ridiculous.

Knack - mediocre
Killzone: Shadow Fall - Decent
Infamous: Second Son - Decent
Driveclub - Delayed & horrible launched
LittleBigPlanet 3 - mediocre
The Order: 1886 - Delayed & mediocre

And now U4 is delayed.

What is going on Shu?

That's not really fair even if it's true. Look at who made those games.

1.) Of course it was terrible. Japan Studios has been underwhelming all last gen. There must have been major shakeups there or something. Talk about asleep at the wheel. Plus...it was a launch title. Better left forgotten.

2.) Guerrilla Games. A decent studio tha makes decent games. Killzone 4 was decent. It's not like they have ever made a really good game before. This game falls in line with what is expected of them based on their track record.

3.) Same case as Guerrilla Games. Good studio makes a good game. Not great but looking at last gen, infamous 1 and 2 were never anything more than just good games. No more no less.

4.) Evolution studios. They've been decling ever since they made Motorstorm. Wasn't their last game an RC car racer. PASS.

5.) New studio right? Or were they a psp developer? Either way, no surprise here.

6.) Again, new studio or psp developer? Or did they used to just port games?

I'm sure Naughty Dog will do great this generation as usual.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network

$50 is the max price cut I could see happening. Sony wants to make some money this gen to make up for the PS3's first few years.

Bets:

1. If the Wii U sells closer to 10 million LTD by 1/3/2015 I win. If it sells closer to 9.5 million LTD by 1/3/2015 OfficerRaichu15 wins (winner gets 2 weeks of avatar control)--Lost.

No. Even if they dropped their price to $350 in June they would start pulling away from Microsoft again.

As for everyone talking about Sonys games it generally takes them two years for Sony to pick up steam. Most of Sony's studios get used to make their bigger games than Microsoft as well. Microsoft tends to pay more outside studios.

Perhaps they will but seriously they don't have to. It would still still enough in Europe and would give a lot of money to them. It has the better image this gen and a very big userbase advantage already.

Shadow1980 said:
binary solo said:

I wouldn't rule out the "better version of multiplats" element either. While it's clear the 6th gen was uninfluenced by this, I think the 7th gen made a thing of relative performance of multiplats with sites like Lens of Truth (where are they BTW?) and Digital Foundry.  Price, reputation and brand are probably the biggest factors but "which version looks best?" is part of it.

Possibly.

Nintendo is of course a very different beast. For Nintendo it is actually all about the exclusives. If Nintendo exclusives had a better general market appeal Nintendo would win every generation because people would say screw CoD I need to play ... but then because Nintendo's exclusives would be briging Cod fans to their console so CoD would be there too. But Nintnedo's exclusives are not in that position, so they are lagging instead of leading.

Nintendo has relied almost entirely on their own exclusives for the past two generations, but their exclusives alone can't support a system no matter how good they are. The Wii succeeded through its low price relative to the 360 & PS3, a gimmick that really clicked with gamers everywhere (and attracted a periphery demographic, though I'm still convinced they're a minority of Wii owners), and slick marketing which really sold the overall vision of the system as offering "new" ways to play games (motion controls have been around since at least the late 80s, but the Wii was the first time they were really done right). The Wii U didn't have the price advantage the Wii had, its gimmick is not resonating with anybody, and the marketing for the system was terrible. It has just as many great exclusive games as the Wii had, but as it lacks the strengths the Wii had, it doesn't appeal to anyone outside of core Nintendo fans.

Like I said, exclusives aren't as important as they used to be. Nintendo has one of two choices next generation: 1) continue with the Wii line and hope it gimmick is a good enough selling point to make their next console popular, or 2) make a conventional console with enough power to match the PS5 and draw in support from third parties. For four generations straight, Nintendo has made hardware design choices that turned off many third parties (either because of format like with the N64 & GC or because of insufficient power like with the Wii & Wii U), and so far only one of those four was a huge success. That's not a good track record. If I was Nintendo, I'd make a system third parties actually want to develop all their latest and greatest games for. GTA, Far Cry, Final Fantasy, etc. on the same system as Mario, Smash, Zelda, etc. Sounds like a winner in my book.

@ not bolded. How do you figure? If Wii mostly sold to gamers then we should expect gen 8 to achieve an install base roughly similar to gen 7. If gamers bought Wii+an HD console then they will do the same this gen, because Wii U certainly has the same level of appeal to gamers as Wii did. But when you look at the best selling software it is highly suggestive of a large proportion of "never were gamers before Wii". My own personal experience is that every person I know who bought a Wii had never owned a game console before and the only games they played on PC were the likes of Minesweeper. Every perwson I know who bought a PS3 or 360 had previously owned a console. But I do have one counterfactual anecdote in that one family I know bought a Wii for their youngest kid and the older kid got given a 360+Kinect for his birthday. The younger kid became a gamer, but the older kid was never a gamer and hasn't become one. So this gen the family has a Wii U only.

My opinion on the breakdown of Wii ownership is: ~20 million carry over from GC,  ~30 million former PS2 owners and primary PS3/360 owners buying Wii as a second console, ~50 million newbies. So 50/50 split I reckon. There might be more on the 2nd camp and less in the 3rd, but even if so the newbies are the plurality for Wii even if not the majority.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

A $299 Ps4 probably won't be coming until like late 2016/ early 2017.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P