By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can the PS4 really outsell the PS2?

Tagged games:

Hardly, but around 100-120m very posible.

Around the Network

No.

The current market context doesn't allow any console to do it. The market can change eventually but right now, nothing can sell as well as ps2.

N.O.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

No, I don't think it will sell as much as the Ps4 with or without VR.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network

its possible, although seems that the library on ps4 wont be as epic as the ps2 library, but thats no problem since ps4 isnt selling well due to the software library
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-26-top-factor-driving-ps4-purchases-is-better-resolution-survey
"
By Tom Phillips Published 26/02/2015

The top reason for buying a PlayStation 4 over its competitors this generation is the console's perceived "better resolution", a new US survey reports.

The study, undertaken by numbers company Nielsen, listed the top five reasons given by consumers for choosing either the PS4, Xbox One or Wii U.

4000 teens and adults were polled over two phases, before and after Christmas, as well as 400 children.

The second-most important feature listed by PS4 adopters was the console's Blu-ray player - a feature that Xbox One also boasts, but that only Sony included in its last-gen console (and is nowhere to be seen on the Xbox One's list).

The PS4's game library and "faster processing power" were also listed, ahead of it being simply "what the family wants".

Xbox One owners picked the console's brand as their top reason for purchasing, perhaps due to the high market share of the Xbox 360 last generation in North America.

The Xbox One's "innovative features" scored second place in its list (perhaps the lure of US cable TV compatibility, or even voice control and Kinect), followed by "faster processing power".

Exclusive games and content were also important - a reason not found at all on Sony's list. Microsoft has again managed to secure exclusive or timed-exclusive DLC and features for top franchises such as Call of Duty and FIFA this generation, along with its own strong stable of first-party brands such as Forza, Fable and Halo.

It's a completely different story for Wii U, where "fun factor" is the top reason for purchase, followed by its kid-friendly status, its price and value, its backwards compatibility (with the Wii, but perhaps also its Virtual Console) and its exclusive Nintendo games.

Nintendo also fares well in a table detailing last-gen console ownership, broken down by consumers' current console choice. 86 per cent of Wii U owners owned a Wii, the highest percentage of brand loyalty for any platform.

76 per cent of Xbox One owners had owned a Xbox 360, while just 66 per cent of PS4 owners had owned a PS3. But, crucially, more Xbox 360 owners jumped ship and bought a PS4 (59 per cent) than PS3 owners bought an Xbox One (43 per cent).

"

120M

it won't outsell PS2. If Japan can wake up from their economy and gamers would play console more then it might but as of the moment and trend of gaming it would be hard to surpass PS2.

BraLoD said:

Hello VGChartz, sup?

I just finished reading an article about Morpheus and the VR future and this question started to pick on me.

First, since when the PS4 releases I'm in the group who doesn't think it's going to happen.

While I believe it'll be extremely successful and sell around 120M units worldwide by the end of it's life, now I'm starting to question myself again.

The Playstation, the original, proved how much a console could grow, and the PS2 after it made it clear to everyone, if you hit the right price and is able to get to the mainstream you can get huge. That plus the high quality and vast diversity that Sony always provided their gamers made the success of this two, but the Wii also proved that not only the games + price is the way to appeal to them, also innovations can be very welcomed, and the Wii motion controls were a big blast. 

Now, can VR be the new thing?

Sony already have the lead in the market, a big one, the PS4 is already a success and it's futire only seems more and more bright, but can VR make ot go beyond what we expect?

Sony has showed us the hardware is more than enough in Morpheus, we always (at least the most of people) believe in Sony to deliver software and partner with high quality cstudios as well to always deliver a very pleaseble experience to its users, and with the PS4 has showed us again they know how to price things right and understand their consumers needs and expectations, so if they can give us a nice price to Morpheus, I can see it becoming a huge thing, maybe enough to put it over the all time king PS2.

I m talking about people telling eachother how cool it is, how they need to check it, and bring a lot of people to videogames again.

I honestly still don't know what to expect, but if Sony can get this thing on a nice price I may end up believing this will actually be the system to be able to say it's looking to the PS2 from the top.

Feel free to give your opinion guys, just don't make the mods want to swing the banhammer over your heads

No.

The only possible way for the PS4 to beat the PS2 is:

Total current console market size at least greater than or equal to that of total ps2 sales and PS4 having a greater percentage of the distribution the closer the current market size is to PS2 sales.

I.e

If TCCMS was 200 mil, PS4 would need approx 75%. This is basically the PS2's scenario

If TCCMS was 150 mil, PS4 would need approx 100%

Since PS4 is current around 50%, all else equal TCCMS would need to hit 300 mil

Keep in mind last gen topped at around 270 mil

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

No.

The only possible way for the PS4 to beat the PS2 is:

Total current console market size at least greater than or equal to that of total ps2 sales and PS4 having a greater percentage of the distribution the closer the current market size is to PS2 sales.

I.e

If TCCMS was 200 mil, PS4 would need approx 75%. This is basically the PS2's scenario

If TCCMS was 150 mil, PS4 would need approx 100%

Since PS4 is current around 50%, all else equal TCCMS would need to hit 300 mil

Keep in mind last gen topped at around 270 mil

PS4 is NOW at 50% of market, but you think that the trend will be this forever?

I think that PS4 will have 2/3 of  total market (66%)

PS4: 100M

XBO: 32M

WiiU: 18M