Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 2015 vs Wii 2008

How's the thread?

Decent thread 3 33.33%

Interesting 3 33.33%

Boring, please die 3 33.33%

Total:9
TruckOSaurus said:
kopstudent89 said:
Yeah Wii got MK and Wii Fit in April and May. So nothing will compete with the impact of those two

Don't forget Brawl in March. 

True that! It actually outsold the 360 and PS3 combined during GTA 4 month. 675k in May 08 in the US alone! I can't see another console doing that at least in this gen. 10m in the US alone and it could've sold more if it wasn't so supply constrained. 

Around the Network
kljesta64 said:
leo-j said:
399 vs 249

powerful console vs not so powerful console

Selling to non gamers that did not strenghten the brand's future vs selling to gamers that will keep the brand strong ?

The PS4 is undertracked by 300 to 400k on vgchartz right now.

But still, Wii will stay ahead for the next 2 years. The console literally burned through its sales in 3-4 years. PS4 will have a much healthier life cycle overall.

thedawghousev2 said:
Mummelmann said:
The PS4 won't get close to the Wii's 24-24.5 million for that year, regardless of adjustments. But this would have been the peak year for the Wii so they're bound to intersect at some point in the next 3-4 years probably.

if ps4 gets a $100 price cut around november with uncharted 4 and they make sure they have enough stock, obviously along with all of the other sales this year, i could see ps4 selling 19 or 20 million this year, maybe even more depending on when they drop the price.

I won't say it's impossible, I underestimated the PS4 a great deal last year, but I still think about 20% growth in 2015 is the most we'll see (so about 17 million or so this year). This would be both normal and very healthy growth for any home console.

Turkish said:
The PS4 is undertracked by 300 to 400k on vgchartz right now.

But still, Wii will stay ahead for the next 2 years. The console literally burned through its sales in 3-4 years. PS4 will have a much healthier life cycle overall.

600k undertracked. We should campare the official numbers from ninty to sony.

Around the Network

This will be fun! To be fair, both Mario Kart AND Smash Bros released on the Wii in 2008, so it has a strong game edge.

PS4 has Uncharted but not until the holidays.

RCTjunkie said:
This will be fun! To be fair, both Mario Kart AND Smash Bros released on the Wii in 2008, so it has a strong game edge.

based off of what i've seen on the internet, bloodborne should be a pretty decent system seller also.

thedawghousev2 said:
RCTjunkie said:

based off of what i've seen on the internet, bloodborne should be a pretty decent system seller also.

Looks really cool, so I can see why!

If it takes off, maybe it'll rival the established Kart and Smash. If Sony churns out a lot of great games I think they could overpass the Wii 2008 come holidays.

RCTjunkie said:
thedawghousev2 said:

If it takes off, maybe it'll rival the established Kart and Smash. If Sony churns out a lot of great games I think they could overpass the Wii 2008 come holidays.

i'm pretty sure wii fit came in 2008 also, i'm not expecting a win for ps4 here, but if it does, it will be exciting.

thedawghousev2 said:
RCTjunkie said:

i'm pretty sure wii fit came in 2008 also, i'm not expecting a win for ps4 here, but if it does, it will be exciting.

I blame Wii Fit