By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can the PS4 really outsell the PS2?

Tagged games:

Landguy said:
kitler53 said:

chertz,.. lulz.  the fallacy in the logic is too obvious to rexplain.

I guess thats the easy way to say that "i disagree, but can't prove it or am too lazy to".  I understand, as that normally would mean not commenting at all.

we just got updated numbers from sony a day or 2 ago.  either the order 1886 pushed ps4's sales to a ~500k+ its release week becoming the 2nd largest system seller since destiny,... or there is significant undertacking in jan/first two weeks of feb.  i think we all know it isn't option 1.

vgchartz has 2 weeks of missing data compared to sony's announcement and is ~800k units short.  the realistic answer is about 400k of that is undertacking which when divided over 6 weeks adds about 66k per week putting the YoY comparision about flat with last year.   aka the "slow in momentum" is a fallacy.

Around the Network
IFireflyl said:
No. PS2 had no real competition for a huge chunk of its lifespan. PS4 has competition (sad competition in comparison, but it is still there).

Plus PS2 had a LOCK on AAA third parties back then. If you didn't own a PS2, you were missing out on almost every huge third party game that released back then. 

Also, the console was a lot cheaper. People always try to use the tired inflation argument but the fact is, sticker shock is real. $199.99 in 2015 looks like $199.99 in 2002. We see the price, and we don't think about inflation. The PS2 had a more attractive price point.

kitler53 said:
Landguy said:
kitler53 said:

chertz,.. lulz.  the fallacy in the logic is too obvious to rexplain.

I guess thats the easy way to say that "i disagree, but can't prove it or am too lazy to".  I understand, as that normally would mean not commenting at all.

we just got updated numbers from sony a day or 2 ago.  either the order 1886 pushed ps4's sales to a ~500k+ its release week becoming the 2nd largest system seller since destiny,... or there is significant undertacking in jan/first two weeks of feb.  i think we all know it isn't option 1.

vgchartz has 2 weeks of missing data compared to sony's announcement and is ~800k units short.  the realistic answer is about 400k of that is undertacking which when divided over 6 weeks adds about 66k per week putting the YoY comparision about flat with last year.   aka the "slow in momentum" is a fallacy.

If you go back to the post I made, I said that it was likely that the PS4 would continu to sell at the same rate for the next 2 years.  So, I didn't say that the slowdown was really going to happen now...

It is near the end of the end....

AlfredoTurkey said:
IFireflyl said:
No. PS2 had no real competition for a huge chunk of its lifespan. PS4 has competition (sad competition in comparison, but it is still there).

Plus PS2 had a LOCK on AAA third parties back then. If you didn't own a PS2, you were missing out on almost every huge third party game that released back then. 

Also, the console was a lot cheaper. People always try to use the tired inflation argument but the fact is, sticker shock is real. $199.99 in 2015 looks like $199.99 in 2002. We see the price, and we don't think about inflation. The PS2 had a more attractive price point.

PS4 already proved its price point is atractive by selling +20,000,000.   And NO 199 now is not what 199 was even if you wish it ws to support your opinion.  These days 199 is what a nice sweater or shoes costs.  

It possible could, but I don't really think it can

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

I don't think many people expected it trump the PS2. The competition is too strong.

I think PS4 will easily sell between 100m-120m, but the other 40-60m needed to reach the PS2 won't be coming from any core audience. The market simply isn't that big for core gaming machines at the moment. Not with Wii U selling 15-20m and X1 another 40m-60m. VR may help but I definitely have to see more of whats on offer and at what price.

The One way I could see it quite easily reaching 150m+ is for sony to release a PS4k in 2017, same functioanlity, same architecture but 2.5 the strength and marketing emphasis on playing PS4 games at 1080p+ resolutions (upscaled to 4k) or playing games with improved graphics+better framerate (especially useful for VR). People have tried it in the past (N64DD) but I think the market is finally ready, especially with PS4 reducing in cost as quickly as it is and both it an X1 being very similar to PCs. if they were to do this and hold of their actual next gen system til 2020, then I think they would beat PS2. That is a massive If. 

Doing that would possibly mean them giving up market share of the following generation to MS/Nintendo assuming they went ahead and released a fully next gen system around the same period.

Landguy said:
BraLoD said:

Really? It's already over 20M, four more years like this and it's done.

The charts show that the momentum of the first 12 months has started to slow down.  Even if it maintains the sales pace for another 2 years (somewhat likely), it will start to slow down rapidly at that point.  There are and will be just too many choices for the casual crowd to support the sales rate long term.  I would guess 90 million...

The ps4 still sits at 400$ and is still selling like hotcackes. Not to mention japan and china arent even exposed as much to the ps4 right now, you allready can see how japanese sales are growing with every week. The potential for the ps4 is huge

It`s definitely possible that the PS4 could make it to those numbers, especially with the legs their consoles have. Though it`s hard to say at this point since the console is still young. How it will carry out from here, who knows. Maybe it will continue selling well, or maybe it`ll slow down. I`m a little skeptic of VR helping a lot. That`s an added price to the PS4 which could be a bit pricy, but if people really warm up to VR, it could have an impact. Though, I don`t know the general opinion of Morpheus.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:
It`s definitely possible that the PS4 could make it to those numbers, especially with the legs their consoles have. Though it`s hard to say at this point since the console is still young. How it will carry out from here, who knows. Maybe it will continue selling well, or maybe it`ll slow down. I`m a little skeptic of VR helping a lot. That`s an added price to the PS4 which could be a bit pricy, but if people really warm up to VR, it could have an impact. Though, I don`t know the general opinion of Morpheus.

Its sold 20m with No MGS FF GT GTA GoW Uncharted, rigth.  Sold 20m with no price cut.

Is it not safe to say with those games and a price cut which we all know is coming, that sales will grow.  

ZarskiSold said:
Cloudman said:

Its sold 20m with No MGS FF GT GTA GoW Uncharted, rigth.  Sold 20m with no price cut.

Is it not safe to say with those games and a price cut which we all know is coming, that sales will grow.  

It`s impressive that the PS4 sold so well lacking its key titles like those. I figure with those games coming out, it`ll continue to have good sales, but in the future, anything is possible.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread