By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NPD Just Died On GAF

Well...this is unfortunate. What horrible timing, right? I'm afraid that we've been met with terrible news. Aquamarine is no more.

It's time to tell the whole story. My name is Aquamarine. I work at a pretty high-level position at JPMorgan Chase & Co.

I have been lurking NeoGAF since 2010. In early-2012 I decided to sign up with my own account and contribute.

I was quickly perma-banned as a junior back then because a mod misinterpreted my post as contributing to piracy (I was talking about WBFS partitions for personally-ripped Wii ISOs on external hard drives). But I bounced back. I made another account a week later (Aquamarine) and I've amassed...18,796 posts since then.

I've participated in countless sales threads.

In late 2012, because there were so few NPD leaks, I started helping GAF out here and there.

In the beginning, it was fine. NPD was more lax back then. They didn't know who I was. And really...a couple of leaks isn't going to hurt anybody. Nobody isn't going to stop subscribing to NPD numbers just because of a few leaks. It's utterly ridiculous how idiotic they've been about the whole matter.

But as they years have gone by, it's slowly escalated. Threatening memos about leaks, etc. NPD management has become increasingly intolerant and increasingly frustrating to deal with.

I've tried a variety of methods on GAF to appease them. Cryptic posts, leaks in hidden email tags, etc. But none of it stuck.

And a while ago, they found out who I was and confronted me / JPMorgan Chase directly. It was really nasty at that point.

That's when I made a super-inflammatory post and got myself banned for a month. I deserved it...but I essentially snapped because of all the stress I was put under. I had to go take a vacation away from work for a while.

But we calmed down, and afterwards I dropped all pretenses and tried to reason a deal with them. That's why I have no qualms saying where I'm from in my profile.

Every month that has gone by since, NPD management has become increasingly fickle and childish.

Last month I was reduced to a point where I was PMing people who requested numbers. And now, it's finally come to a bitter end. I flew too close to the sun.

I'm still part of JPMorgan Chase. I'm not going to get fired. We're still going to get NPD data. But Aquamarine is no more.

I'm forced to delete all of my public profiles. Previously, I was forced to delete my Twitter account and now I'm forced to delete my GAF account.

Obviously you can't exactly "delete" an account here. So the best I can do to appease them is a perma-ban. Right after this post I'm forced to ask for a perma-ban. If any mod sees this and I'm not banned yet, please permanently ban me.

There is absolutely no way around this. They're giving ultimatums. And to be honest, my job is more valuable to me than anything else.

So I'm very sorry to say this, but this will be my last post on NeoGAF. I love you guys, I love this community, and the last thing I want to do is abruptly leave.

But when I returned before I said that I wasn't sure how much longer this would last. And now, it's over.

To anyone else who leaks NPD data on GAF, watch your backs. The NPD Group is becoming increasingly vicious, and I am their latest casualty.

That doesn't mean I'm going to completely abandon GAF, though. I lurked GAF for two years before I registered an account. I'm going to go back to lurking the threads.

And, NPD Group-permitting, I will continue to post leaks at the super-secret base (for those in the know).

You can disseminate them to other GAF members privately. It just can't be out in the open.

And I would also like to continue to write the USA software / hardware release list in the OP and post NPD predictions. You know where to find me, donny2112.

So long, GAF. It's been a wild ride.

- Aquamarine

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=155230729&postcount=370

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

Dude, we wish you the best! We'll miss them NPD leaks! Also, kinda sad that this happens. The NPD leaks makes the chartz far more accurate! Anyway good luck at your job at JP Morgan, and I wish you the best of it!

Lol. Didnt she requested perma ban in past? She is seeking attention.

daredevil.shark said:

Did you read it?

The PS5 Exists. 

Why NPD is so restrictive? In Japan its opposite. Perhaps they want to sell data to big companies.

Around the Network

Good riddance?

I always preferred to have no NPD data at all than some cryptic bullshit.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

A reference to the post would be nice (like all ops that rely on a source - name the source via a link).

daredevil.shark said:
Why NPD is so restrictive? In Japan its opposite. Perhaps they want to sell data to big companies.

Its sad! Anyway I don't know why the NPD can't release anymore data for actual sales! Its really sad!

GribbleGrunger said:
daredevil.shark said:

Did you read it?

Yeah. Whatever. NPD data will find another way to get leacked.

R.i.p

At least we still have creamsugar, right? Also it's about time the chartz got some NPD leakers